Splitting TV 2 Signal

J.460

Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
California
Happy New Year :wave. I've got one Dish Network receiver and two TV's hooked up to the receiver. TV1 is hooked into the receiver on the TV1 port by three RCA connectors (one yellow, one white and one red) and TV 2 has a Coaxial cable running to it in the master bedroom on the other end of the house. I have a third TV in the bedroom next to the master bedroom and wanted to be able to watch TV on it so this idea came to me :eureka. I thought I could split the TV 2 Signal coming from the receiver to the TV in the Master bedroom and the TV in the bedroom next to the master bedroom. I went into the attic and found the cable running to TV 2. I cut the coaxial cable and installed two F connectors which grab the outter rubber on the cable. I found an RCA Digitial Technology Two Way splitter in the house and hooked the TV2 line coming out of the dish receiver into the input of the splitter and then hooked the existing TV2 cable in one output of the splitter. I went to Radio shack and bought 25ft of Coaxial Cable and hooked that cable up to the other output of the two way splitter and ran that cable to the room with the third TV. The room already had a cable running from the wall into the attic so I bought a F connector coupler so I could connect the exisitng Cable to the new cable I bought from Radio Shack. Now TV2 that had originally been hooked up to the receiver has a fuzzy picture on the same channel it was originally on CH.60 and the new TV has no signal on any channel on channels 21-69. On the receiver were the TV2 cable attaches it indicates TV2, channels 21-69. So is doing what I want even possible :confused:. I want to split the TV2 signal to 2 TV"S. I will be watching the same signal from the TV2 signal coming from the Dish receiver on the two TV's that are in seperate rooms right? I hope I didn't make this too hard to understand.

Sincerely and Happy New Year,
John

It sounds like you have it wired right, and yes this will work fine. Both TVs will need to be on channel 60 at all times since that's what your TV2 modulator is set to. Make sure the new TV you hooked up is set to cable and not antenna, otherwise it will try to tune UHF channel 60 and not VHF channel 60. Since you have a noisy picture on the previously working TV, you either have a bad connection or a bad splitter. Splitters do go bad sometimes and will cause this, but it's probably the new connectors you put on. Try connecting the original TV to the receiver again by using a F connector coupler where you have the splitter now. If it still has static, then you messed up your crimp when putting the new F connectors onto the cable. If the picture is clear, then the splitter is bad. Do the same with the new TV as well, then install the splitter after you know both sets are working properly.

It sounds like you have it wired right, and yes this will work fine. Both TVs will need to be on channel 60 at all times since that's what your TV2 modulator is set to. Make sure the new TV you hooked up is set to cable and not antenna, otherwise it will try to tune UHF channel 60 and not VHF channel 60. Since you have a noisy picture on the previously working TV, you either have a bad connection or a bad splitter. Splitters do go bad sometimes and will cause this, but it's probably the new connectors you put on. Try connecting the original TV to the receiver again by using a F connector coupler where you have the splitter now. If it still has static, then you messed up your crimp when putting the new F connectors onto the cable. If the picture is clear, then the splitter is bad. Do the same with the new TV as well, then install the splitter after you know both sets are working properly.

Well I did use Twist-on TV Coax F Connectors is this a bad idea? On the back of a new Radio Shack bag of a Twist-On TV Coax F Connector it indicates, "Note: This connector is intended for use on standard antenna systems only. Do not use on cable TV, satellite or transmitter systems. For Cable TV, satellite or transmitter systems use crimp-on or solder-type connectors, available at Radio Shack."

There also is a picture of how to strip back the cable which I did not do. I just cut the cable then stripped both the braid and plastic back evenly away from the copper wire. Did I not do the right thing? Who knows how many twist on F connectors there are on the cable lines in my house. Are Twist on F connectors a bad thing to use indoors or an attic? And should I investigate the Cable coming from the Satellite for bad twist-on connections. The TV that is now in the guest bedroom used to be in the front room and had a good clear picture when it was in the front room but it was connected to the receiver by RCA cables. I got a Big Screen TV so the TV that was in the front room went into the guest bedroom and the big screen is now in the front room. I would think the cable that goes from the dish to the receiver is good because of the good picture out of the receiver. So tomorrow I will hook up an F connector coupler and bypass the two-way splitter I have in the attic to the TV in the Master Bedroom and see if the picture improves. Then I will unhook the Master Bedroom TV coupling and hook the coupler to the line going to the Guest Bedroom and see if I get a signal at all. I should expect a crystal clear picture right?

