SlingTV Invites going out tonight 1/26

Ahead of its commercial launch, Sling TV (go here to see our hand-on review of it) said it will soon send out a “first batch” of invitations to consumers who pre-registered for the new OTT offering, which starts at $20 per month for a core lineup of 12 channels and access to a VOD library.

Those that made the initial cut will find out on Tues. Jan. 27 at midnight ET, when Sling TV issues its invites. Those consumers will be allowed to sign-up at Sling.com and take an early gander before the commercial launch, which is expected to take place within the next two weeks. Sling TV has not announced how many consumers have pre-registered for the service or how many will be cleared for access on Tuesday.

multichannel.com

CNN and ESPN for 20 bucks did it for me, the rest is just icing on the cake!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

so everyone DVR's espn that watches it? I can understand no wanting espn at all, but saying they never watch anything live... yet they want ESPN seems silly. I mean yes they have a few shows that are worthwhile when not showing a game of some sort, but heck those are available on radio or online.

Not sure I follow some of the complaints outside of not wanting ESPN at all. As for forced commercials... well many people are "renting" in one way or another a DVR to not have to watch commercials... so technically they are paying to not watch them.

so everyone DVR's espn that watches it? I can understand no wanting espn at all, but saying they never watch anything live... yet they want ESPN seems silly. I mean yes they have a few shows that are worthwhile when not showing a game of some sort, but heck those are available on radio or online.

Not sure I follow some of the complaints outside of not wanting ESPN at all. As for forced commercials... well many people are "renting" in one way or another a DVR to not have to watch commercials... so technically they are paying to not watch them.

Worth every penny for me. I grew up with just radio and newspapers and attendance required live sports. I can live without live events infested with peddlers.

so everyone DVR's espn that watches it?
Yes, to some degree if you use a DVR at all. Most of the time it is so you can quickly skip past commercials, or to instant replay a controversial play. Can't do that with SlingTV.

Yes, I will pass on Sling tv. The one stream at a time, limited dvr functions on certain channels and forced commercial breaks on others, sounds horrible to me. And the biggest thing to me ,is that you still have ESPN in the basic pack. I was hoping that this service would be the first to not force you to pay for sports and this service is not that. I don't think this service will be all that successful, if this is the way they are going to do it.

I say its about time we have packages without sports. In NY for most games it will cost you between a $100 and a $150 if your lucky to go see a game so let them pay that at home for a month of service.

Time for most people to stop subsidizing over priced sports!!

If you routinely DVR live sports events without watching it live also you would be in the extreme minority. Watching sports live is precisely why they get so much advertising income and feel they can charge more to be on Cable/Satellite.

If you routinely DVR live sports events without watching it live also you would be in the extreme minority. Watching sports live is precisely why they get so much advertising income and feel they can charge more to be on Cable/Satellite.

And they are right. Live sports are the only time I ever see commercials. That's even more true since I cut the cord. I will occasionally get a glimpse of an add if I'm not fast enough with the skip forward button when watching OTA recordings. Besides live sports everything else I watch comes from Netflix, Amazon Prime, or iTunes season passes and all 3 of those services cut the commercials out for me.

It's actually kind of weird. People will be talking about upcoming movies and stuff and I haven't even heard of them most of the time. I rarely see movie trailers and other things the advertisers try to hype up these days.

Reactions: Tampa8
almost live. I dvr most games and then start them after 30-40 minutes and catchup

I DVR football games pretty much in their entirety before I start watching. I can watch a 3-hour football game in about an hour.

Most people don't. If you use social media check out Twitter or Facebook during a big game. My entire feed is filled with people talking about big moments in the game as they happen. That's an engaged audience that no other TV programing can match. Advertisers have to love that kind of audience.

Reactions: SatinKzo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)