Scientific Atlanta powerVu Model D9223 hidden menu to disable powerVu

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sandegj

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 3, 2010
Manchester, Michigan
I just received a Scientific Atlanta PowerVu Model D9223 to tinker with and found the menu to disable the PowerVu , press these buttons "MENU" "USER" "NEXT" "YES" then toggle with "USER". Remember to save setting with "YES" Jerry:up

good to know. I have 3 of them here and spent a couple days trying to figure out why nothing would work ;)
Did a search and found a 2 year old thread that gave pretty much the same info...but its always good to have refreshers on stuff like this :)

what is a receiver like this good for as opposed to having a sonicview 8000? I am interested in getting into c band and would like to buy a good starter receiver. I noticed a lot of the satellites say powervu next to the channel and was curious if something like this could work for those.

Powervu is a scrambling technology. These commercial receivers are designed for cable companies and/or satellite companies and to be authorized for Powervu you have t prove you're a cable company. Unless you get one for under $10 you paid too much

It is very limited on what it can do
-one transponder entry....want another one? Gotta enter it an override the existing
-no AC-3
-no channel edit
-no blind scan (everything gets manually inputted)

I have 3 of them because......well I got them for dirt cheap :)

OK so cable companies like comcast and time warner use these receivers to get channels to send to their customers. What is AC-3? How do you determine which transponder that you need? How can I find out what birds have for transponders? ( I am pretty new to all of this)

AC-3 is Dolby Digital, a compressed audio format that is used on some channels, including most of the PBS on 125W. If you can't hear the sound on a given channel, chances are pretty good it is compressed AC-3 (Dolby Digital). Most of the newer HD boxes will decompress the audio and output it through the analog audio outputs, but the older boxes required a Dolby Digital-capable audio receiver connected to the SPDIF, or digital audio output, to hear the sound on these channels (there was no built-in decompression). Some boxes wouldn't even pass the compressed AC-3 audio on the digital audio output. On such a receiver, you can't hear AC-3 even if you connect the receiver to an external Dolby Digital-capable audio receiver.

FTA channel lists, such as Lyngsat.com and our own TheList, will list the transponders that carry each channel. A transponder can carry one or more channels, sometimes even a dozen or so. On Ku-Band, the frequency of the transponder will be a five digit figure (example, 11720). C-Band transponders will always be a four digit frequency (such as 3800). Your receiver must be on an active transponder in order to aim the dish and see a 'Quality' reading on the signal meter.

Last edited:
What could a receiver like this be used for if you shut off Powervu? does it scan DVB-S? Are there any open key Powervu channels that would make one of these receivers worthwhile?

The receiver can get any DVB free programming. You need to turn off the powervu option for it to work (learned that the hard way)
There is no blind scan. Its all manual entry. 1 transponder capacity. These are mainly used in commercial applications where they would have one per channel needed. I had picked up 3 of these a while back and there were labels on them. All 3 channels listed were in the same transponder but they had 1 for each channel.

If the powervu is "open" then its considered FTA and any machine can get them.
I wouldnt spend that much on one honestly due to its limited application in the consumer market

These are mainly used in commercial applications where they would have one per channel needed. I had picked up 3 of these a while back and there were labels on them.

If the powervu is "open" then its considered FTA and any machine can get them.
I wouldnt spend that much on one honestly due to its limited application in the consumer market

Hi Iceberg, I'd like to ask you, can this (or any) powervu receiver decrypt channels with this encryption (powervux).
I mean, the receiver decrypts any channel with that encryption? (I'm a newbe)
I'd like to use this receiver to view the NSS-806 Sat, and many channels are encrypted in PowerVuX
NSS 806 40.5° W - Página Jimdo de satcovers

The receiver must be authorized in order for it to decrypt, and they will only authorize receivers being used by cable TV and commercial broadcast facilities. Even then, the receiver will only decrypt the particular channels it is authorized to decrypt (i.e., not ALL PowerVu-encrypted programming).

Hi Iceberg, I'd like to ask you, can this (or any) powervu receiver decrypt channels with this encryption (powervux).
I mean, the receiver decrypts any channel with that encryption? (I'm a newbe)
I'd like to use this receiver to view the NSS-806 Sat, and many channels are encrypted in PowerVuX
NSS 806 40.5° W - Página Jimdo de satcovers

The receiver must be authorized in order for it to decrypt, and they will only authorize receivers being used by cable TV and commercial broadcast facilities. Even then, the receiver will only decrypt the particular channels it is authorized to decrypt (i.e., not ALL PowerVu-encrypted programming).

Tron pretty much nailed it. The 3 units I have were set up to decrypt one channel each out of a 3 channel mux. (group of channels). So I dont even know if the unit that got Channel A (as example) would get Channel B on that same transponder (the channels switched modulation before I got these units so I couldn't test it) but I assume it would be authorized for the whole transponder (that is how American Forces Network works...there are a dozen scrambled channels and they are all opened up when you are authorized)

I will add on to this. Found out some info on how it works and it aint easy

Only authorized companies can get it approved
You can be approved for all channels in a mux or just one channel. So as example if there are 10 channels in a mux (all Powervu) and both myself and Tron get access to it. Tron may have access to only channel 5 in the mux and I may have access to 2, 4 and 8

There are more "hoops" to jump through so it doesnt sound very easy to get authorized ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)