XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Starts in a couple of minutes!

I didn't watch this, but tweets started popping into my Twitter timeline about how it was more them bashing the competition instead of actually talking about products, and came across very poorly.

I think there was a comment in the beginning on how Sony is leading the way for others to follow. But 99% of the presentation was a description of the product line and the new Sony innovations.

I think there was a comment in the beginning on how Sony is leading the way for others to follow. But 99% of the presentation was a description of the product line and the new Sony innovations.

IGN picked up on what I was talking about: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/08/ces-sonys-disappointing-press-conference

The Xperia Z, Sony's new flagship Android smartphone, was introduced amongst a meandering presentation about how Sony is leading the charge with imaging and NFC development. It wasn't about the phone, it was how the phone represented Sony as a whole.

The same could be said about its pair of new, more affordable 4K LED TVs. While certainly a triumph and a visual feast, the displays took the backseat to a heavy-handed dialog about how Sony pioneered the consumer OLED market and others are only now catching up.

Yeah, the comment about others playing catchup is a bit low rent, but we can't argue with the fact that it is a true statement. I've been following this stuff for several decades of analog and digital SDTV and HDTV and I can tell you the industry leader has always been Sony, NHK, and their close competitor, JVC. The rest are always playing catchup. NHK is the Japanese network who pioneers the broadcast end of these new formats.

It is also interesting that today, JVC has really fallen by the wayside in the industry direction. They really have little to show ever since their last big innovation which was DVCPro and prior to that it was VHS.

This year at CES JVC partnered with Kenwood in the automotive electronics section in the north hall. One might mistake that they had no presence at the show but they are there with a small booth typical of a small startup company. They showed a couple new camcorders, digital low end still cameras, and their line of 3D DILA projectors. They now have 4 models of the same projector.

Also, don't forget that Sony also has a Broadcast division where many of these high end consumer products get their start. While LG did have a superior booth (IMO) for showing off the OLED and 4K LED, all 3D capable TVs, their introduction here is 2 years behind Sony's OLED broadcast monitors being sold. I also attend NAB, so I have been seeing these on display.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)