Smoking Cheese

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Well I decided to spend Christmas morning experimenting with smoking cheese. I have 7 pounds of provolone out on the smoker right now. Using apple wood to provide the smoked flavoring for the cheese. After I pull it off in 3 hours, I will vacuum seal and then place it in the fridge to rest for a couple of weeks.

Next round of cheese will be some mozzarella, cheddar and some string cheese. Just need to buy some extra wood pellets before attempting those.

You are 100% right on cold smoking. This time ever trying to cold smoke something.

Ive been thinking about buying the cold smoke plate for my SmokinTex.

Temps? Which smoker?

You can do it in almost any smoker as long as you can keep the temps below or around 80 degrees. I purchased one of these for helping with cold smoking. They come in tubes and mazes and produce smoke for up to 12 hours depending on the size that you buy. You basically just light one end and it is enough to produce all the smoke that you will need.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

Well here is my first attempt. A few of them don't look like they received enough smoke but we shall see once they rest for a few weeks.

10410677_10203076228372807_3055201737012136648_n.jpg

Was able to leave work early today and I received my stock of apple wood pellets. Decided since its so nice out that I would put on some cheddar and pepper jack.