IMG_0740.JPG
    643.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 259
That's a good display: 4K Upscaling vs. Conventional HD. So how did the 4K upscaling look?

Scaling is OK but nowhere near the quality of native 4K.

Based on what I learned at the show from several sources. The move to 4K native content will be fast and from a variety of resources. Is not the studios that need to change, just the delivery bottleneck. Sony is not sending a video server with their 4K 84" sets loaded with 10 native 4k movies. This box will connect to the Internet and you will be able to add content as it becomes available. Samsung is working with Netflix on 4K streaming. There is a new codec in the works to make the 4K content more efficient. Sony is getting ready to roll out blu ray 4K native content in stages too. One Sony rep said today, that he believes the roll out of content in 4K will be much faster that we saw with 3D.

Oh and for those negative Nancy's who want to say 3D is dead and now we have 4K to replace it. NOT SO! 3D is now considered a given feature on nearly all TV sets. The screens in passive are cheap to do and the chip set to handle the various formats is also low cost. That is why 3D passive has come way down in price recently. More expensive are the active sets due to the extra electronics and costly glasses.

I saw the new Sony VW 10000ES projector. It's 4K 3D and really bright using a 330 watt bulb. It was shown on a 171" 16x9 screen. Very bright and tremendous detail in the image. It is currently selling for the past half year for $25,000 MSRP.

Oh and for those negative Nancy's who want to say 3D is dead and now we have 4K to replace it. NOT SO! 3D is now considered a given feature on nearly all TV sets.
That's what I've been thinking too! Compared to OLED and 4K, 3D is a relatively inexpensive feature. No reason not to include it in future sets.

For some all the time. For others, never. Not a major question, IMO. Kinda like closed caption. I never use it while others may use it all the time. It's as I predicted. Stereographic options are there, use it if you want.

Frankly, now that 3D is mainstream too many still make a big deal about having it, or worry about others having it when they don't. My daughters MIL bought a 3D Vizio, not really wanting 3D. I talked her into it. Now that she has it and has switched to DirecTV with 3D, she watches 3D all the time.

I would say that if you have a good TV now don't worry over 3D unless you really want it. But if you are in the market for a new TV, you'd be a fool to search out an older technology that lacks 3D passive even if you don't think you want it right now. Passive 3D is real easy to get used to enjoying.

This was Sony's demo of it's 4K 3D TV. It shows both upconverted 1080p to 2160p content off regular 3D BluRay movies as well as some upconverted content from Sony's 3Net TV channel.

As a reminder, I recorded this video in 3D using my Sony HDR TD10 and my special filter to preserve the 3D presentation from the TV.

Sony had several of these TVs on display showing various genre of content including games and their 4K server loaded with 10 2160p native movies that comes with the TV.
This was Sony's demo of it's 4K 3D TV. It shows both upconverted 1080p to 2160p content off regular 3D BluRay movies as well as some upconverted content from Sony's 3Net TV channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was at the ces as well
the sony 65 4 k tv was awesome with the built in speakers, the 84 inch had satellite speakers not near as good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)