Sorry to say: VOOM's gotta go

rcmojo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Thanks to all the wonderful peeps in this forum that work so hard (harder than VOOM CSR's!!) to help bring V off the ground. Unfortunately, I'm cancelling my sub due to OTA issues. My OTA has been upgraded 3 times and I still suffer from very erratic signal loss. Sometimes the signal is solid (in the high 90's for all channels) but then it just decides to flake out. While I'm much more of a pioneer and willing to work through issues, the rest of my household just cannot handle a non-stable OTA signal. I'm back to dancing with the devil (Time Warner cable) but at least I'll have INHD1&2 along with the hdnets and locals in hd. I plan to keep an eye on V and if they're able to bring locals through the satellite, I'll really reconsider (they better damn well have a better install deal!!). Good luck to all you Voomer's and even though I'm cancelling, I'm pulling for V to make it long term. We need somebody to push the rest of the industry in making a true committment to HD. Peace!!

Sorry to see you go, but why blame Voom? Don't you have the initiative to fix this yourself? You know the installers know crap about OTA, do a little research yourself, buy the biggest, baddest antenna you can find, mount it and fix it. Don't leave just because of OTA, if you are close enough to receive the signals, there has to be a fix, stick with it.

Yup and if you go with another sat service you will be in the same boat needing OTA HD channels that you can only get by antenna if you are not in an O&O area or inside the grade B contour. Figure it out now or figure it out later.

rcmojo said:
My OTA has been upgraded 3 times and I still suffer from very erratic signal loss. Sometimes the signal is solid (in the high 90's for all channels) but then it just decides to flake out.

What might be the problem here? I don't understand how the signal can be high 90's at times and much much lower at other times (heavy storm aside). Never happens to me but I am really close to the transmission towers. I guess it may happen if the antenna is not firmly secured and moving or if there is a multipath problem.

I don't blame Voom at all. Even if I had the biggest, baddest antenna I could find, I still couldn't get all my locals. The local Fox affiliate transmits such a weak signal that it's impossible to pick up. Here in Austin TX, if you want the local Fox, you have to get it through twc or sat. I suppose my decision to switch back to the devil was swayed by the package they offered:

1 HD DVR
1 SD DVR
250+ SD channels (every movie pak and the sports pak)
all locals in HD (except nbc)
hdnet's + inhd's + tnthd (i'm laughing that I include this)
Fox Sports HD
hbo and show in HD
HD ppv

All of this for $85 per month.

Considering that I was spending $95 with VOOM and $73 with DTV, this offer was too tough to pass on. I fully realize that I'm taking a step backwards with HDTV but sometimes you just have to consider the sum of the parts. Anyways, no hard feelings against Voom.

andrzej said:
What might be the problem here? I don't understand how the signal can be high 90's at times and much much lower at other times (heavy storm aside). Never happens to me but I am really close to the transmission towers. I guess it may happen if the antenna is not firmly secured and moving or if there is a multipath problem.

I'm less than 10 miles away from the towers. According to the installer, tall trees and buildings may cause the signal to "bounce around" at times. Hell, I don't understand it either but what I do understand is glares and stares from the rest of the house when watching a program and suddenly faced with the dreaded signal lost black screen.

hdnet's + inhd's + tnthd (i'm laughing that I include this)
????? I hope laughing in a good way because Voom doesn't offer the first 2? You'll love HDNET, especially Bikini Destinations & Get Out. ;-) unless you are PW'd and won't watch because "the wife won't let me", gawd how I hate hearing that from a grown man. (man? how about whimp?).

Sounds like you're getting a pretty good deal, can't say I blame you for leaving, just keep an eye out on your cable bill, they have a way of roping you in then putting you on a forever increase every 6 months.

deArgila said:
$85 and no ESPN-HD. Wow.

Yeah, the catfight with disney and twc really sucks. Believe me, I really though long and hard and decided that even without espn-hd, the deal was too good to pass up.

Sorry to see you go mojo - I'm in Austin as well and have the same problem with Fox. Did you know KTBC is only broadcasting at 800 watts? That's a joke! No wonder nobody in Austin can get Fox OTA...
I get all my other locals with no problems, but I'm only about 8 miles from the towers. I've got a Radio Shack amplified HDTV antenna and it works great. Anyway, good luck and I hope you come back!

DarrellP said:
????? I hope laughing in a good way because Voom doesn't offer the first 2? You'll love HDNET, especially Bikini Destinations & Get Out. ;-) unless you are PW'd and won't watch because "the wife won't let me", gawd how I hate hearing that from a grown man. (man? how about whimp?).

Sounds like you're getting a pretty good deal, can't say I blame you for leaving, just keep an eye out on your cable bill, they have a way of roping you in then putting you on a forever increase every 6 months.

Damn chief, you got me all mixed up with some PW'd punk :) That ain't me!! I already have hdnet through DTV and BD is a favorite.

I'm locked in on this deal for 1 year. If after that, the price increase is too much to handle, I have no beef moving on to the next deal.

Hey why don't you just nix the problems with the OTA antenna if it doesn't work for you and just get TWC basic, that would be all the locals, and if I'm not mistaken you should be able to get locals in HD for the same price.

