Status
Please reply by conversation.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Tomorrow, a Spacecraft Will Try to Land on a Comet for the First Time Ever

You can follow along (stream) as the landing unfolds on live webcast from the ESA’s mission control starting at 11:00 a.m. PST/2:00 p.m. EST today. (Tue Nov, 11 2014 1:00 PM CST)
http://www.wired.com/2014/11/rosetta-philae-attempt-comet-landing/

NASA TV is also providing live coverage starting at 6:00 a.m. PST/9:00 a.m. EST tomorrow.
105W 3760 V 28068 DVB-S

Reactions: jdc270 and FTA4PA
I really, really hope they are going to be checking for the components of life, among other things.
To go that distance, to spend that much effort and expense they would be fools not to.

Tomorrow, a Spacecraft Will Try to Land on a Comet for the First Time Ever

You can follow along (stream) as the landing unfolds on live webcast from the ESA’s mission control starting at 11:00 a.m. PST/2:00 p.m. EST today. (Tue Nov, 11 2014 1:00 PM CST)
http://www.wired.com/2014/11/rosetta-philae-attempt-comet-landing/

NASA TV is also providing live coverage starting at 6:00 a.m. PST/9:00 a.m. EST tomorrow.
105W 3760 V 28068 DVB-S
Thanks FaT Air! Will check it out!:)

Thanks for the reminder. Looking forward to find out how it goes.

OMG! I just saw Colin Baker (the sixth incarnation of Doctor Who) on NASA TV (on 105w) promoting their Orion spacecraft !!

Also Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who and Torchwood

And Nichelle Nichols..

I guess we'll be seeing more famous Science Fiction folks doing these in time..

Reactions: ynnedibanez
Successful separation, lander is on it's way to comet. They have received a picture of separation and radio signal from lander.

I'm waiting for the pictures. Speeches- blah!
Skeptic in me says 'landing confirmation signal' could be a forgery/hoax.
Or the probe's 'landing switch' was 'triggered' but shortly thereafter the probe bounced off it or was destroyed(???)
I want pictures ("Course, they can also be faked) but we like pictures.
Where in the sky is this? http://theskylive.com/rosetta-tracker
Then again, just getting that spacecraft 'in sync' with that 40,000 mph piece of rock, or whatever it's composed of, is quite an accomplishment in itself. Congratulation ESA!

http://new.livestream.com/esa/cometlanding

Lots of cool videos on the site as well.

Montage comprising 4 Navigation Camera images taken on 28 October. Credits: ESA/Rosetta/NAVCAM
Acquired from 9.7 km height above 67P/C-G.

7c6c0294-a60c-418d-b545-1ee88a5b697e.jpg

Reactions: Ilya
One thing that keeps bugging me is people saying the comet is traveling at (ludicrous speed). Speed is relative. The rock is traveling at zero MPH relative to the lander. The Earth is traveling 67,100 miles an hour around the sun. People on the Earth's equator are traveling over 1000 miles an hour relative to the center of the Earth and 2000 miles an hour relative to someone on the other side of the globe. And the Earth and sun are traveling a staggering 500,000 miles an hour relative to the center of the Milky Way.

So this comet has gone "plaid". But they never say relative to what!

Reactions: Dee_Ann
One thing that keeps bugging me is people saying the comet is traveling at (ludicrous speed). Speed is relative. The rock is traveling at zero MPH relative to the lander. The Earth is traveling 67,100 miles an hour around the sun. People on the Earth's equator are traveling over 1000 miles an hour relative to the center of the Earth and 2000 miles an hour relative to someone on the other side of the globe. And the Earth and sun are traveling a staggering 500,000 miles an hour relative to the center of the Milky Way.

So this comet has gone "plaid". But they never say relative to what!

Those who say that, haven´t learned that, I remember Brian Green explaining that in very simple terms in one of his documentaries.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)