Satellite Transitions Occuring This Weekend! 8/24/14--Postponed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Christopher Cromwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Lexington, KY.
This is an article I happened upon, trying to figure out when the much improved newer & stronger SES 3 Satellite will replace AMC 1 Satellite at 103W. I am wanting to receive the 103W C-Band with my upcoming dish experiment IF successful, so I was trying to gather more information to see if it would be worth the trouble without bothering anyone. Looks like after all that I have read and seen from the new footprint so far, I definitely want to try it! :) It's an experiment after all! After my dish experiments are successfully done, I will post everything in a new thread. This article came from Microspace.com, which included a youtube video explaining important instructions on how to best receive the new SES 3 signals from 103W. I plan to do that, give or take a few degrees on the skew on my stationary C-Band dish. I don't know how this will affect those of you with motorized dishes in relation to the new skew setting, maybe none at all? I'm not sure. But as you read this article for yourself (and keep this just to yourselves), you will see the proof that all of these satellite signals are not originally intended for us, but to cable headends and the like thereof. This is what I copied and pasted from microspace.com/satellites/satellite-transition:

Satellite Transition Information
AMC-1 to SES-3, Transponders 12 & 22

Previous Information:
As you know, Microspace Communications Corporation provides satellite services for your network in North America via the satellite known as AMC-1. AMC-1 is owned and operated by SES World Skies (SES). While AMC-1 continues to operate properly, it is approaching its end-of-life due to fuel requirements. SES successfully launched the replacement satellite in July, 2011. That replacement satellite is named SES-3. In a letter dated January 19, 2012 your company was notified that the AMC-1 to SES-3 transition date was anticipated for the first quarter of 2015. That timeframe is now being updated.

Updated Transition Date Information:
SES has notified Microspace that SES-3 will replace AMC-1 on Sunday, August 24, 2014. Per the terms of the Satellite Services Lease Agreement between our firms, Microspace is responsible to give your company at least four months’ notice prior to the transition date. Due to our diligence with the satellite owner, we are able to give you more than a year’s notice of the anticipated transition date, and wanted to share this with you proactively.

No Frequency Reassignment:
Often times in such a satellite transition there are frequencies (customer channels) that need to be reassigned. For your network there will NOT be any frequency changes when the SES-3 satellite is deployed.

Polarization Change:
As your company was previously notified, there is a 26 degree polarization difference between the two satellites. Microspace has been recommending that when your company installs new locations and/or is performing maintenance at the downlink antenna locations, you can minimize the impact of this polarization change by setting the LNB polarization 13 degrees away from optimum. This LNB offset adjustment will prevent any adjustments from being made following the August 24th, 2014 transition date. Microspace has created a video about the polarization change, and you can view it anytime on the Microspace website at: http://microspace.com/satellite-transition/

Activities at the Actual Time of the Transition:
Simply stated, on Sunday August 24, 2014, you and your customer sites will NOT have to perform any actions, assuming the polarization adjustments recommended by Microspace were followed.

So you know, the current Microspace uplink transmission will be transferred to our in-place backup antenna, which will have been calibrated, including the polarization change, for the new satellite. Later that day, after recalibrating our primary uplink antenna and transmission systems, we will transition all traffic onto that primary uplink antenna.
These described transitions will occur in milliseconds, therefore we are not anticipating any downtime during this transition.

Benefits of the New Satellite SES-3:
From a daily operational standpoint, you should expect a highly reliable and available signal from SES-3 at your downlink locations in North America. The satellite’s higher power levels will provide additional rain-fade margin, presuming properly aligned antennas.

The new SES-3 satellite is expected to have improved adjacent satellite performance and it has a larger footprint than its predecessor.

Additionally, since SES-3’s operational life is expected to exceed 15 years, you and your customers are on a very stable, long-term delivery platform.
**End article

I hope this helps, in case you might be wondering why the signals aren't coming in too well for you out of the blue next week. I sure am happy I found this out, just in time for my upcoming experiments this weekend, weather permitting. :)

I think that date has been changed again and is no longer Aug 24th, they've been battling it out with Direct TV, Direct is claiming that SES3 will mess with their beam or something, If I remember right.

Ah, Magic Static beat me to it! :biggrin

Well crap!!!! :mad I'm sorry! :no Here I was trying to be helpful, and I gave out a bunch of outdated stuff instead! ^(&*%$#%^%#@@!!! I guess your right, it's looking like January of 2015 or so. If wallyhts wants to delete this thread, that would be fine with me, I don't want to give out wrong important info like this to everybody. It looked new to me, but the date on the video does say 2013. Nevermind, if nothing happens this weekend, just disregard.

I wish they would hurry up and get SES3 going, I imagine that all of the time that it's sitting there doing nothing is that much less time that it will be active, once it is up and running! I seem to remember reading somewhere that the lifespan of a sat is only something like 15 years, be a shame to use it all up doing nothing!

Jan of 2015 isn't too far away. That wouldn't be too bad, if they stick to that date!

You could still try for C Band on 103W, I don't know exactly what the strength of the beam is from it right now but the ION feeds and PBS come in pretty strong here. I think on the ION channels I have like 80% Q on the MicroHD and my 9' dish, better than what I get on 99W, 99W is for the most part in the 70's Q for me. The C band channels on 103 don't have the messed up skew issue either.

You could still try for C Band on 103W, I don't know exactly what the strength of the beam is from it right now but the ION feeds and PBS come in pretty strong here. I think on the ION channels I have like 80% Q on the MicroHD and my 9' dish, better than what I get on 99W, 99W is for the most part in the 70's Q for me. The C band channels don't have the messed up skew issue either.

@A Raine, well, I would like to still try. The SES website has the strongest footprint right over where I live, but it indicates I need a 5 foot dish to get it to come in half decent. Thats why I got all excited about the satellite change over, as I can still use my 4 foot dish for the SES 3 103W satellite to get everything! :) I am hoping to attract my wife to the ION Channels like you mentioned, there's other good stuff too on that bird I want to bring down. But I do have other options to experiment with, like the 101W and 105W C-Band satellites. The 101W C-Band has other good stuff on there too, and is probably my best option as far as signal strength goes for a 4 foot dish. Just doesn't really have much for my wife to like. The 105W C-Band would be my second choice, my dish is just big enough to bring in anything half decent, but there's still not alot on there my wife would care for.

Last edited:
@jorgek, believe it or not, it can get down in the 40's &30's with light snow at times. January - February it can get a lot colder than that for weeks at a time.usually it's rainy or dry most of the winter. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)