Starguide III Receiver Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Crazy Jimmy

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
I have two starguide III receivers that were gifted to me while working at an local AM station. I need to know how to get these up and running to check to see if they can receive anything. I do not know where to go looking for a dish or any type of related breakout cables to get this to an XLR. If someone can assist me with a direction to take to get these two receivers online with audio coming to them.

Welcome to the forum!!
I know nothing about this receiver, except a quick Google Search that it is for ABC News affiliates.
Maybe someone will come along that knows more.

:welcomeDJ Crazy Jimmy! After doing a little research is looks like these were in use about 15 years ago and were being phased out back then for newer technology. Most signals were supposed to come from 139W and required a 12' commercial grade antenna at a minimum. Only a handful of signals were in the clear back then, with the rest requiring authorization before access is granted. ("If a receiver is not owned by the station, a written approval must be given from the owner of the receiver before it can be authorized"). Since in the FTA hobby, we DO NOT contact stations, uplink facilities, etc. for any reason so as to not "rock the boat", authorization will likely not be possible. Don't know if any signals are still ITC on 139W or other sats but here is a link to a manual for these units if you want to experiment. Hope it helps. Good luck! http://engineering.premiereradio.com/files/starguide/Starguide-Receiver_Manual.pdf

Other posts are correct. Old technology and no longer in use.

The audio services on 139w do not require special receivers. They can be received with any DVBS MPEG2 STB or IRD.

If you are looking for a managed content receiver, contact the broadcaster of the service(s) that you wish to subscribe to and they will provide the compliant IRD. If you wish to only listen and not distribute these audio services, any DVBS receiver will work.

For the hobbyist listener, a 7.5' or larger dish with C-band LNBF will provide reliable reception for 139w. You can find these dishes for free for the asking in many neighborhoods or on Craigslist.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)