So where's some news from the D* press conference?

According to Scott's new thread the HMC was just in concept form.

Not happy about that.

I may talk with the wife about some alternatives now. I don't want the new HD-DVR if the HMC is still coming. But, from what has been reported the new HD-DVR won't be out until this summer.

This sucks.

Starting to feel that old Rupert and his cronies don't know how to run a satellite company. At least not one in a real competative market.

D* didn't do anything, nothing more to it than that regarding CES coverage...unless you REALLY need a date who watches Oxygen, Lifetime and OLN, then there's exciting news for you down the page a bit...

But regarding why DISH talk far outweighs D* talk, I think it's because E* folks have more to complain about, and cling to ANYTHING remotely resembling good news. We all have "abused-wife syndrome" and it shows...D* people seem to be generally happy with what they've got.

I just can't believe that D* just "rolled over" and let E* steal this show, it'd be like if Microsoft came to E3 and showed off a bunch of exciting things for Xbox 360 and Sony just sat there with no PlayStation 3 info.

Again TiVo Series 3 with cable card support is looking VERY tempting!

Well DIRECTV's plans were pretty much already announced... Launching spaceway satellites to bring LIL HD all across America along with capacity for up to 150 HD national channels... Only real announcement they could have made is an agreement with VOOM...

We still know more about what DIRECTV is doing than what Dish is going to do. You already know what the MPEG-4 conversion costs and what equipment it requires and how they are rolling it out.

Is it just me or in D becoming a bad Tv provider? I drop the HD package a long time ago and this news is not helping them out at all .

They're starting up a dating service.

They're going to start selling programming that we get for free.

...and for those of us active enough to get our butts off the couch, but lame enough that we want to watch Golden Girls reruns when we reach our destination - they're coming out with a solution.

Sounds like they're focusing on the "nerd" part of "HD nerd".

Let's see, after reading all the forums, HD set new sales are going to exceed SD this year, Dish has plans for more HD and from a marketing standpoint is kicking D* s butt, D* took away 4 HD channels from those of us who qualified for E&W DNS and then they release a "press release" that talks about Dating, downloading reruns and a re announcement of an MPEG4 HD DVR, plus rehashing the same LIL HD dribble they have been feeding us for months. Are they NUTS! Who is the idiot that is making the decisions at DirecTV? The "nerds" are even going to give up on D*. Verizon, please bring me FIOS, rescue me from this insanity!

........dating channel............:eek:
Folks, has anyone from D*'s upper Management been to Best Buy or CC...or Wal-Mart............I've seen 1080P monitors..........granted there is no 1080P programing.................
Think for a second.......we bought our HD monitors & discovered how bad analog programing is..........now we can buy a 1080P display & find out how bad HD-Lite is............plus, we have to pay for it & no new HD-Lite programing to boot..........hey, I'll pay more for that.......forget it.

D* wants me to pay them per month to get ABC, NBC, CBS, & FOX HD locals (plus all those shopping channels...etc), have a 35lb 3'x2' DISH mounted (pay $99 for this---they call it upgrade), a H20 MPEG4/2 STB that will be a "boat anchor" for an ATSC tuner if not a sub with D*.........
When right now I get for free by OTA, ABC-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, PBS-HD, & WB-HD along with their sub digital channels & thats just with a $14 RS indoor antenna-wonder what I could get with a $75 outdoor antenna.....& remember these OTA HD feeds aren't HD-Lite........

Does anyone else see a problem here?

Barney

The bean counters have taken over D* totally,along with the idiots who gave us wife swap and dancing with stars.

Barney said:
When right now I get for free by OTA, ABC-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, PBS-HD, & WB-HD along with their sub digital channels & thats just with a $14 RS indoor antenna-wonder what I could get with a $75 outdoor antenna.....& remember these OTA HD feeds aren't HD-Lite........

So far there are no reports of HD-Lite on any of the MPEG4 D* channels. If there's a silver lining, at least that's something to hold on to.

Last edited:
enoree said:
The bean counters have taken over D* totally,along with the idiots who gave us wife swap and dancing with stars.

Those are ABC's idiots. Our idiots gave us "Trading Spouses" and "Skating with Celebrities".

Please get your idiots straight. ;)

CPanther95 said:
Those are ABC's idiots. Our idiots gave us "Trading Spouses" and "Skating with Celebrities".
Please get your idiots straight. ;)
ABC idiots to Fox idiots: I'm a much bigger idiot than you.
Fox idiots to ABC idiots: Excuse me, I'm Fox - Lord of the idiots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts