Signal strength question

qwacker2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 11, 2004
I've had progressively worse signal strength - probably need a repeak. But the borderline reception has brought up another question. I can get some channels just fine, while others have reception problems (pixelation, freeze, etc - basically low signal). Intuitively, I would have thought HD channels would be worse, since it should require more data for a solid picture, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Tonight, I was checking for the Free Showime channels, and about the only one I get is the HD channel - others are just black - not even a no signal message. Checking signal strength, it is definitely lower on some channels than others (69 on blank channels - 77 on received channel). I would have though that with a digital signal, signal strength should be the same on all channels. What's going on here?

The Stone Man

Centennial, Colorado
Supporting Founder
Feb 15, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
qwacker2--sounds like you definitely need to get the dish realigned. With ss of only 77, I'm surprised you can even get a picture. The signal strength is not a constant measurement. If you go into the system setttings and leave the display of signal strength on, it will vary up and down by a few points every couple of seconds. As long as you can maintain something around 85-86, you'll get a picture, but the signal strength should be much higher.

There are a lot of threads dealing with re-pointing/re-aiming, but that's what you need.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
qwacker2, what are you signal quality readings for satellite channels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)