South Florida Voom Zone!!!

Yes...I was expecting just a plain ole'HD box but got a kick a$$ unit, I think!

The installer was positive that the DVR funtion wasn't enabled on it but it is.
Dual Tuner HD DVR...what we were supposed to get from Voom eventually!!!

truqui said:
Yes...I was expecting just a plain ole'HD box but got a kick a$$ unit, I think!

The installer was positive that the DVR funtion wasn't enabled on it but it is.
Dual Tuner HD DVR...what we were supposed to get from Voom eventually!!!
Very cool I hope I get that if not they will be coming back.

Doesn't having a dual tuner make missing Voom a little easier? In my case, I would say yes. I can get a sample of the Voom stuff at INHD1 and INHD2, plus I think those of you on Adelphia also get HDNET.

I noticed I watch the SD Tivo less and less, and teh HD DVR more and more. :D

BTW, thanks for the Adelphia info. I have two friends that have had a hard time setting up an install with them.

Well....I have my install on Tuesday afternoon....funny thing the Adelphia csr never mentioned that the dvr was or was not working....funny...I guess it depends on WHO ya speak to at Adelphia.....anyway...wish me luck fellow Adelphians....

I'm not that happy any more...!!!

Well i got home and played with the HD DVR a while. I don't think this unit is completely active... :mad:

If I record one channel, I'm supposed to be able to watch another, right?
Well if try to change the channel, it tells me that the recording will be stopped...!!! I press the "swap" button which should let me change to another channel and nothing happens...!!!

This is a DCT6412 unit which is suppose to have two tuners, what gives?

Skakusha, does your unit have the "scroll' bar like the Tivo?
Mine doesn't show it...it just brings up a little window with PAUSE, FF, REW, LIVE when I press the keys. It does record and in HD very, very well but for some reason I think either the dual tuner is not active or I have another issue.

FOr the Dual Tuner to work (if it's active) do I have to have to outputs connected...to different inputs on my TV?
Maybe it's a software/firmware issue?

Help please...I don't want to call Adelphia yet because "they didn't have a DVR for me in the first place"...

truqui....I just had my cable hooked up.The HD is very good....I thought it would look worse but I like it.One question for you or any other people....The HD DVR how many GB's does it have....how much HD and SD will it hold? Thanks....Oh I was palying with the DVR and recorded some Discovery HD and the playback looked identical....This DVR thing is awesome.

GaryZ06 said:
truqui....I just had my cable hooked up.The HD is very good....I thought it would look worse but I like it.One question for you or any other people....The HD DVR how many GB's does it have....how much HD and SD will it hold? Thanks....Oh I was palying with the DVR and recorded some Discovery HD and the playback looked identical....This DVR thing is awesome.

Great Gary, so you also got an HD DVR...I thought mine was an error from the installer or something.

FYI my problem with the DVR is that Adelphia doesn't have service in my area yet for the Dual Tuner DVR...actually any DVR for that matter. I spoke last night to tech support and that's what I was told. I actually had a little dispute because he said I was confused and that my box was not a DVR. After I convinced him it was he said it was a Combo box which it is but that because DVR service wasn't in my area, he couldn't send any code or software update that would enable the full Dual Tuner funtionality.

I will have to wait until they provide the service. The DVR works as if it were a single tuner HD DVR...

If you have the Motorola DCT 6412 it should be 120GB and yes the HD recordings look as good as original. I sort of got spoiled with Tivo and although it's not HD, works so much better than this DVR in terms of features and ease of use...

Do both tuners work on your setup???

Yes they are not set up for dual capability yet but I am happy with the single capabilty right now.No only one tuner works.They told me once they are set up they will notify us.The HD DVR is a combo price included with the HD box for $7.95.It will be $4.95 a month when they are setup....Now the $4.95 part is for the dual capabilty and the Tivo type actions? That is where I am confused....The $4.95 is for what? Thanks....So 120GB....how many hours on HD is that and how many on SD?...Sorry for the questions but I am new to the DVR thing :D

Actually I was never told I would have to pay anything for the box...!!!
Now I'm confused as well...!!! Are you saying they said $7.95 now and later adding $4.95 to that??? Hmmm, I guess that's your question...

Take a look here...
All the info you need...

truqui said:
Actually I was never told I would have to pay anything for the box...!!!
Now I'm confused as well...!!! Are you saying they said $7.95 now and later adding $4.95 to that??? Hmmm, I guess that's your question...

Take a look here...
All the info you need...
No..No...The $4.95 will be an option for the Tivo type program.

Hmmmm that's a lot more info than what I was able to get with 3 different CSR's...

Were you told this when you called for install or did you call later?

Thanks for the info...I guess I'll see all this on my first bill

On the bright side, we have the equipment in place for when they decide to upgrade it. If it's anything like Tivo I will be very happy...!!! For now I'll keep my Tivo subscription

Motorola Box Info

I called my tech contact at Comcast and he confirmed that Adelphia was behind on the firmware update for the dual tuner activity. He explained that this was once on the Motorola boxes during testing. Once active, "swap" will switch to the unused tuner. Since you have the same boxes as Comcast, I would recommend that you try the commercial skip I posted in the thread to see if it works. I did not get a confirmation if this program code would work for the software version you have, but it is worth the try.

Truqui, I do get a scroll bar like Tivo, however there are no index marks (15 minute increments, etc like Tivo). This is the earlier version of the software, so hopefully you will be upgraded soon. You do not need to use more than one port out of the box. I am using the dual tuner with only one output (component).

How do your analog channels look (below 100)? Do you have plenty of HD channels?

Monthly Fees

If the prices for Adelphia are $7.99 and $4.99, then you guys are either getting a good deal, or discounted since you have one tuner. I paid $4.99 per HD DVR for three months, and then $9.99 monthly thereafter.

Hi Skakusha...Thanks for the information!
That's just unfair... !protest having dual tuners but only being able to use one...!!! Oh well, I wasn't expecting any HD DVR for now, so I'll :shh

Fortunately I still am getting OTA through Voom box so I can program HD recordings on the Adelphia DVR and watch OTA on Voom or recordings from the Tivo. If Voom comes and gets it's stuff or kills the OTA altogether, I'll have to split the cable from the wall to the cable box so I can continue to record and watch something else...even if it is SD...

I will try to program the remote using your codes and post back.
BTW I found these as well:

The procedure to program Swap on the Comcast DVR Remote:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00236 (for Swap).
6) Press whatever button you want to map the Swap function to.

The procedure to program 30 second Skip on the Comcast DVR Remote:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip).
6) Press whatever button you want to map the Skip function to.

The procedure to program Mute on the Comcast DVR Remote:

5) Type in the code 00141 (for Mute).
6) Press whatever button you want to map the Mute function to.

Analog channels look pretty disgusting to say the least...but fortunately I only watch those on a direct view 32" in my bedroom way after watching all the HD and/or Digital channels on my big screen.

HD Channels are 12 total, but look very, very good:
CBS WFOR 4
NBC WTVJ6
Fox WSVN 7
HBO HD (1)
Showtime HD (1)
Starz HD (1)
HDNet
HDNet Movies
InHD 1
InHD 2
ESPN HD
Discovery HD

ABC WPLG 10 is on the guide but does not come in yet. It says "soon" so I imagine they are working on getting it on.

I am really impressed with the DVR recordings of HD...wow it's as good as the original, maybe marginally less PQ but not at all noticeable...!!!

GaryZ06 said:
Yes they are not set up for dual capability yet but I am happy with the single capabilty right now.No only one tuner works.They told me once they are set up they will notify us.The HD DVR is a combo price included with the HD box for $7.95.It will be $4.95 a month when they are setup....Now the $4.95 part is for the dual capabilty and the Tivo type actions? That is where I am confused....The $4.95 is for what? Thanks....So 120GB....how many hours on HD is that and how many on SD?...Sorry for the questions but I am new to the DVR thing :D

120gb is about 20 hours of HD recording OR about 50 hours of SD recording and any combination thereof.

lombana said:
120gb is about 20 hours of HD recording OR about 50 hours of SD recording and any combination thereof.

It depends on the source. Each HD channel has different compression rates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts