spectrum(charter) new guide is here! very happy!

tiemyshew

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
waupun,wi
I signed back up to add tv to my internet from spectrum(charter). surprise surprise i have the new guide. Very happy with the new guide! Main reason i use to hate charters tv was the old ancent guide.

Reactions: Jhon69
The last time I talked to a friend of mine (about a month and a half ago), who is a manager at Time Warner here in the Rochester service area, he read me word for word an internal memo he received about employee testing of the World Box in my area. It was slated to begin next week, the first week of May. I haven't talked to him since to see if that is still on. The World Box would be running ODN Navigator in Legacy TWC areas and the test was to coincide with the rollout of ODN 8.0, which was supposed to be loaded last night, but it wasn't.

I signed back up to add tv to my internet from spectrum(charter). surprise surprise i have the new guide. Very happy with the new guide! Main reason i use to hate charters tv was the old ancent guide.

Care to share some pics of the new guide?

Nice, that really looks neat and sweet, almost like the PS Vue guide.
Glad they finally made a good guide, no more 90s tv guide lol.

The last thing they really need to do is release their new DVRs soon with more tuners...thats all they are missing, otherwise I'd switch to charter for my TV needs.

If you need more tuners then you should have the option to buy a Tivo Bolt/w 4 tuners or Tivo Bolt +/w 6 tuners and rent a Multi Stream cable card from Charter Spectrum cable,you would still have to pay the Tivo fee.
I know this option is available in my area with Charter Spectrum cable.I have not done this myself because Tivo only has a 30 minute live buffer,where my Motorola/Arris box has a 1 hour live buffer.

If you need more tuners then you should have the option to buy a Tivo Bolt/w 4 tuners or Tivo Bolt +/w 6 tuners and rent a Multi Stream cable card from Charter Spectrum cable,you would still have to pay the Tivo fee.
I know this option is available in my area with Charter Spectrum cable.I have not done this myself because Tivo only has a 30 minute live buffer,where my Motorola/Arris box has a 1 hour live buffer.

TiVo is nice and all but not a fan of the upfront cost and monthly charges.

Reactions: andy_horton
TiVo is nice and all but not a fan of the upfront cost and monthly charges.

How much do you pay for a cable whole-home DVR? In my area, it was cheaper to get it from Tivo than from TWC. Not sure if that has changed since Charter took over, but I doubt it.

The monthly costs with Tivo are much cheaper than Charter. Charter for 4 rooms: DVR fee $20 and four boxes at $7 each = $28. Total cost $48. Tivo for four rooms: Cable card $2 and $15 monthly fee. Total cost $17. This saves $31 per month. Over three years the $1,116 savings are more than the upfront costs of a 6 tuner four room Tivo system.

Reactions: primestar31
The last time I talked to a friend of mine (about a month and a half ago), who is a manager at Time Warner here in the Rochester service area, he read me word for word an internal memo he received about employee testing of the World Box in my area. It was slated to begin next week, the first week of May. I haven't talked to him since to see if that is still on. The World Box would be running ODN Navigator in Legacy TWC areas and the test was to coincide with the rollout of ODN 8.0, which was supposed to be loaded last night, but it wasn't.

Yes you would think if the World Box is vapor ware the Charter Spectrum cable CSRs would not be talking about it,but they are,in fact I talked to a CSR that was in Massachusettes and she told me they were testing it in the St. Louis market,and that
it had 27 tuners and they had it recording off 10 tuners at one time so far and it should be coming out around the end of 2017.

I also talked to a Charter Spectrum cable technican today he also confirmed that the World Box was coming out,he also said in our area our internet which is 60MB down/4MB up now would be getting a courtesy bump up to 100MB in the near future.
He stated a courtesy bump would mean we would not be charged any more money than what we pay now,but if I wanted 100MB now they charge extra for that speed now and they plan to offer even faster speeds in the future.After having AT&T DSL and not receiving the internet speeds I was paying for,
Charter Spectrum cable internet gives me higher speeds than I pay for,so I am very happy with my cable
internet.
I also have their Charter Spectrum cable Gold HD package,their boxes upscale the HD picture to 1080p/60 and they offer more HD channels than satellite,plus no rain fade,or channels disappearing be cause of the summer solstice,or winter solstice.

Last edited:
I also have their Charter Spectrum cable Gold HD package,their boxes upscale the HD picture to 1080p/60 and they offer more HD channels than satellite,plus no rain fade,or channels disappearing be cause of the summer solstice,or winter solstice.

I found that, while TWC (now Charter) may have had more HD channels than Dish or Directv, the picture quality suffered greatly, at least in my area. Also, the signal went out just as much, if not more, than satellite rain fade. YMMV of course.

I found that, while TWC (now Charter) may have had more HD channels than Dish or Directv, the picture quality suffered greatly, at least in my area. Also, the signal went out just as much, if not more, than satellite rain fade. YMMV of course.

Maybe the difference might be I have a 4K UHDTV and it takes the 1080p/60 picture from the cable box and upscales it to 4K,hopefully when you have these problems you contact your cable company to fix those problems because those should not be happening on the cable system.

Maybe the difference might be I have a 4K UHDTV and it takes the 1080p/60 picture from the cable box and upscales it to 4K,hopefully when you have these problems you contact your cable company to fix those problems because those should not be happening on the cable system.

I think it depends on where you live more than anything. I had a high end Plasma, which still looked better than the best non-OLED TVs of today at the time, and it was clearly an inferior picture from TWC. I have a high-end 4K Sony LED set now, and I doubt that would make the garbage signal from TWC/Spectrum look any better. They practice bit-starvation just as bad or worse than Dish, but with the added benefit of doing it with MPEG2, which handles it worse than MPEG4. I know others have said their cable signals looks the best, and when TWC first started offering HD, that was the case, but, at least in my market, that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for some time.

There is no "World Box". It's vaporware, and they'll never bring it out.

It’s been a hectic past handful of weeks, and I haven’t been on this site much otherwise I would have posted this sooner. The WorldBox is most definitely not vaporware. I’ve had one for about 3 weeks now. I traded in my two tuner Cisco 8742 for it. I wanted to get a feel for the box, so even though my Cisco 9865 has six tuners and the WorldBox only has four, I moved the World Box to the main TV so I’d use it more. Since I’m former TWC, as expected, it is running ODN Navigator 8.0.0_23, not the software seen in the links above, and what legacy Charter subscribers see.

Overall it’s a nice box and runs Navigator exceptionally well. On reboot, it still does lose my Dolby Digital audio settings, like the Cisco 9865 does, which is a little annoying. Also while the video does look a little brighter to me, there is a hint of black crush. Not as bad as the Arris Enhanced DVR I had, but it's noticeable. The update to ODN 8 on the Cisco 9565 slowed down my box quite a bit when in the DVR management screens, the World Box is lightning fast, I experience no slow downs when re-prioritizing or deleting series. And I've been doing a lot of that lately. I record 60+ series, I wish there was a way to have them tied to the account, instead of the box.

I have the Spectrum 201-T, which is manufactured by Technicolor, the company Cisco sold their STB business to. Humax is the other OEM for the World Box 1.1. So far being down to 4 tuners hasn't been an issue. I'm thinking it may be once hockey season starts back up. I do also miss the clock on the front display. Not sure why the got rid of it.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    266.8 KB · Views: 3,129
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6,138
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,322
Reactions: IcEWoLF and Jhon69
It’s been a hectic past handful of weeks, and I haven’t been on this site much otherwise I would have posted this sooner. The WorldBox is most definitely not vaporware. I’ve had one for about 3 weeks now. I traded in my two tuner Cisco 8742 for it. I wanted to get a feel for the box, so even though my Cisco 9865 has six tuners and the WorldBox only has four, I moved the World Box to the main TV so I’d use it more. Since I’m former TWC, as expected, it is running ODN Navigator 8.0.0_23, not the software seen in the links above, and what legacy Charter subscribers see.

Overall it’s a nice box and runs Navigator exceptionally well. On reboot, it still does lose my Dolby Digital audio settings, like the Cisco 9865 does, which is a little annoying. Also while the video does look a little brighter to me, there is a hint of black crush. Not as bad as the Arris Enhanced DVR I had, but it's noticeable. The update to ODN 8 on the Cisco 9565 slowed down my box quite a bit when in the DVR management screens, the World Box is lightning fast, I experience no slow downs when re-prioritizing or deleting series. And I've been doing a lot of that lately. I record 60+ series, I wish there was a way to have them tied to the account, instead of the box.

I have the Spectrum 201-T, which is manufactured by Technicolor, the company Cisco sold their STB business to. Humax is the other OEM for the World Box 1.1. So far being down to 4 tuners hasn't been an issue. I'm thinking it may be once hockey season starts back up. I do also miss the clock on the front display. Not sure why the got rid of it.

Ok, I stand corrected. Charter/Spectrum finally came through on their decade long promise. It's gotta be better than the Motorola dvrs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)