Tonight I went to Radio Shack and bought a 75-OHM 2-Way Satellite Splitter, a In-Line Satellite Amplifier, three gold twist-on TV Coax F Connectors and a TV Coaxial Cable Coupler. So I'm thinking I may have bought the wrong type of connectors according to Radio Shacks bag :confused:. I was not sure about the amplifier but got it just in case. Thanks for the reply.

Sincerely,
John

Twist-on F connectors are prone to make bad connections by cutting the braid or folding the braid inside and shorting it to the core wire--improperly dressed. They are usually only made for RG-59.

RG-59 can only be used for short runs (2 to 6 feet) of VHF/UHF signal. All satellite (LNB-to-receiver) cables must be RG-6. Both are 75-ohm cables. (RG-6 has a foam insulator and thicker core to keep the 75 ohms. It is slightly fatter the RG-59 and works to much higher frequencies and longer distances.) Very long runs require RG-11 or its foam equivalent for less DC drop but they are 1/2" or thicker. It is best if you can find the proper length prepared cable because they are likely to have reinforcement to the connector that a screw-on will not have.

I have 2 722 receivers and have used a 4-way multiplex to join receivers with ch 60 and 62 (over the air) on one, 64 and 66 on the other, my antenna, and DVD player ch 3. The output was fed to an 4-way 10dB amp (not a 10 dB amp and then split) to feed the receivers for pass-thru, the TV, and some remote TVs. There is some potential output into the antenna but with no near neighbors, it is not a problem. All this does require good fittings to keep signal loss, crosstalk, and radiation down. Cable ch 60 is a lower frequency than the same OTA and would likely interfere with some OTA signals. There are few OTA/UHF signals above ch 60 and none above 69 until they are claimed by new wireless services AFAIK.

You should be using TV1's HDMI or RGB+RW for a high-def TV, if you have one, else it isn't HD or did I miss something.
-Ken

Twist on connectors are the devil. Do yourself a HUGE favor and learn how to use compression couplings. You can pick them up along with a tool for very little money at stores like Harbor Freight and probably even Home Depot. In fact, the compression tool and fittings are not much more than the crimp-on materials. Harbor Freight has the tool along with 6 fittings for $18.00. You can buy additional fittings for $6.00 per 12 pack.

http://www.harborfreight.com/coaxial-cable-compression-tool-95862.html

Radio Shack is the most expensive place in the world to buy materials. Now, you said in you original post that the master bedroom TV worked perfectly before, but now has static after you cut the cable, right? I'm also going to assume that your feed from the dish to your sat receiver is RG6 and has compression couplings, as it probably wouldn't work at all if it wasn't done properly.

The only wire you should be messing with is the one connected to the TV2 port on the satellite receiver. That port sends out a VHF modulated signal. This is the same signal you would get from a cable TV connection or an antenna. If this home is relatively new, it's likely RG6, but may be RG59 - possibly even RG58. You will be able to send this type of signal down any of those types of cable as your run is likely short, but RG59 or RG6 would be best. If you have RG58 (unlikely), you would be better to replace it with RG6. You have to know what type of cable you have to get the right connectors as they are all different. There is no "universal" fitting for the three cable sizes. The cable will have markings down the side that indicate which type it is.

It is absolutely critical that you strip and prepare the cable end properly before attaching the new F connector. If you did not strip it correctly or didn't attach the connector properly, it simply will not work. PLEASE do not use the twist on type connectors on anything. Even if you pick up some of the cheap crimp style connectors and a crimping tool at Radio Shack, that would be better than twist-ons. If you do that, have a look at this for instructions on how to strip and crimp your cable:

How to Connect Coaxial Cable Connectors - wikiHow

NEVER use these on a feed from the dish to the satellite. Always use good quality RG6 cable and compression fittings for this. To just feed a modulated TV signal though, those crimp on connectors should work for your simple setup. Also, it sounds like you have some stuff you probably don't need unless you're going to use multiple modulators and multiplex several signals like the gentleman above. You only need the splitter and a couple of couplers for testing purposes. What you are trying to do is very simple and will come together quickly once you get those new fittings installed correctly.

Once you get those connections right, your picture on those two sets will be clear with no static at all. If you see any noise in the picture, then you still have a bad connection somewhere.

Last edited:
The house was made in the early 80's so I am not sure what type of coaxial cable I have. The Cable that I cut in the attic has strings of foil under the plastic. I'm almost thinking of just running new RG-6 cable from the receiver to the splitter and new cable to both TV's. But I don't know.

Why don't you check what kind of cable you have first? There is probably nothing wrong with the cable. Did you look at the instructional link I posted above? Watch the video and it will explain what is inside the coax and how to put an end on.

There is RG59 coming out of the receiver which then couples to another cable which I have been scraping white paint off to try and find a number on the cable. Is it not a good idea to have different cables hooked together? I have RG59 then a coupler to I don't know yet which goes to the two-way splitter. Then there is RG6 which runs to another coupler which couples into a cable that runs in the guest bedroom. So is having a mixture of different cable types cause picture noise? Or is it not an issue?

I'm still trying to figure out what type of cable I have going into the attic. I have been using a pocket knife to scrape off wall paint that is on the cable. I haven't found any writing yet on the cable which is a pain.

If it's that painted then you're going to have trouble getting a fitting on it anyways. Piecing together cables is never the optimal solution as every connection is just another possible point of failure, not to mention another spot where you lose some signal. It is always best to have the same cable "home run" from point A to point B without any breaks. If it's not too tough, you will fare much better running new RG-6. This will also set you up for later if you do ever want to add a second satellite receiver to that location for some reason, as that signal will not run across RG59. The painted stuff going to the attic sounds pretty rough, and RG59 is certainly not the preferred cable type for any signal.

In short, you could probably make it all work by piecing it together, but you will have a much easier time and get better results by puling new RG6.

If the diameter of the cable is 1/4 inch or more, it is probably RG-6, anything smaller (3/16) is probably RG-59.

Please buy some bulk RG6 from lowes or home depot or your local dish/direct/cable truck sitting somewhere and not anything they try to throw at you at radio shack. Nothing but problems come from radio shack...atleast in the CATV industry it seems. Also, compression fittings are the only thing i would recommend using...everything else is bad news. All ya should need is some RG6, RG6 fittings, and a 2-way splitter. No fancy splitter needed...nothing that says monster on it or digital, or gold plated or digital cable/satellite or all ports pass power...just a standard ole 54-1000Mhz splitter. Usually I would never say this but even those cheap gold plated ones they sell would work...channel 60 isn't too high up on the frequency chart. That being said, all of that stuff could probably be had for free by asking a service tech next time ya see one for any cable or satellite co. Good luck

Thanks For The replies. What tools do I need to buy to use compression fittings? My plan is to run new RG6 from the receiver to the splitter in the attic, and from the splitter I will run new RG6 to the guest room. From the receiver to the splitter I'm going to need around 15 feet of RG6 and from the splitter to the guest room I will need around 35 feet. Then from the splitter to the master bedroom I will need around 40 feet of RG6. Does Home Depot have a good price on bulk cable?

I already left you a link to the compression tool and fittings several posts ago. Home Depot will work fine for RG6 as they sell it in bulk by the foot, and will likely have the compression tool and fittings, too. I buy it in 1000' spools, but you can get them to cut you however much you need. Get several extra fittings and several extra feet of cable, that way you can sit comfortably and practice putting on compression fittings without doing it in the attic first. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)