satellite technician

bigbark34

Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
To: any technician

I would like to know are there any techs out there who could cut down on my installation time on installling (2)Dual tuner receivers, Ie. 322 & 522. Currently it may take me anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2/12 hours to do a dual tuner install. I would like any tips that would cut that time even shorter. Given it usually would take me from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours for a regular 4 receiver, regardless of wall fishes ,burying cable, or line runs. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :) Email:Bigbark34@yahoo.com

You could buy a wireless A/V sender to cut down on the wiring you would have to do to other rooms but I am sure that is not the answer you was looking for.

I'm trying to get faster myself man. One thing that has been working for me is not putting anything off. I used to go inside to set up receivers, activate, customer education, etc before I trenched my cable on a pole mount or Non-pen. My idea was that I could do it while the receivers were downloading, but it never worked out that way.

As far as dual tuner installs go, my advice would be: start getting creative with backfeeding or diplexing TV2. The more I backfeed my TV2 line, the more I realize that it is quicker in more cases than I originally thought.

Anyways.... Just get your process down and try to follow the exact same process every time.
The only other thing I've got is to ask a senior tech if you can ride along with him to a few jobs on one of your days off. Maybe you only need one or two tricks to add to your process to make it much faster.

I hope you find SOMETHING useful out of this man. Good luck to you bro.

Here is some help I got from another Tech. For new 1 722 new connects you should be around an hour if you are covering your bases if you are shorter than that the cable was ran, dish up, very sort runs, and you had a babysitter (no instruction needed no shs)lol.

You can pre build your dish, download receivers, and put batteries in remotes before hand to expedite time on site. If you can get bulk equip it will be faster and you can do it indoors which is also a plus. I just prebuild dishes myself but other techs do all of this to really speed things up.The reason for the batts in the remotes gets the receiver downloading faster as soon as you start that be calling dash for activations. When your done there go get remotes programed to TV's. Try and get all of your tooling in one bag/belt and know where things are. Frequent trips to the truck can kill you time wise also. Get your outside equip all out to where your putting the dish first and try and get everything there before starting. Also get a nice stripper/dikes cheap ones can slow you down. But do what makes you comfortable if you don't like it don't do it!! The more you do it the faster you will get :)

For more help sign up in the Installer Forum

If your nice to your Tech Your nice to yourself

Here is some help I got from another Tech. For new 1 722 new connects you should be around an hour if you are covering your bases if you are shorter than that the cable was ran, dish up, very sort runs, and you had a babysitter (no instruction needed no shs)lol.

You can pre build your dish, download receivers, and put batteries in remotes before hand to expedite time on site. If you can get bulk equip it will be faster and you can do it indoors which is also a plus. I just prebuild dishes myself but other techs do all of this to really speed things up.The reason for the batts in the remotes gets the receiver downloading faster as soon as you start that be calling dash for activations. When your done there go get remotes programed to TV's. Try and get all of your tooling in one bag/belt and know where things are. Frequent trips to the truck can kill you time wise also. Get your outside equip all out to where your putting the dish first and try and get everything there before starting. Also get a nice stripper/dikes cheap ones can slow you down. But do what makes you comfortable if you don't like it don't do it!! The more you do it the faster you will get :)

For more help sign up in the Installer Forum

If your nice to your Tech Your nice to yourself
Couldn't agree more, however, I'm sure we are not talking about the same thing.

Wow, this thread was brought up from 10 years ago. Now its mainly about the Hopper/Joey/Super Joey now, which ironically, has splitters involved now as well but can also use existing RG-59 in some circumstances for the Joey's. In practice, I always use RG-6.

Wow, this thread was brought up from 10 years ago. Now its mainly about the Hopper/Joey/Super Joey now, which ironically, has splitters involved now as well but can also use existing RG-59 in some circumstances for the Joey's. In practice, I always use RG-6.

its a double edge sword I always try to bring cable up to spec but older mdu's that do not allow new cable to be installed well you roll with whats there, because I have learned if you incomplete enough of these type jobs, management will be breathing down your neck and say get it done, its the same with grounding issues or pretty much anything else, that if you used policy 100% of the time.

Dish= Do It Some How.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts