Satelliteguys live coverage of XstreamHD Press Conference

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
:p
Hot CES Dish rumor .
Dish HD pack $10/mo = All HD channels in your Package teirs
Example Top 100 / Top 200 / Top 250
Dish HD $20/mo (no $15 package) = voom / hd net / hd net movies / universal hd
New HD only Pack $29.99 = All HD except prem movies (no other pack required) add locals $5/mo.
Also New option to take only the four HD prem movie channels 1 HBO 1 Showtime 1 starz 1 cinemax for $10/mo. More info to come.

I've got a picture of the new HD packages in the Dish Booth Photos thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1182294-post90.html

Something we may have overlooked posting. The press kit showed they are pricing the hardware at $399.

They will not have anything available until October 2008 at the Earliest.

Much is contigent on content providers - especially cost, and model (PPV or monthly or hybrid).

One more picture - front of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 407
I figured they would have to drop the price to $10 eventually and state that the consumer would get all HD versions of their current package for a $10 HD access fee, whatever they may call it. Basically a fee to access their channels that they receive now in HD (or the different HD version) for $10.

I can see a future service offering different movies and games available on demand from satellite and I imagine Dish Network and DirecTv will want to jump on that. What they offer now is just a small offering but the future of television / content is by having everything on demand.

The only thing is that D** offers all HD excluding premium for $10? What gives?

The only thing is that D** offers all HD excluding premium for $10? What gives?

First off there are two subjects in this thread, one is about a Dish Network rumor that is off the subject of this thread title.

It basically says Dish is considering a $29.99 ALL HD package, equivalent to their standard Family pack and AT packs. On top of that with the new ALL HD pack you can add $10 to receive the HD versions of all premium movies channels, and $5 to add your local HD channels where available.

If D* is to have a similar package, it means if you pay $30, you get ALL D* HD channels (no SD channels) and in this case since D* has a lot more HD channels to cover most interests, such package would make more sense because I can easily see people signing on to that one for cost savings.

With Dish’s current HD lineup, a lot of families will not be able to use this deal because for example the kids will have nothing to watch, not a bad thing in principle J but still not going to work.

Something we may have overlooked posting. The press kit showed they are pricing the hardware at $399.

They will not have anything available until October 2008 at the Earliest.

Much is contigent on content providers - especially cost, and model (PPV or monthly or hybrid).

One more picture - front of the box.

I'm sorry I' m so late in joining the conversation.

They haven't made clear where they are going to be beaming this down from. Caribbean and Continental North America (Contiguous US + Canada) is not an answer.

Secondly, I don't see it mentioned -- but Michael Douglas announced he was an investor in the corporation. Is this a new form of venture capital?

Best,

At least VOOM had most of the regular SD nets in addition to their HD offering. This system seems to be limited to movie enthusiasts. Now if they purchase their satellite bandwidth from one of the incumbent operators (Dish or DirecTV) then they may have something, since there would be no additional dish required if you already have that service. Not sure how well it will go, since they are basically competing with Netflix and Vudu. Granted, downloading is the HD medium of the future. How many boxes are consumers going to want to connect to their TV sets? If it can also play and upconvert DVDs then it may have a future.

I think it's an ugly looking piece of crap. And as for content...that's the king here. I don't see how we get away with anything but a $10.00 one or two time movie showing after download.

I think everyone is seeing this all wrong. I don't think they intend this to be just a mechanism for movie distrubution. I'm thinking their contracts will expand beyond movies. If they get Universal, they get SciFi, USA, NBC, etc etc..... So now I can watch SGA, BSG, Monk, Heroes, etc in 1080p/7.1 and on demand. Eliminates the need for DISH, Netflix, my 722, my TiVo series3, my media extender, my HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players, etc etc.

I think this type of setup really is the future of content distribution -- a single server in the home that gets content (semi) on-demand from both broadband and satellite, and then distributes it to set top boxes throughout the home. With DNLA, we won't even need an STB anymore -- just a TV that supports the standard.

They'll have competition. I'm sure Charlie's wheels are already turning.

This is amazing stuff. If it dies a painful death, it will be because of the studios/networks. I hope they're not too far ahead of their time. If they secure the content, I'll be first in line.

Regardless, I think the concept of broadcasting and DVRing (as we do it today) will be dead someday. Automated content distribution and on-demand viewing is the way things will go.

I think everyone is seeing this all wrong. I don't think they intend this to be just a mechanism for movie distrubution. I'm thinking their contracts will expand beyond movies. If they get Universal, they get SciFi, USA, NBC, etc etc..... So now I can watch SGA, BSG, Monk, Heroes, etc in 1080p/7.1 and on demand. Eliminates the need for DISH, Netflix, my 722, my TiVo series3, my media extender, my HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players, etc etc.

I think this type of setup really is the future of content distribution -- a single server in the home that gets content (semi) on-demand from both broadband and satellite, and then distributes it to set top boxes throughout the home. With DNLA, we won't even need an STB anymore -- just a TV that supports the standard.

They'll have competition. I'm sure Charlie's wheels are already turning.

This is amazing stuff. If it dies a painful death, it will be because of the studios/networks. I hope they're not too far ahead of their time. If they secure the content, I'll be first in line.

Regardless, I think the concept of broadcasting and DVRing (as we do it today) will be dead someday. Automated content distribution and on-demand viewing is the way things will go.

This is what I'm getting out of the press conference also!:up

Mattopia -- you are right on -- this is the end of TV as we know it. If you think about it, the vast majority of content is prerecorded, and can therefore be downloaded and stored on a huge server in the home. Xstream has added 3 OTA tuners because you still want to be able to watch some live TV (i.e. sports and news) from the networks. XStream also has some patents that allow them to efficiently download 1080p/7.1 content from the sky. If they can get content then this will be a combined Netflix/TV provider at the same time -- very big concept if it can be pulled off.

I agree, this could be the future of TV. My kids might very well be interested in something like this - like when they are adults. I don't see myself or my wife watching TV in this way, unless they have some kind of serial playback feature. If I want to have the thing play 4 shows back to back for my 3 year old then it should do it. I don't want to be forced to choose something from a massive menu every time I want to watch a show. I may never find anything to watch! Part of the current TV viewing experience is serendipity; tuning across a show by chance that looks interesting. That would be lost with a device like this.

They have no plans to ever offer "channels" such as ESPN, MTV.

Its a movie download service, thats it. (And a damn good one too if it ever becomes reality)

GoalieBob got a half hour interview with the CES of XStreamHD yesterday, and he will post it when he gets home from Las Vegas this weekend. :)

I doubt that they are expecting people to give up on traditional TV at this point. Something like this fills the HD space that BluRay and HD-DVD are trying to occupy. It really should be able to play standard DVDs, so that consumers can eliminate another box from the rack. Or have a giant hard drive that can store your current collection of DVDs. Wait, that's what your PC is for! :D