Some Channels Have Bad Quality

This is what it looks like. And any lettering on the screen or other straight lines are just as ragged.

Attachments

• IMG_20140623_172659.jpg
    IMG_20140623_172659.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 176
What resolution does everyone here prefer to keep their receivers on, 720p or 1080i?

I am not claiming any earth shattering difference, but to me 720P looks better on my 55". I sit just at the edge of where I should get the benefit of 1080.

As for the ID channel I checked last night and now, I'm not seeing the jagged edges. However I do think I saw it once when flipping through the channels, but not recently.

Reactions: 356B
I am not claiming any earth shattering difference, but to me 720P looks better on my 55". I sit just at the edge of where I should get the benefit of 1080.
I agree with you on 720p, even on my 60"at about 12'. Just looks "cleaner" for lack of better term.

Reactions: 356B and Tampa8
I agree with you on 720p, even on my 60"at about 12'. Just looks "cleaner" for lack of better term.

I'm going to have to play with this today. I've had 1080i on all my TVs since 2001. I'll see what 720p looks like on my 70"...

I just turned to 720p and to ID and DISC and it looks just as jagged on the logo and straight lines. All the other channels that are fine seem to be sharper on 1080i vs. 720p. I switched back to 1080i.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It looks like the provider may be using an SD logo on the HD feed. If the rest of the picture is fine, there is nothing that you or Dish can do about it.

My thoughts were always that a lot of shows are broadcast is 720p so I should have my receiver set to 720p. Also, I just think that a progressive scanned picture would be smoother than more lines interlaced.

I know the local tv stations here have really crap signal any time a cloud pops up in the sky where I live. At least once a rotation I will roll out to a service call or trouble call because the local tv stations are constantly dropping out and you get that splash screen that says we are aware of the problem and we are working on it screen.

My thoughts were always that a lot of shows are broadcast is 720p so I should have my receiver set to 720p. Also, I just think that a progressive scanned picture would be smoother than more lines interlaced.

That's been my thought too. I have 2 720p and 2 1080p tvs and most of the channels I watch are 720p, so I set the 722 and 211's to 720p.

My thoughts for Ralfyguy are swap the lnb and hdmi cable if you have spares, if that doesn't help order a replacement receiver from Dish.

If there is little or no movement in the picture, 1080i is sharper that 720p.

Interlacing is only visible if/when there is motion in the frames.

Reactions: pwrsurge
I actually noticed that when set to 720p, that sometimes the picture seems to flicker like older tube TV's.

So the question if it is the receiver or not has resolved itself. The 722 spread it's legs, rebooted and sits there with a black screen and two red blinking lights. RIP...

OK, so after I got a replacement receiver the channels problem was still there. Then a few days later, the quality of the channels went back to normal without me changing anything. It must have been the feed from Dish.

On ID Channel, Discovery Channel and a few others, the logo on the bottom right is looking all jagged and also if there is letters anywhere else on the screen it also looks jagged. The CC looks normal.
Also the picture itself looks a little blurry as well. Anybody else seeing this?

Hello~ I am sorry to hear you are having an issue with these channels. Do you have another receiver besides the 622? I checked the Hopper here and it seems to be fine. Have you tried unplugging the receiver? Also, is the issue on TV1 and TV2?

For the last several days while watching an HD channel, it would switch to the SD channel because of "losing the HD signal" warning prompt. In at least 2 cases, I was unaware that the switch had taken place (left to get goodies in the kitchen or a "loo" break) only to find my HD channel looking all wrong and ugly. Yep, it was changed to the SD. I would tune back to HD and most of the time all was well from that point, but a few times it would then change BACK to the SD. Within about 10 minutes I could re-tune to the HD channels and it would stay there for good.

IMHO, Dish must be messin' with things for some sort of change, probably for the better regarding encoding or other changes. Nothing wrong with our system. However, I notice this "problem" happening at night far more often and the later at night the more.

They "switching to sd equivalent" is a signal loss message. Are you EA or WA and what is your signal strength on the satellites affected?

Hi DishSubLA, I would be happy to fix this for you. Please send us a private message with your account number and 4 digit pin so we can get started! Thanks.

Hi DishSubLA, I would be happy to fix this for you. Please send us a private message with your account number and 4 digit pin so we can get started! Thanks.

Thank you so much for your offer, but I have no problems. This or similar itty bitty problems is TYPICAL when Dish engineering is tweaking, often for making room changing out encoders or manually adjusting software/encoders themselves or in some other way tweaking with the system in the wee hours of the night. For about 3 days always just past midnight PDT (3:00 AM EDT), only a few HD channels would be lost and the boxes (yes, two of us watching in 2 different rooms) would switch to SD. Sometimes the HD channels would be black for just about 5 minutes, but after about 20 minutes, all was well. As a subscriber for over 10 years I have seen this type of anomalous, but very temporary, for like only several minutes, behavior many times. Further, Engineering has confirmed on past Tech Forums they do this stuff whenever possible late at night when the vast majority of customer never notice, but some of do notice, but it's never a huge problem when they do it because we have tons of other HD channels to tune to during that strange 20 minute period for 3 days, and things ALWAYS return to normal before a half-hour and this stuff rarely occurs during the daylight hours when many more people are watching Dish (sometimes Engineering monkeys with the LIL late at night, as well, but I haven't noticed so for many many months). BTW, as a "coincidence" Pack 12 went 24/7 just a day or so AFTER they were tweaking on previous nights. I think they were making room for PAC 12, and probably more or at least "experimenting."

I was offering a possible explanation as to why the OP found some of his HD channels looking like poor PQ having had the system change to SD without my noticing. FYI, we have NOT had that problem ever since.

To make clear, our system is working as it should, it was just monkey business after midnight and only for a span of 20 minutes, then all is PERFECT again, and only for 3 consecutive nights. Again, thank you so much for offering you assistance. This is exactly one of the big reasons I stay with Dish, because of overall (not the overseas CSR's) really good customer service from people in the USA. So, glad you and the rest of the DIRT team are here to help whenever we need it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)