Some Channels Have Bad Quality

They "switching to sd equivalent" is a signal loss message. Are you EA or WA and what is your signal strength on the satellites affected?

See the post above. Yes, the HD signal was lost, but because Dish is tweaking. No system problems whatsoever.

We do updates between 1am and 3am, if the issue was/is only happening after midnight it could be, as you stated, doing system tweaking. I am glad to hear you are enjoying our services! If you need anything from us in the future, please feel free to contact us.

I recently went from Samsung 47" to Sharp 60", immediately I thought my new TV was inferior to the 47.....after calibrating the new set I discovered setting my Hopper to 720 did away with the poor picture quality I was seeing, sharper images and graphics. I went on the read via google that must programs are broadcast in 720 currently anyway....? The larger screens seem to exemplify flaws in the broadcast, even with a 12 -16 mil pixel count, it's pretty good but it's not Blu-Ray quality yet.
Living in a 954** zip we receive SF locals, the local Fox affiliate channel 2 has the jagged edges the TS mention several pages ago. I have deducted all broadcast are not equal, and maybe all installers aren't either. I recently bought a signal meter and discovered my dish needed significant tuning only weeks after the Dish tech was out to align the dish....thankfully Dish comp that alignment.
I believe as TVs get better the quality of the broadcast becomes, in some cases, painfully obvious.

Last edited:
I recently went from Samsung 47" to Sharp 60", immediately I thought my new TV was inferior to the 47.....after calibrating the new set I discovered setting my Hopper to 720 did away with the poor picture quality I was seeing, sharper images and graphics. I went on the read via google that must programs are broadcast in 720 currently anyway....? The larger screens seem to exemplify flaws in the broadcast, even with a 12 -16 mil pixel count, it's pretty good but it's not Blu-Ray quality yet.
Living in a 954** zip we receive SF locals, the local Fox affiliate channel 2 has the jagged edges the TS mention several pages ago. I have deducted all broadcast are not equal, and maybe all installers aren't either. I recently bought a signal meter and discovered my dish needed significant tuning only weeks after the Dish tech was out to align the dish....thankfully Dish comp that alignment.
I believe as TVs get better the quality of the broadcast becomes, in some cases, painfully obvious.

Yes, quality does sure vary among TV channel services. Sometimes because they have lousy equipment, cheap encoders or just not great engineers. Also, the engineer's "philosophy" regarding PQ makes a difference. I don't think MVPD's can do much to improve a poor PQ from a local for LIL because of the law, but for all the other channel, MVPD's have much more latitude to process what they are getting to get it to look best or at least consistent to what other channels look. The biggest offender are local channels. However, for the most part the channels from 105 on are from some of the biggest media companies and, in general, they seem to be providing top PQ for the MVPD's. Sometimes it is the program content such as with later episodes of Star Trek TNG on BBC America. They look AWFUL. They must be using old, perhaps, original source provided by Paramount. It seems BBC America never bothered to pay for a clean transfer as TNT did because their ST TNG's have always looked great. Meanwhile BBC America has just started airing Star Trek TNG in true HD, but only the very early episodes, so far. Wow, what a difference! They look GREAT.

Well, I believe it is at the 60" mark that HDTV starts to look not so good with our current 1920X1080i system. The technical argument of 4K is that for 60" and certainly larger, we are better served by 4K, and as more people buy those bigger screens, the flaws of HDTV (not necessarily Blu-ray) become apparent. It should also be noted that may claim not to see a difference in PQ between 1080i and 4K until we get to those really big screens, at least 60" and up. Also, if one has a cheaper or inferior brand or model of big screen HDTV (Vizio, sorry, but they have crap images), there is not much one can do to make the PQ better and it may just look like junk no matter what. Now, a high end Sony or Series 7 or higher Samsung well take that same signal that looks so underwhelming and flawed with a Vizio like HDTV, and the top Sony and Sammys wil produce a GLORIOUS image. It's all in the proprietary electronics of those superior TV's and the many far more settings the top HDTV's have so that one can really zero in on great PQ. My old entry level Sharp just can't help but produce some banding and a few other flaws, while our two high-end Samsungs and one Sony just don't produce those PQ problems. They take the same signal and make it sumptuous while the old entry level Sharp just can't do Dish PQ justice.

Good stuff, my new Sharp 60" Class AQUOS Q+ LC-60UQ17U is amazing in PQ and black levels. Once tuned in it makes the 47" Samsung look very ordinary. I went with the Sharp because it can almost upscale to 4K if needed, (not that there's anything currently). To repeat, finding that setting the Hopper to 720 made major PQ differences was totally unexpected. The Sharp auto corrects to 1080 when watching DVD's/BR which is nice also. I nearly got the bent screen Samsung.......the salesman had issues though, as did I.

I have a 40" Samsung. After a few days now channels 192, 183 and 184 are back to being jagged. But this time 182 is not. It is still fine. I doubt this seriously that it has to do with any of my equipment.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I agree, this situation reflects in part on the quality of the broadcast sent to the viewers by whomever is in charge of relaying the signal or data.

Yeah and it is only on these channels always, with the exception of 182 DISC this time. It was fine for two weeks after the last occurrence. Are ID, Animal Planet and TLC affiliated?

Yeah and it is only on these channels always, with the exception of 182 DISC this time. It was fine for two weeks after the last occurrence. Are ID, Animal Planet and TLC affiliated?

I think so they either fall under the Discovery Channel family of networks or they fall in the AE family of networks.

Edit: Just came home and DSC is now also jagged on logo and displayed wording on screen again. The overall picture is somewhat ok, but not as sharp. It reminds me of a few years ago when interleaved content looked like that on 1080i. Like I said, all other channels are fine and look great. It's always those four that get messed up. It is the same on my other TV and the 622 there in the other room. Cannot imagine that it is the LNBF, because why should it be always the same channels only.

Actually DishQualilty will check, even with one complaint. I've used them and they had my issue fixed in a matter of hours.... Other times a day or two....

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I've worked with dishquality folks over the last 10 or 12 years and got many locals fixed and other channel issues on the national cable channels as well. They have worked to add guide data for my locals in my city at my request -mind you it took many attempts,but they did get most of my locals now with guide data. Also helped me recently when I had my local CBS station change their channel identifier, which meant that I got guide data from way up in Tyler on ABC instead . They got my local CBS station to correct their channel identifier back to what it was supposed to be and fixed the problems. I would try to email them and keep being persistent till you get results.

In the pass 2 days i am getting glitching every 4-5 minuets on CNN #200 and FOX News #205, i am in EA signal quality is good.
i will switch over to my WA 500 plus dish to see if i am still getting the glitching.

61 w - 50 S/Q
72 w - 52 S/Q
77 w - 64 S/Q

i'm glad i saw your post because i just switched from Direct and noticed that the picture quality was softer (not as sharp) with Dish. it's not really noticeable on my small tv but definitely noticeable on my 110" screen. so i tried switching the setting to 720p and now it's better. it's weird. something must be off with their 1080i setting. but the 720p looks very good (almost as good as Direct) so i'm happy.

So I send an email to dishquality@echostar.com explaining to the best of my knowledge what the problem is and also left my account number. As expected I didn't get a response. CH 183 (TLC) is now better, but the other ones are still pretty bad. I suppose as a subscriber since 2003 with AEP you don't seem to matter much...

If this helps you any. Here is the logo from ID just now from my 722 on my 60in LG LED

2014-08-12 18.11.27.jpg

OSU, you are the best! Thanks for that. At least I know for sure that it's not my equipment.
That is exactly how it looks on my TV.
And it is not just about the logos. Any lettering on the screen looks like that and the overall picture isn't that great either. Other channels look razor sharp compared.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)