Say good bye (Or maybe HELLO) to EBRU

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'll be puzzled why Ebru gets pulled if Samanyolu stays put. They're both owned by the same media group, and you'd think out of the two channels, Ebru has the higher viewership on FTA.

I totally agree, I don´t think Samanyolu has as many viewers (FTA) as EBRU. :(

Another option they could do to keep viewers would be to offer a conditional access/smart card that we could purchase to be able to continue watching, since most FTA receivers have a slot that is currently basically useless (at least in the U.S.). This would be a great way for them to extend their viewership, and maybe add other channels in the future. Wishful thinking, but it is the holidays, so that's on my Christmas wish list, LOL

<RANT ON>
We watch their commercials for that screw extractor thing and the HD night vision glasses.
I guess that's not enough to keep them going on 97W anymore?

I'm sure the deal they made with RCN, DISH and/or others specified no more FTA for Ebru.

I'm not going to buy a ROKU or sign up for DISH, even though it is my favorite channel, they have simply lost a viewer.

If you run out and buy a ROKU or start streaming to watch, you are killing FTA.

Let them lose viewers, maybe they will reconsider.
</RANT OFF>

Last edited:
from their last survey...which probably had a lot to do with them cancelling using fta satellite as a delivery method

Meh... I don't see the Roku as killing FTA. I own a Roku and love it. It's just that I mostly use Roku to watch Netflix. I also use it to watch programs off PBS, and a few free classic movie channels. I rarely use it to watch live streaming channels -- and for me, Ebru will fit into that tiny section of the pie of my total TV viewing time. In the end, on paper, I'd be the perfect customer via Roku since I have few internet issues to prevent me from watching it. However, the patterns of my TV viewing won't bear that out in reality. Instead of watching Ebru every other day as I do now, it will likely dwindle to two or three times a year when I absolutely find nothing else to watch on Netflix, FTA, PBS, etc., and just happen to remember they, too, have a Roku channel (in my list of 35 or so I have now). So although I will be counted as a Roku user who subscribes to the Ebru channel, in essence they will have lost a viewer. But they won't know if you don't tell them -- so write Ebru and politely explain your situation if you haven't already done so. :)

How will they know that they lost you as a viewer? :)

Well lets extrapolate some hypothetical data from the converse. Let's solely use ROKU as an example and
assume no other external market forces such as other providers canceling Ebru, special promotions etc...

Scenario 1:
Let's say I am BeanCounter Bob from Ebru. I have data in my hands that shows, for the past two years, new subscriptions to the Ebru channel on ROKU has averaged 1000 per month. Now I see that in the first quarter of 2015 the number has increased to 5000 per month then levels off. Also sales figures regarding screw extractor doodads and HD nightvision sunglasses has stayed level, or not dropped. Can I now assume that I have picked up 16,000 viewers from FTA? I have to. I now have lots of nice data from the ROKU folks showing what shows are popular and the ones that are not, what hours of the day when there are the most viewers etc... I now have lots of new demographic data I can use to tune my advertising. I like all this new data at my disposal. I share this with my buddies at the upcoming ACME channel (or they buy the data from ROKU), they don't go FTA but premier on ROKU.

Scenario 2:
In 2015 new subscriptions to the Ebru channel on ROKU stay flat at 1000 per month.
Sales figures regarding screw extractor doodads and HD nightvision sunglasses has dropped a certain amount. Can I now assume I have lost FTA viewers? I have to.

(For those that don't watch Ebru, just about every other commercial is a screw extractor doodad or HD nightvision sunglasses.)

Last edited:
Here ya go:

speedout.jpeg

AAAAAAH! Mustn't reply to that one, it's just too easy, AAAH! lol......

Sorry, I have a very, ahem, inventive mind. I can already see that tonight's one of those nights where EVERYTHING is funny, lol.

Is eggnog involved? :everybodydance

I'm sure the deal they made with RCN, DISH and/or others specified no more FTA for Ebru.
doubt it. Its been on dish for a few years
using your theory then all the religious channels would be gone too since most are on satellite

I'm not going to buy a ROKU or sign up for DISH, even though it is my favorite channel, they have simply lost a viewer.
basic roku is what $50?

If you run out and buy a ROKU or start streaming to watch, you are killing FTA.
no you're not. Plenty of folks who CANT do FTA. Me being one of them now (apartment then rental house). But for $75 or so got a Roku and can watch lots of stuff that is on FTA too. I posted a list of religious stations on roku that are or were on FTA and a handful were on C-band. Get lots of good stuff on there that isn't on FTA either.
Yeah I get it. Some areas you cant get decent internet. Lakehouse we can only get 1.5MB and that is because Centurylink ran some new copper. But I'm sure the folks who cant get it FTA are way more than folks who cant see it on Roku.

Today I flipped on Doc Scott (University Network) and Melissa was on there talking about viewership and donations or something like that and she mentioned possibly dropping the KU feed because "you should have a roku by now". Sorry but streaming is kinda the future. Dish is coming out with a OOT/streaming service. Heck they already have "DishWorld" (their int'l programminig) on roku too (for a fee).

doubt it. Its been on dish for a few years
using your theory then all the religious channels would be gone too since most are on satellite

basic roku is what $50?

no you're not. Plenty of folks who CANT do FTA. Me being one of them now (apartment then rental house). But for $75 or so got a Roku and can watch lots of stuff that is on FTA too. I posted a list of religious stations on roku that are or were on FTA and a handful were on C-band. Get lots of good stuff on there that isn't on FTA either.
Yeah I get it. Some areas you cant get decent internet. Lakehouse we can only get 1.5MB and that is because Centurylink ran some new copper. But I'm sure the folks who cant get it FTA are way more than folks who cant see it on Roku.

Today I flipped on Doc Scott (University Network) and Melissa was on there talking about viewership and donations or something like that and she mentioned possibly dropping the KU feed because "you should have a roku by now". Sorry but streaming is kinda the future. Dish is coming out with a OOT/streaming service. Heck they already have "DishWorld" (their int'l programminig) on roku too (for a fee).

Thanks, you made a lot of good points. I always get enlightened when I log on here, thats why I like this site. I guess I have always been a late or non-adopter when it comes to technology, nostalgic I guess. Heck I do have a flat screen HDTV finally but yet I watch very many black and white shows. Go figure.
Have you ever heard the expression "The cobblers children have no shoes"? It may also be my profession. I leave the job at work, high tech field.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts