So where's some news from the D* press conference?

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
OK, E* had their press briefing and we were getting live updates. The D* conference has been going for almost one hour and we've heard zilch. Where is everyone????:mad:

Are they locking people in the conference room and blocking cellphones and wifi or something? It seems odd that it's been going on for more than an hour and nothing's been posted.

Maybe they figured it would take us weeks to process all the phenomenal additions announced in their press release and there was no need for further announcements.

After all, with a dating show and the option to pay an extra fee for programs that we currently receive at no extra charge - what else could you possibly be looking for.

Nope, I've got a crappy 1 county company with a meager HD offering. {ESPN, DISC, HDNET, HDNM, HBO}

and they also control phone services in the area. :mad:

I'm not even sure if E* will accomodate an 8 box residential account - they used to have a limit.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in enhancing the viewing of my 4 HDTVs and 8 stbs I already own - not adding PCs to the mix, replacing my stb with faceplate with a "Pro" rack mounted unit, or replacing my TVs with new LCDs w/D* tuners.......

OK, I'm totally disappointed in D* for no new national HD programming announcements. Looks like I'll be scheduling Comcast today so at least I can get TNT-HD, Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD and our local RSN's HD channel. If D* had given me just one of those channels I probably would have satisified for a while but we got zilch.

And frankly I'm also disappointed in Scott for totally ignoring the D* folks on this site. All I've seen is a copy of press releases that D*'s been pushing out that I get anyhow via Google notifications. Hell, I get more info from LonghornXP on D* matters lately. Normally Scott does a good job at things like this but this time I feel that except for E* coverage, which was all over the place, I don't even see one single photo from the D* area.

And frankly I'm also disappointed in Scott for totally ignoring the D* folks on this site. All I've seen is a copy of press releases that D*'s been pushing out that I get anyhow via Google notifications. Hell, I get more info from LonghornXP on D* matters lately. Normally Scott does a good job at things like this but this time I feel that except for E* coverage, which was all over the place, I don't even see one single photo from the D* area.

This is something that has bothered me for a while, and its not just Scott but its also that other big satellite forum. Huge discussions, post, and participation in the Dish sections, crickets and dust in the DirecTV sections. Is it just that the owners of these sites have Dish and so that is what they tend to focus on? Or is it something else? You'd think that with DirecTV having more subs then Dish that at minimum the talk and coverage in the two sections would be equal.

gigapower said:
This is something that has bothered me for a while, and its not just Scott but its also that other big satellite forum. Huge discussions, post, and participation in the Dish sections, crickets and dust in the DirecTV sections. Is it just that the owners of these sites have Dish and so that is what they tend to focus on? Or is it something else? You'd think that with DirecTV having more subs then Dish that at minimum the talk and coverage in the two sections would be equal.

Let me guess... Nothing to report?;)

I'm thinking that if D* had anything worth talking about Scott would have mentioned it. There really has not been a lot to talk about with D* other than the mpeg LIL. That recent press release probably made more people around here mad than anything. I think the media center PC thing can be cool and sure the portable tv thing is cool but when we hear things like Direct Date taking up our bandwidth instead of a new HD channel we're all like :confused:. If there truely is absolutely no bandwidth to issue any new HD channels then fine, I can live with that until both of these spaceways are up, but D* can at least tell us if we are going to get anything new with spaceway 1 & 2 besides the same 4 locals we already get, hell Dish announced a bunch of new HD channels that won't be launched for 3+ weeks and they don't even have any of the hardware out to the market yet that can display them.

If you guys had listened to the talking head you would have heard what Scott said about the DirecTv. In a nutshell, he went over their booth and they were not prepared. Their gadgets were all non-working demos and some where inside the box and would not let any one touch them. According to Scott, they were unprepared and not ready to answer any questions. What else can a reporter do when the source has an unprepared agenda?

Sean Mota said:
If you guys had listened to the talking head you would have heard what Scott said about the DirecTv. In a nutshell, he went over their booth and they were not prepared. Their gadgets were all non-working demos and some where inside the box and would not let any one touch them. According to Scott, they were unprepared and not ready to answer any questions. What else can a reporter do when the source has an unprepared agenda?

Sorry, didn't know that it was going to be a requirement to get information to listen to the talking head. :confused: I would have taken less time to put out a one line blurb says what you just said.

I thank Scott and everyone else who is at CES reporting for their dedication and hard work.

What you guys realize is Scott and company are not getting paid to do this. They paid out of pocket for the trip to CES.

If D* really is that unprepared for CES, that also makes me think they are unprepared for their new HD offerings. I may take a look at some alternatives if that's the case. :(

I am not there and cannot say for sure what Scott's schedule is like over there. I know he would like to cover as much as possible and many times uses the talking head (through a cell phone) to convey information to the site as quickly as possible. I do not know how easy or flexible it is to get to an internet connection either. So there are lots of variables when covering an event like this. It is fast pacing and many times one has to move from one site to another very quickly to catch events or presentations. I am sure that if there was a "Big News" to report on D* Scott would have not ignore it.

I do not listen to the talking head all the time but do listen in the evening. Last evening (yesterda) the talking head was reporting what I wrote in my previous post.

Breaking news this just in from Directv

cricket cricket.........cricket cricket

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)