Also Voom has no control necessarily over whats being shot at over the air, they have direct control over your Sat. feed. Have you even done research as to where the towers are in your area, I would hit their web site and just map out where the towers are.. You may just need a rotor in your case and have no choice.

I have found that unless you live in a pure fiber op area, your cable quality even HD quality (except for like HDNET) is not going to be as clear. Softer image would be my main gripe. Also if you already have DirectTV don't you get your locals, and HD locals already tuned in from your Sat? I'm cornfused with your post.

electr0n said:
Sorry to see you go mojo - I'm in Austin as well and have the same problem with Fox. Did you know KTBC is only broadcasting at 800 watts? That's a joke! No wonder nobody in Austin can get Fox OTA...
I get all my other locals with no problems, but I'm only about 8 miles from the towers. I've got a Radio Shack amplified HDTV antenna and it works great. Anyway, good luck and I hope you come back!

800 watts? Surely your kidding, if not, that is stone cold ridiculous. No wonder I couldn't get the signal.

rcmojo said:
Damn chief, you got me all mixed up with some PW'd punk :) That ain't me!! I already have hdnet through DTV and BD is a favorite.
rcmojo, please note, I included an "unless" disclaimer in that sentence. :p

Dvlos said:
Hey why don't you just nix the problems with the OTA antenna if it doesn't work for you and just get TWC basic, that would be all the locals, and if I'm not mistaken you should be able to get locals in HD for the same price.

Also Voom has no control necessarily over whats being shot at over the air, they have direct control over your Sat. feed. Have you even done research as to where the towers are in your area, I would hit their web site and just map out where the towers are.. You may just need a rotor in your case and have no choice.

I have found that unless you live in a pure fiber op area, your cable quality even HD quality (except for like HDNET) is not going to be as clear. Softer image would be my main gripe. Also if you already have DirectTV don't you get your locals, and HD locals already tuned in from your Sat? I'm cornfused with your post.

I certainly considered doing exactly what you suggested. I guess the thought of having the HD DVR weighed heavily in my decision. Again, I'm not blaming Voom for anything. I've done all the research one can do re: OTA. I know that I'm 8.9 miles away from the tower and my ota needs to be oriented to 210 degrees. If (maybe more like when) I get disgusted with twc, I will return to Voom and get my own OTA w/rotor and not go through the stress of dealing with the contracted installers provided by Voom

Perhaps Voom should stop giving away OTA's and find some space on leased transponders and start putting locals on the birds.

I realize what a pain in the short run this would be, but the OTA mess must be causing Vook a lot of pain anyway.

I sure this will create backlash but if they drop Cinema 10 to 2 they might be able to do it.

One of the reasons i'm thinking of leaving is all the wasted HD channels-

I watch HBOHD (and west) DSCHD, TNTHD and Rave & Bravo HD. Voom's orignal channels are just flat out boring. 39 they say? How about 6?

If You Got To Go Then Go.
Anybody Who Says I'm Dumping VOOM Because Of OTA Issues Is Just Wanting To WINE.
If You Can Get Cable You Can Get A Package That Includes Mainly Your Locals With Few Other Stations.
You Can Get Dishnetwork & Get Just Your Locals & Hd Package (HDnet & HDnet Movies)
You Can Run Your Own Antenna & Hook It Up To Your TV or Get Your Own HD Receiver
Thats For OTA Only.
But Please People Stop Telling Us I'm Dumping VOOM Because Of OTA Proplems.

Seawaves I thought you quit Voom already? Please shut your trap about OTA over their sats, I would rather they save the b/w for something else. OTA in my area is sharp as hell and is actually in some cases better than Sat. I do agree their Exclusives need structuring but if you don't like them at all that's your problem. Rave is a Voom exclusive by the way. Bravo HD jeez unless it's Cirque de Soleil or the Olympics I don't watch it, don't really dig obscure classical concerts but others probably do. Monsters is great, if you like Discovery and Travel then you like Equator. If you ever watch the news then HDNews sure is a lot prettier to look at than CNN.

From time to time I watch movies on their exclusives it's not a total waste of time. I find it wierd you hate on Voom but love HDNet because HDNet Movies is Voom Cinema10 all over again.

Also HBO is sucking (IMO) lately with their content, but like all things HBO rotates them a lot. VaVaVoom is the best freaking deal Voom has right now because I ALWAYS have something good to watch in HD.

I haven't turned on my DVD since March when I got Voom. Actually only once, to laugh/cry at Lord of the Rings, it was on Encore in HD and I compared it standard DVD how freaking sad. I can't wait for HD-DVD (not sure I'll even invest in it right away since I have Voom).

rcmojo it's too bad you can save a little money for sticking with Voom right now. Also I hope TWC doesnt make you buy the boxes up front or sign contracts or something so you can switch back if things get better. I mean VOom's DVR is probably right around the corner. I mean fall time is a busier time for broadcasting, new shows, sports that start up (NFL NBA NHL), holiday shopping.. heh

Dumping Voom...

Does Voom have the Best HD PQ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts