Slingbox Pro-HD Upload Speed Minimum

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I am thinking of getting the Slingbox Pro-HD. In order to watch an HD source outside of network what is the minimum upload speed? I am supposed to get 15 down and 2 up, but I consistently get about 20 down and 0.8 up. Would my weak upload speed limit my ability to watch HD outside of my own network?

I think you need around 2 for good HD quality.
That's what I thought. I am supposed to get 2, but never get above 1 anytime of the day.

Damn RoadRunner. They give us decent download but upload stinks. With FiOs I will get good download and upload, but I would have to pay a lot more.

How come you have two different Avatar images on the same page?

Scotts Avatar.png

You shouldn't get a bad picture at 800k but it won't be HD. :)
It will be enough for my iPad and iPhone, but not for my computer at work.

Besides, I would first need to determine if Sling is blocked my my work's server. It probably is

As long as you know a port that is open at your office then your good to go as you can change the port on the Slingbox itself to anything. :D

It will be enough for my iPad and iPhone, but not for my computer at work.

Besides, I would first need to determine if Sling is blocked my my work's server. It probably is

As long as you know a port that is open at your office then your good to go as you can change the port on the Slingbox itself to anything.
:D
There are some weird things happening.

Now your reply to me was added to my post as if I typed it myself.

Anyway, what do you mean by that?

At work I would have to connect to my Slingbox located at my house through my work's server. There smart filter blocks out most streaming sites.

Sorry instead of replying to your post I must have clicked on edit..

My reply back was "As long as you know a port that is open at your office then your good to go as you can change the port on the Slingbox itself to anything.
biggrin.gif
"

As far as new replies being added without you refreshing the page its ok... :) New feature I just installed.

At work I would have to connect to my Slingbox located at my house through my work's server. There smart filter blocks out most streaming sites.
Ok lets say that have port 110 open at your office you can change the slingbox at home to stream on port 110. Now at work they cant stop you from slinging since if they close port 110 their email stops working too. :D

Ok lets say that have port 110 open at your office you can change the slingbox at home to stream on port 110. Now at work they cant stop you from slinging since if they close port 110 their email stops working too. :D
It isn't that easy. Most larger establishments use some port other than 110 for POP. Most are using 995 (TLS) but any port number is possible.

There are many port scanning web sites out there. You will just use your IP and have the external site scan it. They will let you know what is open.

Edit: depending on how the firewall you are behind is setup you may not see any ports available during the scan process. The best two ports to use would be 80 or 443. These are rarely blocked by any firewall as you would not be able to do any web browsing if they were blocked.

The default port for the Slingboxen is 5001 (registered with IANA as commplex-link).

The minimum sustained uplink rate is specified as 1.5Mbps.

So let's say this is my IP Address: 95.155.236.1259

the 1259 will be the port number?

No, thats not how it works. And a side note adresses never have 4 numbers in a row, it is allways xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If a port number is specified with an IP address it would be something like 123.456.789.000:xxxx

where the : separates the IP from the port so :xxxx is the port number

Last edited:
I have seen a good picture at 1.5 mbit, but it is not HD and 1.5 has to be sustained. About 3mbit is where I see an HD-Lite picture appearing on a 24" computer monitor.

Just bought one and it doesn't work. The lights on the front just keep blinking. I have reset it a few times and unplugged and replugged it a few times as well. Reset my router. All of the connections are in and set properly.

How long should it take before the lights go solid?

Last edited:

Quest for my first flat panel

How do 3D TV's Compare to the 3D at the movie theater?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)