Solid Signal now has Televes antennas! Mine is on the way

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
From my username , you might have guessed , but I once spent a lot of time in Spain. I was shocked to see this being sold in the USA, but , I guess they needed the money.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...TV-Antenna-with-LTE-Filter-(149481)&q=televes

I plan on replacing my Raleigh antenna with this one. I know that, realistically, it might not pick up any better, but, hopefully , it will pull WTVD 11 in.

In the past two years, they've become one of our go-to faves for several commercial applications. I'd second that recommendation.

How would this compare with a 4 or 8 bay UHF antenna?

I think I have an 8 bay (CM 4228 not HD version or similar ) that I mostly pick up channel 31 with from our RV.

25419 elevation ~460' maybe add 30-40' if remounted on pole atop shelter. Lots of trees.

I thought I bought it from Solid Signal but I guess not. Darned if I remember.

I'm wondering if this Telves antenna might be any better, with a rotor and an added 30+ feet.

Today we get 31 (rf44) well and 60 (rf12) reasonably well but 25 (rf26) poorly if at all.

TV Fool shortly. But as I read it, I should just be happy with what we've got. We enjoy 31 MPT anyway.

Or would a different antenna and a few more feet make a difference?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5134dedbb6bec0

upload_2016-3-9_20-45-9.png

BTW, I think Its a CM 3020 on my home. Can't quite pick up 31, though.

A little more research and I think with an antenna like the CM 3020 and mast and rotor atop RV shelter and I could get a few more stations. But such a flimsy antenna probably would not survive the winds an branches up there. Certainly, there are bits and pieces of apparently abandoned OTA antennas all over the campground.

I should have JUMPED on this. The smaller size and sturdier build would likely have worked out.

A little more research and I think with an antenna like the CM 3020 and mast and rotor atop RV shelter and I could get a few more stations. But such a flimsy antenna probably would not survive the winds an branches up there. Certainly, there are bits and pieces of apparently abandoned OTA antennas all over the campground.

I should have JUMPED on this. The smaller size and sturdier build would likely have worked out.
You may still be able to jump on it, if it sold out that fast there is a good chance they will reorder.

Reactions: navychop
I
But odd that 31 isn't listed as best. Mounted on shed wall. Must check heading.
if you have to deal with hills/mountains Trip (the guy who runs rabbitears) says sometimes the TVfool may read wrong due to knife edge difracting (I think thats what its called) where the tvfool may say one thing but it comes in good.

I HATE the Televes VHF combo antenna! The VHF on it is honestly better on the HDB91X than on the Televes antenna! I was hoping to replace my HDB91X with the Televes combo unit and get channel 11 out of Raleigh. That was a no go. Since channel 13 is so strong here, I even trapped channel 13 with a DC passive notch filter, just in case the amp was causing 13 to override 11, nope.

I wrote a review to put on their website, but Solid Signal chose not to post it. I even tried pointing it at Greensboro, since their signal is stronger than Raleigh's. Well, the "smart" antenna that makes sure that some stations will not override others. Well, I guess since 29, 31 and 32 were so strong, it seemed to attenuate channel 35, so I could only receive intermittent signals from it! The signal would bounce from 0-60%.

You are much better off with the HDB91X with an amp than to get a Televes antenna. Solid Signal was nice enough to accept a return.

Was I asking too much of it to get WGHP or WTVD???

Radar-All.png

Radar-All.png

I
But odd that 31 isn't listed as best. Mounted on shed wall. Must check heading.
Looks like 31 is SE of you whereas WHAG and Ion is NW of you.

You must have one helluva obstacle to the SE having PBS be only 15 miles away and 500kw and for it to show that low on the tvfool.

Was it too much to expect it to get me 11? Really? They are great if you live in Spain and have LARGE birds getting on them all the time, Durable yes, but not so good. Well the HDB91x may be some Asian recycled cans and plastic, but whoever designed it knew what they were doing!

I will say this, for sentimental reasons, I want one, so Solid Signal is letting me exchange it for the larger UHF only. I have spent many summers looking at these orange and white antennas.

Another issue, Solid Signal says the they need solid copper RG6 going to them. I am going to try that today and see it anything changes. My guess is that it will not. 50 feet should not make a difference. I currently have band new tic rg6 going to it.

Reactions: Nascarken 91xg
I saw that the other day and was sad to see I couldn't find a replacement for the unamplified Televes I installed ages ago. There is nothing wrong with the antenna except the roofers broke a couple of the cross-pieces off when they were climbing up to the second story roof.

We have UHF stations in our market so the model I got worked great, and I'm within five miles of all the transmitters so I don't want the amplifier on it.

I also bought the long-range model (since it was shipped from England the shipping was pretty much the same for one versus two antennas) but the pre-amp on the antenna needs a higher voltage than the power inserter I had and the preamp wouldn't kick in, staying in the passive mode. I see Solid Signal has the Televes PI so I'm going to have to check one out.

Edit: I am home and have access to my records. Looks like I bought and installed the Televés 1085 antenna in 2002. The long-range antenna I bought for up north is the DAT 75.
Televés.jpg
Foxbat-DBS#5.jpg
Televes-1085.jpg

Last edited:
See it has an LTE filter, wonder if it is for filtering out LTE phone signals?

Beautiful looking antenna - if I was an antenna I'd want to look like the Televes.

See it has an LTE filter, wonder if it is for filtering out LTE phone signals?

Beautiful looking antenna - if I was an antenna I'd want to look like the Televes.
The LTE filter is needed since the FCC has been reallocating the upper UHF TV band and selling the frequencies to the mobile carriers to use for new LTE bands. To an older UHF antenna, that new LTE Smartphone next door looks like UHF channel 63. If it's got a pre-amp on it, the pre-amp could be overloaded by the closer signal.

Of course, the FCC wants to sell off more of the OTA UHF spectrum, so hopefully the "LTE Filter" can be easily updated to reject the new chunk of UHF station space...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts