Skew? What is that?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PSB

On vacation
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Skew - Polarity

When you set the skew (Polarity) on your LNBF you are lining up your dish exactly to the same horizontal/vertical position as the satellite in the sky. The satellites all lie in a curve in the sky ( Clarke Belt ) and so are at different heights. Ku satellites use Horizontal and Vertical liner polarization and so the skew has to match the (H/V) position of the satellite for optimum satellite signal strength/quality.

When standing in front of your dish, rotate the LNBF anti-clockwise for
+ skew values.

Rotate the LNBF clockwise for - skew values.

When the LNBF is straight up and down it is in the zero position.

Keep your LNBF in the zero position when using a motor mount.

This info is relevant only for liner Ku band LNBF.

Polarization is not a factor with circular (L/R) polarized DBS LNB.
On a multi LNB DBS satellite dish (Phase III / Dish 500...) the reason the skew is set is to simply level or align the LNB'S with the satellites in the sky.

Pete,

I always thought skew was the same thing as polarity. When I hit the auto skew isn't is spinning the little hook around inside the feed horn for horizontal or vertical? Set me straight, I would hate to think I have been wrong for 20 years.

~J~

With C band systems yes, but with a smaller fixed dish the LNB is rotated by hand to the correct skew/polarity then clamped in position, with a KU motorised dish the LNB is set in the zero position and the dish sets its own skew as it turns and tilts, another great reason to have a motorized dish. As someone pointed out the other day they are getting a motorised system not just for the FTA channels but its a great way to keep up to date with whats going on with EVERY satellite up there!

Peter,
I should have a PCI DVB card this week (because it was cheap) and I am going to see if WGN-DT is still in the clear on Nimiq 2 at 82 degrees. According to a site I went to to help point my old Dish net dish(DBS, single lnb), it says the skew is -17.11 Do I really have to do that? I am thinking no based on your first post here.

No need to bother with skew on a DBS satellite, straight up and down will work for the DBS LNB, same as DirecTV single dish.

I find even a DBS signal gets stronger when the dish is on a motor mount as the dish tilts as it swings and collects slightly more signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts