Splitting My Voom Off Air Antenna?

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
I have Voom installed with a Senar off air antenna powered by a Winegard diplexer.

Is it possible to split the OA Antenna to a HD Card in my HTPC?

Thanks

Brian

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, you can split the OTA signal. You just need to be careful how you do that.
There are three things carried by one cable in you diplexed configuration: OTA signal, satellite signal and DC voltage to power LNB and antenna pre-amp. The bottom line is that the signal passed to your HD Card should only carry the OTA component and nothing else. For example, the diplexer (at your equipment side) achieves exactly that: it separates the OTA signal from the satellite signal and it blocks the DC voltage to the OTA connection. So, if you you use a standalone diplexer (not attached to the back of the STB) you can easily split its OTA output.

Thanks for the reply but I'm a little confused.. Maybe I used the wrong terminology. There is something called a Winegard sat/uhf combiner. It connects to a single output on the VOOM dish. On the imputs are the SAT and UHF antenna. The connection where the UHF is says it's 12v out, I'm pretty sure it's sending current to the antenna as well?

Yes...the antenna is an amplified antenna, and get's it's voltage from the VOOM box, I believe.

Lob

Ilya said:
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, you can split the OTA signal. You just need to be careful how you do that.
There are three things carried by one cable in you diplexed configuration: OTA signal, satellite signal and DC voltage to power LNB and antenna pre-amp. The bottom line is that the signal passed to your HD Card should only carry the OTA component and nothing else. For example, the diplexer (at your equipment side) achieves exactly that: it separates the OTA signal from the satellite signal and it blocks the DC voltage to the OTA connection. So, if you you use a standalone diplexer (not attached to the back of the STB) you can easily split its OTA output.
Well mine is connected to the back of the STB so what other options do I have?

Brian

Can I run the Winegard antenna directly into my tuner on my HDTV set. Somewhere I read that I might need a power kit from Rat Shack, but I don't know what that is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts