Satmex 5 and Satmex 6 Renamed?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
So what has happened to Satmex 5 and 6, these were such nice descriptive satellite names. Now they are Eutelsat something or other. Are they the same satellites with different names or are they both new satellites with new names?

Years back Telstar at 15W was Orion; it's getting confusing for old brains like mine.

So what gives with changing satellite names, is it a business decision, sort of when companies merge or reinvent themselves and decide to come up with a new name?

If I fire up my old FortecStar Dynamic receiver can hardly notice a satellite name that is familiar.

Do any of you remember that company that for a fee would name a particular star after you? I guess they ran out of stars, have not heard them advertising for quite a while.

I suggest the satellite companies do the same, charge a huge fee to name a satellite after you. 50% less for decommissioned satellites.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Eutelsat bought SatMex about a year ago. They can call them whatever they want, OK with me. I saw in a press release that they have big plans to add channels in 2015. :bigok

Sat names come and go just like the satellites. But the locations they occupy remain the same. :) So I, like others, ignore the names and go by locations. 113W is always the same spot in the sky. ;) I could never remember which SatMex bird was where anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)