Status
Please reply by conversation.

aa9vi

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
The SEC has begun a major national media blitz to promote the SEC Network:
http://college-football.si.com/2014/04/22/espn-sec-network-launch-commercials/

So far, only ATT U-verse and Dish Network have signed on. How much longer before DirecTV carries the SEC Network?
As a 13 yr DirecTV sub, I am considering switching if DirecTV does not get their act together and at least put this on the sports tier for those outside the Southeast.

Other thing to note is, the Directv contract is not up until Jan 2015 IIRC. From reading it seems they want to get the deal done by Aug/Sept 2014? This works in line with SEC Net and hopefully getting Watch ESPN. I have a feeling they will not be outdone by Dish here.

Directv I think waited to see what deal Dish got and will probably ask for the same thing

as part fo the "deal" Dish got it included SEC, Longhorn, ESPN Goal Line and Buzzer beater (think Red Zone but for college sports)

When comcast signed their 10 year deal with abc/ Disney espn wanted to include longhorn network but comcast said espn wanted too much money for longhorn network.
Hopefully not the same with sec network

Did I miss something ?

Did Texas move to the sec ?

I'm sure he was responding to my post (which was the previous post) of
as part of the "deal" Dish got it included SEC, Longhorn, ESPN Goal Line and Buzzer beater (think Red Zone but for college sports)

Next coming will be the ACC network. All these "I hate sports and shouldn't have to pay for them" folks are gonna go full thermonuclear meltdown...

hydrogen_nuclear_bomb.jpg

I agree it will show up around maybe July or by middle or end August would be my bet right in time for the season to start!! :)

The idea of a 24/7 ACC Network scares me. The current ACC Network's coverage from Raycom Sports is better than ESPN's in my opinion. The thought of being forced to watch Dick Vitale (like the second Duke-North Carolina game last season which was on ESPN only) all the time is just awful and will probably not watch much.

The ESPN coverage is no longer blacked out in ACC territory. I wonder what the ratings are for ACC Network vs ESPN during the time that both were available?

I will miss the SEC Network on local channels. It was probably the only thing many people watched on my local CW.

I'm fine with the ACC game of the day on local channels, but everyone wants tv money. ESPN and ACC are actively pursuing, and I read a detailed study yesterday from the Maryland vs ACC lawsuit which showed a lotta data supporting an "ACC Network".

As long as I can watch my football (SEC and ACC), I don't care.

I have no problem with all these additional sports networks... As long as they go in the Sports Pack. Isn't that the whole point of the Sports Pack? If you want all the sports, you buy the sports pack... Just like if you want movies you buy a movie package...

The problem is all the networks that demand carriage in the basic package.

All the providers complain about increasing costs of sports, but the problem is that one or two of them always cave.

If the cable companies and Dish had just told the Pac12 (and every other conference who wants their own betwork) to pound sand and that the network was going in their Sports Pack or nothing, the networks would either rethink their pricing--or run a season with the only people being able to see their broadcasts of a few thousand people with C Band... After that, the fan backlash would go on the network--as long as ALL the providers stick up for their customers and ALL take the D* party line of 'they want to charge everyone for the games even if they don't care about it'.

Instead someone always caves and creates a 'but THEY carry it why don't you?' situation.

At what point will prices get so high that the providers just say screw it and deal with whatever pain (loss of other channels etc) the networks try to throw out? There will become a point when the loss of carriage hurts more than just packing it correctly--and there will also be a point when subscribers actually get it and don't freak out so much... I'd predict a couple years of turmoil until the networks realize their demands are becoming unrealistic and cave... Or the schools just go back to cutting a deal with existing RSNs and give up on trying to all have their own national networks.

N

I have no problem with all these additional sports networks... As long as they go in the Sports Pack. Isn't that the whole point of the Sports Pack? If you want all the sports, you buy the sports pack... Just like if you want movies you buy a movie package...

The problem is all the networks that demand carriage in the basic package.

All the providers complain about increasing costs of sports, but the problem is that one or two of them always cave.

If the cable companies and Dish had just told the Pac12 (and every other conference who wants their own betwork) to pound sand and that the network was going in their Sports Pack or nothing, the networks would either rethink their pricing--or run a season with the only people being able to see their broadcasts of a few thousand people with C Band... After that, the fan backlash would go on the network--as long as ALL the providers stick up for their customers and ALL take the D* party line of 'they want to charge everyone for the games even if they don't care about it'.

Instead someone always caves and creates a 'but THEY carry it why don't you?' situation.

At what point will prices get so high that the providers just say screw it and deal with whatever pain (loss of other channels etc) the networks try to throw out? There will become a point when the loss of carriage hurts more than just packing it correctly--and there will also be a point when subscribers actually get it and don't freak out so much... I'd predict a couple years of turmoil until the networks realize their demands are becoming unrealistic and cave... Or the schools just go back to cutting a deal with existing RSNs and give up on trying to all have their own national networks.

N

I don't mind the Conference Networks, I don't think they are all they are cracked up to be, seeing most BIG games are on the Big Networks anyways ...

That said, I don't like the TEAM Networks (Longhorn)&(ND) at all.

ND doesn't have it's own network just an exclusive contract with nbc where all home games are shown on nbc. I think that is a stumbling block when it comes to joining a conference in football. Notre dame doesnt want to give up their contract with nbc.

ND doesn't have it's own network just an exclusive contract with nbc where all home games are shown on nbc. I think that is a stumbling block when it comes to joining a conference in football. Notre dame doesnt want to give up their contract with nbc.

NBC IS the Notre Dame Football Network.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts