SG6100 Dish Position Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IMCHEMIST

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Indiana
I have been using an SG6100 for over a year now with an old Primestar dish. A few times during this period it has refused to move, but unplugging the power to the dish usually seems to fix it. This morning it once again wouldn't move (seems to happen when the temp gets below 20F), so I unplugged the power. Now it moves but it is way off of the correct position. If set to look at 30W, the dish points to 87W. Any thoughts? Did I strip gears in the motor, or is there a way to reset the calibration?

Thanks,

Arlen

Somehow the center reference "0" has been reset with the motor in the wrong position. Manually drive the motor so the pointer is at "0" and reset the motor.

Disconnect the coax cable
Press and hold both EAST and WEST buttons for 5 seconds
Reconnect the coax cable
Red LED blinks 4 times

If it continues to ocassionally do this remove the cover and clean some of the grease off the microswitchs. They are very liberal with the stuff during assembly and can cause the microswitches to stick thus confusing the motors position. I was having a heck of a time with my 6100 till I discovered this. The low temperature may cause the grease to become thicker causing your problems.

Thanks for all the advise. I finally had a chance to reset the motor this weekend, and as soon as I brought it to the 0 mark, the receiver sent the dish to the correct position. This makes me wonder if it was an issue with the 0 position microswitch (as suggested by rsa2000), and somehow it got past 0 without a contact closure and lost its mind (position). In any case, it's working again, so thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)