Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
People wouldn't believe how much time we put into getting ready for CES. A lot of planning and prep, not to mention expense goes into getting ready for CES and then CES rolls around and poof its gone.

After CES is over it always takes me a few days to digest what I saw. You see so much it’s hard to take in and understand everything that you saw.

This year is the year of 4K as every company that makes televisions had their booth full of 4K Ultra HD televisions. There were so many 4K displays on the floor that you quickly got numb to how amazing the picture quality was, and as you saw more and more 4K displays you actually got tired of seeing them. It became a situation where you saw one 4K display then you have seen them all. And let me be clear that while it was a case that some 4K displays did look better than others, that you saw so many 4K displays you quickly forgot who made the good ones.

It is my opinion that any of the 4K displays were better than any 1080p set on display. And going by that opinion I felt that even the lowest prices $999 4K Ultra HD display were a good by. Sure the Polaroid 50 inch 4K Ultra HD display wasn’t as good as your $15,000 Sony 4K display but for $999 it held its own ground and looked better than any 1080p set on the floor.

We saw lots of cool stuff on the floor, a world of 3D Printers which had me drooling on the show floor wanting one… but after reality set in I couldn’t honestly answer the question of what would I use it for. We saw lots of smart watches, but honestly most were junk. I do see smart watches going somewhere in the future but at the moment we are on generation one and there is still so much that can be done to improve them and make them a daily part of our lives.

In the world of satellite we saw the new troop of Joey’s from DISH. And for me while nice additions to the DISH lineup it was nothing groundbreaking. But for me it’s going to be hard for DISH to improve the hardware of something that is already close to perfect.

The Super Joey gives us two more tuners, and this is a nice thing for the families who were running out of tuners for their shows. But for me if you can afford a few more bucks a month I still highly recommend getting a second Hopper. Not only with you get more tuners then the Super Joey (3 versus 2) but then you also get another 2TB of hard drive space to record your shows, but you also have redundancy in your system so that if one Hopper dies you can still watch tv in your house.

The wireless Joey is a nice addition for those seeking a wireless solution. While SatelliteGuys members have known for a while that you could make any Joey into a Wireless Joey, with DISH’s new Wireless Joey it comes with a new 802.11ac gateway which places the Joey on its own private network and eliminates most if not all the issues many may have had using 802.11G/N.

And finally they showed the Virtual Joey which lets you use your LG Smart TV, Sony Playstation 3 or Playstation 4 as a Virtual Joey. For more this would be great in your kids room and helps greatly with the not enough HDMI ports on your TV. For most people however I don’t see them using this as I can’t imagine telling my wife that if she wants to watch TV that she needs to turn on the Playstation then select the Joey app, wait for it to load and then watch TV. While it may look and act like a Joey currently it is missing features that you get on a normal Joey including a lack of support for Apps and Home Media. The other big turn off for me is that it will cost you money to have a Virtual Joey. While I can understand a small “mirroring fee” they should not price it so that it costs as much as a regular Joey because if they do you are better off just getting a real Joey.

As I said before it’s going to get harder and harder for DISH to continue to improve on the Hopper hardware platform since the hardware side of the Hopper is almost perfect now. Where the Hopper will continue to improve and shine will be in the ongoing Hopper software updates. From here on out it is the software which can make or break the Hopper.
DISH did win 3 awards at CES for their products they announced at CES and I have got to say they were well deserved. DISH was one of the few companies who still showed that innovation rules.

What about DIRECTV? Once again this year DIRECTV had no official presence on the CES show floor. The only thing seen on the floor from DIRECTV was at the Samsung Booth where they were showing off the DIRECTV RVU client on one of its televisions.

One of the big things asked of us year after year is why do we do so much DISH coverage and barely any DIRECTV coverage. This is something that honestly has concerned us as well as the name of the site is SatelliteGuys not “DISHGUYS”, we want to be able to report fairly about both companies.so this year our CES team worked hard to find DIRECTV. I am happy to report we had success in making contact with DIRECTV, so much success that not only did we get to meet with DIRECTV CEO Michael White, but we were also shown the private DIRECTV suite at the MGM. Here in this suite we were able to see what they were working on and what the future holds. What we saw was exciting and it also gave us a better understanding of why DIRECTV was not on the show floor. The honest reason is they are not ready to show the world yet. We were asked to keep what we saw under our hats, and we will honor that request. I am hopeful we will see DIRECTV on the floor next year to announce what they have been working on, because TRUST ME it is very exciting and from everything I know no one else is close to doing what they are going to do.

