Sling TV Guide vs. DTV NOW program guide

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
We're sampling Sling TV and DirecTV Now. So far, the Sling TV guide seems to be inferior compared to DirecTV Now. Sling TV shows guide data for one channel at a time, whereas DirecTV Now is more traditional, showing a bunch of channels in a guide format. Is there a way to change the way Sling TV shows the guide in their app and PC website?

dtvnow.png
slingtv.png

For a system that wasn't designed around setting up DVR recordings, the absence of a grid is a serious omission.

What does the "On Now" tab look like?

There are a few online services that offer a proper grid guide for Sling TV. I don't know if there's any way to link from their guide to the channel nor how they would work with a streamer.

For a system that wasn't designed around setting up DVR recordings, the absence of a grid is a serious omission.

What does the "On Now" tab look like?

There are a few online services that offer a proper grid guide for Sling TV. I don't know if there's any way to link from their guide to the channel nor how they would work with a streamer.

"On now" looks like this:

IMG_5855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

It's nearly impossible to find what you're looking for. The UI appears to be the same on all platforms I have tested; PC, Iphone, Ipad, Roku. The lack of a guide is absolutely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

"On now" looks like this:
Thanks for the confirmation. I saw a Facebook post where a Sling representative suggested that might be an alternative. It is quite obviously not.

I agree that the Sling TV guide provisions appear wholly unacceptable. I say "appear" because I've never tried to use the Sling TV guide.

A proper guide should have the "channels" arranged in a logical (and immutable) order and it should default to the current time (as all online and most of the STB guide grids do).

From my viewpoint, I'm not at all interested in joining a program in progress -- I'm looking for something I can watch from its beginning (since SlingTV delivers linear streams).

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I prefer an old fashioned grid guide too, not a fan of the tiled look everything is moving to.

It looks like DTV NOW got the memo on this. Their guide is perfect. If it weren't for the lack of RSN Alternates, which I need and Sling Has, then DTV Now would have my business

When I canceled my SlingTV I received an email thanking me and hoping I come back soon. I was also selected to respond to how they can improve their service for me to return. I told them two things, MLB Network and a linear guide. They responded by simply saying, "stay tuned, you will be satisfied in the near future."

I don't know if they meant MLB Network, a linear guide, or both.

When I canceled my SlingTV I received an email thanking me and hoping I come back soon. I was also selected to respond to how they can improve their service for me to return. I told them two things, MLB Network and a linear guide. They responded by simply saying, "stay tuned, you will be satisfied in the near future."

I don't know if they meant MLB Network, a linear guide, or both.

When did you cancel? So far, they haven't got either

The more I use sling the more I like their interface actually. It's easier for me to see what's on on the channel I am watching many hours in the future and the channels on demand offerings.

The more I use sling the more I like their interface actually. It's easier for me to see what's on on the channel I am watching many hours in the future and the channels on demand offerings.
The problem is, you are limited to doing this for only one channel at a time. You have to enter and exit each channel separately

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The problem is, you are limited to doing this for only one channel at a time. You have to enter and exit each channel separately
That's a problem for some, not me, plus Im not limited to the maybe 4 hours in advance a grid shows. I know what channels I want to watch and I don't care to see everything else when I scroll up and down a guide. I don't have to exit and enter each channel, I just scroll along the menu bar with the channel logos and stop where I want. The MY TV feature is nice where I put my favorite channels and shows all on 1 page. I never got the DTVnow favorites to work right, it always seemed to ignore them.

PSVue has it nice with it's vertical guide and favorites setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)