Smallest EMWIN antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.
UPDATE: R820T SDR dongle can indeed hear up at 169xMHZ if the noise floor increasing at that frequency when I bench power and connect to my LNA says anything.

No, I was not successful. I don't think the RTL-SRD is sensitive enough at that frequency. I have no LNA yet... What LNA did you get?

I got a custom inline deal that was built by a ham. it uses the atf10135 chip

http://www.mrs.bt.co.uk/dubus/9104-5.pdf
This is a document that mentions it.

Ebay has some commercial in-line amps for less than $100.
So far i haven't succeeded in acquiring signal yet either.
I think the dish is fine, feed on these wifi dishes is iffy and I think the RTL2832U most likely does a poor job at receiving these frequencies.
GOES-R team used a Ettus Research USRP as the receiver. I really ideally want this to work on RTL-SDR / RTL2832U but i dunno if this is dooable. We shall see I guess.

This is the design I've got so far.(Yes I know I don't have any filtering circuitry, this is just a rough sketch). It still needs the adc, fpga, power supplies and usb micro controller(Probably a cypress chip)
upload_2014-8-14_16-27-55.png

thanks for sharing :) - unfortunately I am not able to report any solid success thus far. I think either my feedhorn, a connector or the dongle ain't cutting the mustard.
with the amp inline the noise floor is higher and when i move the antenna around i get a higher SNR sweeping across the waterfall but I have no way of telling if this is the GOES-13 signal.
When i move / wiggle the N-Female to MCX male pigtail at the MCX end I see the same stuff sweeping back and fourth on the waterfall.

Silly question probably but does the wifi dish's dipole need to be powered? - I don't see why it would need to be.

Last night I tried the dish again. This time pointing it Inmarsat 4F3. This is what I got, the signals looks fairly strong, it gives me courage to keep trying for the goes 13 signals!

upload_2014-8-15_7-34-42.png

Nice! I've just confirmed that my dish, feed and amp are working! Only thing that should theoretically be stopping me from seeing the GOES-13/ GOES-14 1690 Mhz signal would be LOS issues or tuner sensitivity issues.

Amp and dish / dish feed is actually working down at 856 and 939 mhz when the dish and feed were designed for 2400mhz!!!

Spent the afternoon fiddling around. I know 100% my LNA is good. Dish should be good (1m grid parabolic) I can receive lower frequency stuff with the dish and amp. Thinking LOS issues or that the RTL dongles are deaf up at 1692mhz.
Unless the goes-13 and goes-14 signal is wide (just under 3mhz) and weak (even with an amp). - I can point toward the goes sats and see the noise floor increase. (I'm sampling at 3.2msps so should have about 3mhz bandwidth).
I was expecting to see some peaks on the FFT display - if there is a peak it is wide and flat - not sure if this is what I should be expecting.

Really starting to think the tuners are my issue (tried 2x R820t and 1x e4000)

Thinking LOS issues or that the RTL dongles are deaf up at 1692mhz....
Really starting to think the tuners are my issue (tried 2x R820t and 1x e4000)

Yeah that's the conclusion I'm getting. There is the Hackrf, but I don't need the transmitting....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)