Since getting back home to Connecticut I have been in email contact with Sr. DIRECTV management working to build up a relationship and that is why I was sent the DIRECTV statement last night and passed it on to our members. I understand Rome was not build in a day so we will work to build up a relationship with DIRECTV again. I will be the first to admit that I made some mistakes in the past in our relationship with DIRECTV but I am working hard to make up for my mistakes and give DIRECTV equal footing here at SatelliteGuys. I think they also understand that while our competition keeps on shrinking in page views and number of posts SatelliteGuys keeps on growing and growing. We have their audience here that they want to reach and that is working into or favor. Speaking on behalf of the staff here I know we are all excited to be working with DIRECTV again.

So with that said for the past 3 days I have been trying to decide on what was the best thing at CES this year. And through the pondering of all the new devices there was nothing exciting worth writing home about… well except for one thing and that thing wasn’t an electronic device.

My pick for the 2014 Best of CES goes to World Wrestling Entertainment and their announcement of their new WWE Network. You don’t h have to be a wrestling fan to understand that their announcement may change the face of television forever.

The WWE has been trying for a few years now to launch their network as a real cable network, but most cable and satellite providers didn’t want it so the WWE has gone ahead and cut out the middle man and now will be offering its network direct to its fans.

If you’re a wrestling fan with broadband the $10 a month online only service is a no brainer, especially considering it includes a monthly WWE Pay Per View event included in that $10 price point. WWE PPV’s normally cost anywhere from $39 to $64 depending on the event. So it’s easy to see how any WWE fans (even its casual fans) would want to subscribe to this service.

In this move the WWE has angered some of its cable and satellite partners, with the most vocal being DIRECTV who has threatened not to carry the WWE’s Pay Per View events anymore. For me I think this is a mistake as there will be many WWE fans who will not have the broadband necessary to subscribe to the WWE Network who will still rely on their cable or satellite provider to bring them the big PPV events. WWE fans are a vocal bunch and I know that if they can’t get their WWE entertainment they will bring their business to another company who will give them what they want.

No matter if you like wrestling or not you can see how this move could cause a major ripple in the world of television. I expect the WWE to be just one of the first networks to cut out the middle man and sell direct to the consumer. If you figure out the numbers needed to make this type of thing successful the amount of subscribers needed for them to make a profit is a tiny fraction of those who actually watch and buy their product.

I think we could see many niche stations go the WWE route, which would not only keep these stations alive but also make them enough money to thrive and expand their programming.
I am sure some people will try to tell you that bandwidth caps will prevent these services from being a success, I for one am not buying this. Sure at the launch of the WWE Network many diehard fans will watch the network for hours on end, but soon the novelty will wear off and they will only tune to it for special shows such as the WWE RAW pre and post-game shows and the WWE PPV’s. Doing this will not even get customers close to going over their bandwidth caps. And it will still be an excellent value to the customer at $10 a month.
About the only thing I can see harming the WWE in this move is that I hope it does not upset their broadcast partners such as NBC Universal / Comcast. I think that if the WWE uses its weekly broadcasts to advertise its network that there could be some fighting going on. If you remember before Howard Stern went to Satellite Radio he would talk about it on his terrestrial radio show all the time, this continuing advertising by Howard got him sued by CBS who syndicated his terrestrial show. I don’t want to see them same thing happen here as well. I think for the WWE to survive and grow it needs to keep its cable and satellite partnerships. It will be important for them to keep themselves in the limelight on channels such as the USA Network and the NBC television network. The WWE is the #1 rated show on both the USA network and SYFY Networks. The networks need the WWE and the WWE needs them.

So there you go this year’s best of CES wasn’t anything electronic which is unusual considering this is the Consumer ELECTRONICS show. I know the world will be watching and seeing how the WWE Network does, and if it’s a success (and I can’t see why it wouldn’t be) then we will see other networks make the move and cut out the middle man. Television just got exciting!

BTW if you missed our coverage of the WWE launch you can check it out (with lots of great pictures!) at http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/328150-WWE-Event

Great reporting from the show. I have to agree it is great to see another internet channel with real content coming online.

This may actually get me back in to watching again.

Just in time for the loss of Net Neutrality, too! Perfect!

I'm curious to see what D* has coming up that we don't know about in the future. :)
Give them a few months, it would not surprise me to see them with a booth and announce it at CES next year... and its something that NO ONE else is doing. :)

Great coverage as well, looking foward to the older footage with the WWE network and the PPV are a bonus, especially since they are including wrestlemania

I know this CES was all about 4K TV, but did any of the attendees hear anything about 8K TV? I probably won't be in the market for another TV for a year or so, but with 8K on the medium term horizon, I'm wondering if the 4K investment would even be worthwhile. I'm guessing that 8K TV wasn't even in the planning stages at CES or it would be mentioned in a best of thread that discusses 4K.

If the SJ was one of two winners in the home theater category, who was the other?

They did have a 8K on display which was showing Glasses Free 3D.

Over in Japan NHK will be showing the Olympics in 8K (Not 4K)

Many that I talk to believe that while they could do 8K now that they will hold off so we have another upgrade path in 5 or 6 years after everyone has 4K sets.

I have also been told not to expect anything higher then 8K as the format is so large that no house could hold a screen big enough to show off resolution higher then 8K. Even a movie theater screen is too small.

They did have a 8K on display which was showing Glasses Free 3D. Over in Japan NHK will be showing the Olympics in 8K (Not 4K) Many that I talk to believe that while they could do 8K now that they will hold off so we have another upgrade path in 5 or 6 years after everyone has 4K sets. I have also been told not to expect anything higher then 8K as the format is so large that no house could hold a screen big enough to show off resolution higher then 8K. Even a movie theater screen is too small.
Thanks for the update. I knew Japan was already doing 8K which had me thinking it'd be a 3-4 year time horizon. At 5-6 years plus time for economies of scale and competition to drive down the price, it seems like a 4K set will be a worthwhile investment in the next year or so.

I've been attending CES since it took over from the Original Computer Dealer's Exchange, aka COMDEX. The show has always been about consumer electronics stuff. As CES grew, it became a show where consumer electronics manufacturers showed off their new ideas where they would test reaction. Some ideas made it to product while others disappeared. Some companies used the show for egotistical show offs like JVC, Microsoft, Apple, Sony Panasonic; trying to out do each other with the biggest and best booth, Keynote presentations, and wild and crazy innovations. Some egos got hurt and these companies pulled from the show as a result. JVC, Microsoft, Apple, Microsoft. Some hid from the main CES show but tagged along with "secret" invitations to private meetings in other hotels. DirecTV and JVC come to mind.

I am surprised that DirecTV is playing that cheap trick on Satelliteguys team, inviting official press to their hidden room, telling them what they have in the works and then asking them, an official member of the press, to keep their mouths shut. This smells to me. If you want to keep something secret, why invite a member of the press, tell them what is going on under the condition of an agreement not to disclose. What's the point? To me it is a low rent way to keep customers. If it is so secret you don't divulge to anyone in the press or anyone outside the company! DirecTV is hoping that one of the people they disclosed to will spill the beans. Personally, I don't care what either satellite company has to offer because, IMO, like cable TV, the days of satelliteTV are numbered since the cost of delivery for programming is no longer competitive with IPTV. Content delivery in 2014 is all about IPTV, not cable and not satellite. Compare the costs! it's roughly 8-10 to 1 more expensive. Look at your DirecTV bill, cable bill or Dish bill and compare with your Netflix, Hulu+ or free content bills. My Dish bill runs 8 times what my Netflix bill runs. Plus every month more and more "Cable TV Channels" are being offered over the internet so that I no longer need cable, Dish, or DirecTV to watch them. There are drastically lower alternatives. IPTV is the future! So, if DirecTV is to compete and offer something new and exciting, they will need to figure out how to join the evolution, the paradigm shift to IPTV and keep their profits and costs in line with Roku, Apple TV, and similar. The content providers, called cable channels, are already delivering to these IP delivery services so all Dish, DirecTV and cable have left is a few unique channels that haven't joined in on the IPTV evolution. Why should I continue to pay $120 plus per month for Dish Network when I can pay 1/10 that for IPTV for about the same viewing content?

While the big push this year was indeed 4K TV, taking over from 3D for the past 5 years, 3D did not go away. The biggest audiences were at LG's World's largest curved OLED 3D passive screen. 3D still had the wow factor at LG's booth. Scott is right that 4K was so ubiquitous that after awhile it all looked the same. Curved screens were all over the place too, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why I would want a curved TV screen. They offer no obvious advantage. OLED still has a superb picture except for the mirror reflection on the screen. If you love to look at yourself in the mirror all the time, then you'll really dig watching OLED TV and seeing your face superimposed over the picture. :(

Glasses free 3D TV is still a promise, but IMO, as a 3D enthusiast, it IS READY for prime time, but not if you don't like 3D. For those that do like 3D, Glasses free systems all suffer a slight reduction of image quality where I place it a #3, behind passive #2 and active glasses as a picture equal to any 2D TV.

8K TV is still a production limitation all the way around. The screens are experimental and the content requires very special equipment and delivery.

I agree with Scott that 3D printing is interesting but unless you like the tedious process of designing plastic figures, then waiting hours to create them that you can touch and even use, this printer is not for you. I fabricate lots of innovative gadgets for what I do, 3D videography. I made a camera mount for my car window to shoot road cam video. Do I spend 2 hours in my shop making this from stainless and aluminum hardware with a drill press, tap and die set, and hack saw? Or, do I spend hours in a cad program drawing a 3D image, then send to a 3D printer to print the gadget in soft plastic that is not very sturdy nor durable? Scott is right, I don't know what I would do with a 3D printer. The guy making a gun with a 3D printer is about 99% news media hype and 1% reality. The only people upset over this are politicians and gun control nut cases. The guns aren't for prime time. 3D printing is not for everyone.

What was cool:
I really liked the new 360° camera for $500. It allows you to shoot video like what they do for Google maps plus it does vertical too. I will probably buy one of these soon.
The new cars with fuel cell power and solar hybrid cars.

Google Glass. I had hoped to see Google glass but I only saw about a couple dozen people walking the show floor wearing Google glass. I stopped one person to ask and found out they worked for Google and the Google Glass was a test ( plus, IMO, a way to show off the product at CES)

Smart watches- Several on display but best bang for the buck was still what I bought for myself, Sony Smartwatch2. I liked the Samsung, but it's main advantage was to start your BMW from remote. Everything was proprietary and unless you buy around the watch, your phone and your car, it doesn't do as much as my Sony. I'll keep my Sony Smartwatch2. :)

Kitchen appliances- Many companies offered new "internet connected" home appliances. Expensive and frankly, I never knew I needed so much monitoring of my food and laundry.

Overall- I found 2 days, I covered the entire Convention center show where it once took me all 4 days. I had more fun this year touring Death Valley 3 days, and Carlsbad Caverns, 2 days, as part of my winter trip to CES.

I will be posting some interesting video on my YT channel of some stuff I saw at CES over the next few days. Look for LG's big wrap around OLED 3D screen. For those who have 3D, I will show this presentation in 3D as well.

I too do not understand the push for curved screen less than 50' diagonal. There is just not that much distortion because people do not sit 2' away from their 70" screen!

I remember Fall COMDEX and was sad to see it decline. I never quite made it there. Sigh.

"...IMO, like cable TV, the days of satelliteTV are numbered since the cost of delivery for programming is no longer competitive with IPTV...."

This problem will be fixed as the cost of IPTV increases greatly. With FAPs, the possible death of Net Neutrality, increasing ISP fees and increasing Programming fees, the content owners sure aren't going to accept less than they get today. And for some things, satellite delivery is just simply more efficient.

"...frankly, I never knew I needed so much monitoring of my food and laundry...."

Don't you want your toilet reporting your urinalysis directly to your doctor, just in case something turns up? In which case, that something might be reported "elsewhere"...... ;)

I am surprised that DirecTV is playing that cheap trick on Satelliteguys team, inviting official press to their hidden room, telling them what they have in the works and then asking them, an official member of the press, to keep their mouths shut.
The point is to keep the people who can spread the word of new technology interested in following DIRECTV's future activities.

I'm sure DIRECTV doesn't want to repeat what happened at the 2005 CES when a good portion of the grand announcements didn't happen (or took much longer than projected to happen). Examples are the HMC (eventually morphed into the HR34), DIRECTV2Go (similar to nomad but in software) and comprehensive support for Windows Media.

There's good reason to do what DIRECTV did and judging from Scott's eminently positive reaction, it had the desired effect. As a modern vendor, you need to keep yourself on the RADAR (clipping services, RSS and Twitter) or you'll be an also-ran.

After meeting DIRECTV I understand why they were not on the floor. They are working on things and they are not ready yet. In the room we got to see what they are working on and were asked to keep it under our hat.

As I said before it would not surprise me to see them have a booth next year when they have something ready that they want to show off.

I can see them showing the press stuff that is coming up, yet asking them to keep it quite. They want the press to be able to quickly write/review the new products when they are finally released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts