Signal Loss because too many connections question

light200

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
So I have been experiencing intermittent signal loss and I am wondering if I need an amp somewhere to help boost the signal because I have so many connections in the mix. here is how I have my setup:

dish on roof, 10' coax, barrel connector, 100' coax, barrel connector, 75' coax to back of wall plate connector, wall connector 2' of coax to seperator, both separator outputs have 1' coax to back of dish vip222.

do i have way too much signal loss going on here? if so, how do I fix without running a shorter coax from dish on roof?

I dont think so, maybe one of them is...but I am thinking NO. Not sure though I would have to go check.

cause if they aren't that can cause issues. many times low freq barrels will work just fine but over time they break down.

if you see a satellite tech out and about flag them down and see if you can buy a handful or maybe the tech will just give them to you.

if you want them right now lowes,home depot radio shack, any electronic shop or internet route if you dont mind buying a big bag of barrels that you will never have a need to use all of them :)

you could also have a bad connector/connection someplace.
so inspect your connections and make sure they are tight not super tight but snug.

Last edited:
So I have been experiencing intermittent signal loss and I am wondering if I need an amp somewhere to help boost the signal because I have so many connections in the mix. here is how I have my setup:

dish on roof, 10' coax, barrel connector, 100' coax, barrel connector, 75' coax to back of wall plate connector, wall connector 2' of coax to seperator, both separator outputs have 1' coax to back of dish vip222.

do i have way too much signal loss going on here? if so, how do I fix without running a shorter coax from dish on roof?
You've got about 190FT. of cable by your description is all of it necessary?

only 1 of my connection points had the blue connector. the others are just normal greyish looking.

OK so if I go replace, some I see at home depot are 2.4Ghz, some are 3GHz. does it matter which ones? Both have the blue insides.

2.4Ghz should be fine, unless you plan to upgrade to the Hopper anytime soon, at which point 3Ghz would be required, at least for the hopper run.

Go with 3GHz.

No sense in maybe having to do this twice.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

First thing would be to clean all the connections. It would not be unusual for you to have a 0.5 db loss on each connector. Add that to your line loss for that extended run which is wicked and any little thing could drop you below the reception threshold. Remember, 3 db loss is = a 50 percent loss in signal strength and the losses from the cable run (probably 10 db or so) + each connector are cumulative.

With a run like that, I'd think about switching out the 100 foot run with RG 11 which would go a long way in increasing your signal without adding more "stuff" in the line.

If going to the trouble of purchasing them, I'd probably get the 3G ones to be hopper ready, though technically the 2.4 should be fine for VIP. Odds are they're really the same part with a different label and price.

185' of cable = 17.945dB (at 2.4GHz)
three barrels = 1.5dB (includes wall plate)
separator loss = 1.5dB

So at some high frequencies you may be getting nearly 21dB of loss.

I'd make a single run from the dish to the receiver (no wall plate coupler). In that way you'll reduce the insertion loss of the three barrels and insure that you've got undamaged cable and fittings.

Reactions: nelson61
replacing any cable is the absolute last resort as far as im concerned. its buried within the house and i dont want to run any exterior cable and drill through house....so that being said, would any kind of amplifier help my situation? if so what kind and where would i insert it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts