Smoking Meat?

We like beef pork and chicken. Just trying out some ribs. We really liked those, but the outer part was real black - not burnt kinda like the black that sticks to the top side of the smoker. We are using a gas water smoker. Thanks!

Reactions: spongella
Sorry, no help from me in that area, I only use real wood indirect smoking.

I smoke mostly pork ribs (loin back/baby) pork shoulder and butt. I do chicken, sausage & fish sometimes.

About the only similarities I could pass along would be some meat prep and temperature dos & donts.

I am not sure the cooking and flavor results may not be very close. I have some secrete homemade rub recipes I could share with you, but then I would have to kill you.

Last edited:
OK sorry, but that guy was on FoodTV with his BBQ U and it is a total fraud. Use his free resources to search out more via google but don't buy anything.

How is he a fraud? He is a cook, that makes good tasting meals. I have used several of his recipes and they have all turned out great.

Besides, iafirebuff, asked for some smoking recipes and there are a ton on that site.

I was saying BUYING from him or paying for the "classes" is the fraud due to the over rated costs. You can get the freebies he offers and then search out everything else that he charges for, including the books that have the same stuff over and over, free as well. AND if you pay $2500 and up to take his class, well thats CRAZY!

I thought the questions were about SMOKING, and most of what that guy does (that he calls BBQ) is GRILLING and spit-roasting; smoking meat is 100% different than these other cooking methods and yield totally different tastes and results.

Last edited:
I've had a Brinkmann electric smoker for years.

Make sure you dont run out of water in your water pan and turn the propane down on yours if it is adjustable. IT soulds like it is getting too hot. A rack of pork ribs usually takes me about 4.5-5 hours to smoke.

About every 2 hours I put more wood chips in to get a more smoked flavor.

My favorite woods are: Oak, Cherry, Apple, Maple, Hickory. (In that order)

Never use Walnut. It gives off a toxin when smoked.(Or so I've heard)

Make sure the surface of the meat you are smoking is DRY to the touch. Pat or air dry so that the smoke and steam have something to stick to.

Use a dry spice rub: I use a combination of garlic powder, onion, powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, white, pepper, black pepper, salt, rosemary, sage, dill weed, dill seed and sometimes low sodium chicken boullion powder. Rub it on the ribs and refrigerate overnight up to 2 days prior to smoking.

Never use a BBQ sauce to coat your ribs until the last 20-30 minutes of smoking. I'd say this is why they were blackened from the sugary sauce. It will burn on the outside before the middle even gets done.

I personally think it is a SIN to sauce any smoked meat.

Lets eat! :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

THANKS for the tips :) I have only done the ribs once, and did use any bbq sauce. Just a pork rib rub. I like hickory myself, and always make sure that I have water :) We had an electric water smoker, but got a good deal on an lp gas one :) I am going to have to try ribs again this weekend :)

charper1 said:
I was saying BUYING from him or paying for the "classes" is the fraud due to the over rated costs. You can get the freebies he offers and then search out everything else that he charges for, including the books that have the same stuff over and over, free as well. AND if you pay $2500 and up to take his class, well thats CRAZY!

I thought the questions were about SMOKING, and most of what that guy does (that he calls BBQ) is GRILLING and spit-roasting; smoking meat is 100% different than these other cooking methods and yield totally different tastes and results.

After I reread your post, i undertood what you meant. I agree with the not paying the rediculous amount for the classes or his books. I have the barbeque bible (got is for xmas) and it's just ok. I would not have bought it myself. I should have been more specific in my first post. He has a message board on the site and there are a lot of people that post their techniques, results of different ideas and such. Good source for grilling, smoking, etc, etc. Not Steve Riechlen himself. The people that post to the message board.

Doctor Bob said:
Don't pay any attention to Charper1, he can't stand it, if someone get's a leg up on him... LOL

troll.

Don't mind bob, he hates when people try to pass real world facts to help people save money or show common sense by the use of the facts. bob send us $2500+ so we can take this class that you are advocating, or you can gladly re-pay my 2 friends that got burnt taking it and learning a valuable life lesson; DON'T BUY THE HYPE.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
OK sorry, but that guy was on FoodTV with his BBQ U and it is a total fraud. Use his free resources to search out more via google but don't buy anything.

You just slammed the BBQ U, as a "Total Fraud", so where is the Proof Charper1??? And you are promoting others to take advantage of someones free resources, but not buying anything??? Who the hell are you, to tell people not to buy anything??? You are the Fraud Charper1, and the paybacks for your anti business attitude, are going to be a Bi*ch!!! RONTGLMAO....

Fight nice...

I was on FoodTV(Cooking Live with Sarah Moultin - show#CL9312) back in the day. I have the tape here somewhere.

Anywho... Forget buying anything. The best way to learn about cooking/BBQ/Smoking is to DO IT!

The only time I advocate going by a recipe is when curing. If you don't use prague powder(sodium nitrite), you can spoil your product and get *very* sick.

Maybe I should sell some *how-to* courses.. :p