Say good bye (Or maybe HELLO) to EBRU

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Message sent. Thanks, Brian, for the quick link.

You know, I probably -could- watch it on Roku, because I live in an area with decent broadband. But the truth is I won't watch them -- and it's nothing against them personally; it's just the medium. Whereas they're in my top three slots on Galaxy 19, and I almost always watch them when my dish is pointed that way (most of the time it is), when given my choices on Roku, it just won't come across my mind. When I turn on Roku, 90% of the time it's for Netflix, 8% for the free movie app channels (especially classical ones), and 2% for webcams, podcasts, and live TV. So Ebru via Roku will cram into that 2% piece of the pie to compete for my viewership. They just won't be able to detract my attention away from on-demand movies and TV for most of the year. Out of sight, out of mind.

On my message I indicated that extended family loves Ebru programming, but they do not have broadband availability. This indicates to the broadcaster that they will be losing viewers!
I did the same with my message, I told them Satellite Internet is not an option for full time streaming.

Sent them a note too. Mentioned they likely have lots of viewers in places where the internet isn't or is too slow; and giving up that advantage if they leave G19Ku. I don't think they will compete well in a 5000 channel internet universe.

But I am sure the business model says....

Also dropped a line. Dagnabbit, if I wanted to watch tv over internet, I'd have to get Comcast again and that's no way to live. Viva FTA!

I sent a message also I enjoy watching some of thier programs late night and early mornings. They have programs in the morning about how they build oil tankers very interesting.

Ebru is displaying a banner saying: "On December 31, 2014, EBRU tv will no longer be available to Free-to-Air satellite viewers. Watch EBRU tv on DIGII.TV, ROKU, RCN basic cable and Dish Network." I am sad to see this fine channel go away from FTA. E_V

Got that giniko page in another tab. get ~3 seconds of watchable pgming, (nice video quality) then buffers for the next ~6 seconds and repeats. WON'T do. msg sent.

It works fine for me on a pitiful excuse for 3MB DSL. But the question is, where are they getting the feed? Maybe they're getting it off the air?

And I love how Ebru advertises that they're on Dish Network -- except that it's in the International Basic package, which you have to pay extra for even though all the channels are in English, at least half of them are available FTA, at least half of them are religious, and it's not even on the same satellite as the rest of Dish's channels so you can't just upgrade to it without changing out your dish.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Well I just checked the Roku feed against the satellite feed. The satellite feed does have the banner of doom. The Roku channel does not.
When I select the Roku channel it asks me if I want to watch EBRU live. I select yes and there it is.
There is a delay between the two, obviously but they are pretty much in sync so the Roku channel is the same thing and is "live", so to speak.
Which is better than RT on Roku which is not a "live" feed but extremely poor quality pre-recorded blocks.

IMG_3094.jpg

At least with the Roku option it is in sync with the TitanTV listings.

I'm sad to see it leave FTA because there I could record things, on Roku you can't record anything at all, extreme DRM on everything.

I will miss Ebru also, but on the bright side have the addition of Revn and Retro...for now.

I'll just watch it on Roku I guess. The cost of keeping a channel up and running on satellite has become too expensive for many stations . It's just a matter of economics....reach the most for the least cost...IPTV Fiber etc
I suspect come January 1 2015 you'll see more than just EBRU gone.

My weekend home is in a rural area no ota signals. mountain is in the way ,internet is DSL from frontier I'm just glad I got my dishes to receive anything FTA . Enjoy this great hobby as long as possible.I did get pizza dish for the girlfriend,it wasn't my choice lol.I tried streaming videos over internet it is really bad,I guess that's the trade off of being in the country. Is it sad to see any FTA channels leave? Yes ,we all know how this hobby works. Enjoy what we have and enjoy your life.

It would be a nice Christmas present or miracle if EBRU stays FTA, they have good programming.
I watch Sue Thomas and they have some good movies every now and then also.
Few months ago, they requested some feedback, remember ? and I complimented them on their series and news programs.

Satellite uplink cost increasing?

Fact Check: Were you aware that the average cost for G19 ku uplink contract is lower in 2014 than in the past 5 years? :)

Hey, curious minds want to know. What is the monthly cost for a station to uplink a 24/7 sd channel for broadcasting?

I just sent them a message through their webpage. I complimented them on specific programming and mentioned that I don't have any other option to watch their channel, other than streaming shows online.

Some of us dont have high speed internet to be able to watch Ebru on ROKU. My internet is over the air and it is NOT quite fast enough to maintain a stream.
Same here. One of the great misconceptions right now is that streaming broadband is universally available, it isn't. Google for the FCC USA map showing broadband coverage in the USA. There are large areas where it is not available. Anyone who thinks they can go from satellite to broadband streaming and maintain the same coverage hasn't done their homework.

It would be a nice Christmas present or miracle if EBRU stays FTA, they have good programming.
I watch Sue Thomas and they have some good movies every now and then also.
Few months ago, they requested some feedback, remember ? and I complimented them on their series and news programs.

I'll be puzzled why Ebru gets pulled if Samanyolu stays put. They're both owned by the same media group, and you'd think out of the two channels, Ebru has the higher viewership on FTA.

Reactions: DJdish
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts