starting to get Error Code 05 and 04 alot now

ebizlee

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Nashville
The last few days, I have over a 1/2 dozen error codes 05 and 04 (mostly 05) from recorded tv shows. For now, all the recording with these error messages are all after PTAT times (late at night). I can't play these DVR shows and also they won't delete. 1H/2J. Any ideas?
HopperError.JPG

Weird, 63 people viewed this post and no one replied? What does that mean? Does that mean no one knows about or is experiencing these error codes but me? Just curious.

Dish says that error 05 and 04 means that something happened to to disrupt the recording. The weather was fine those nights. I did reset the Hopper. No change. We will track this issue. We didn't get these errors with the 722.

I just got the Hopper Joey this weekend (sat before easter). I had moved recordings from my old 722 to an external HDD. I had been moving and playing recordings from the EHDD to the Hopper just fine the afternoon and evening after the install. But this morning, I noticed a bunch of 04 errors from only a subset of the shows: Daily Show, Colbert Report, Jimmy Fallon and XPlay. Other title seem to be fine: Dr Who, Actors Studio, Simpsons, Kitchen Nightmares, etc. I have not watched all of the other shows yet, but I can view the information about the show just fine when no folders are in use. Without folders, its easy to spot this problem since the specific show details are shown in the upper portion, not a summary of the show.

I had not moved all the shows in one action, but I did attempt to move all episodes of each title at one time (eg: i move all the Daily Shows at once, but Dr. Who moved in a different transfer than the Daily Show) Yet, not all the Jimmy Fallons were corrupt. Weird.

I also tried to schedule a recording over the android app and when I got home, it looked like it was aware that we wanted to record it, but it just did not. Maybe its unrelated - or maybe this is all just more fuel to the "firmware was not ready" argument.

I tried to hard reset and the episodes are still corrupt. I have not had this issue with recordings that originate from the Hopper - just episodes from the previous box that I WAS TRYING TO SAVE SO I COULD WATCH :)

Having said that, I have not set up a lot of timers on the hopper yet - the only thing the hopper has record was SNL and that was after the weird issues. but the recording that we started manually while at home seems to have recorded just fine.

I think this 04 error for me is actually something that cannot be recovered from if I am to believe the % used numbers. When all the shows were transferred from the 722 to the 500GB EHDD, I think the EHDD has about 200 GB available, or used ~300GB. I have only managed to watch a few recordings and now, when I sum up the used/available space on the Hopper and the EHDD, it claims that only about 100GB are used between the two (not that once I observed this 04 error, I stopped transferring shows). Since this show transfer process appears to be a MOVE and not a COPY operation, I can only assume that the recordings are lost. And this error even corrupts the summary of the episode, so if you also on your own to remember what specific episodes were lost.

Now on to try to move over the timers and hope that the hopper lets me enter all of them ....

My hopper has been randomly doing this as well. And locking up a lot more this past week. I have had it since day 1 so hopefully it's just a software issue.

So my situation is far worse than I thought. So much so that my wife wants all the install money back and to find another provider. I cannot say that I disagree since one of the reasons stayed with dish was the promise of an easy transfer from one box to another. If I have to go out on the internet / Netflix / Hulu to watch TV, then why even get a DVR in the first place?

It is much worse because programs that would show the details of the recording in the "no folders" view I had assumed we OK. In retrospect, I should have known better because the % used still says only 11 on the Hopper. The 722 had 7 hours of HD recording time left, so this usage should have been higher. I stared a Dr Who and an Inside the Actors studio. Both initially showed the recording summary, but trying to play resulted in error code 04.

The short story here is that this simply does not work. And when it failed to transfer the data from the EHDD, it should have not removed it from the EHDD. I am often an early adopter but when devices flat out fail there is nothing I can do. I feel that moving to an EHDD and then backing up that EHDD is unreasonable. I will be calling to Dish to see what they plan on doing about this. I like the new abilities of the system, but when it is as inconsistent and damaging as it has been for me in the first 48 hours. What is the point?

At this point, I am fairly confident that the data has been lost. So, I hope the Dish has something planned to appease my wife. I dont like fighting companies, but right now they have us pretty angry.

wow. things have got worse. earlier today I posted about episodes of Daily Show and Colbert Report - some were working and some were not. I am pretty sure that I started each one and only deleted the ones that reported errors. My wife disagrees. In any event, the remaining episodes of The Daily Show and Colbert Report are not also gone.

good times.

It looks like I am experiencing this problem as well. I transferred all of my recordings from my 722k to an EHD before the Hopper install, then transferred everything back to the Hopper. I cannot view any of the recordings that were transferred from the EHD. When we try to playback any of these recordings, the following is displayed:

"A problem was encountered when opening the files for this DVR event. Please note the Error Code: 04."

Is there any hope of recovering these recordings?

believe me - i need to find one. my wife is not happy and I am calling dish tomorrow to see what they offer to help with.

I have been also reading up on the file system and it seems like it uses an EXT3 file system. One of its "benefits" seem to be that deleted files are removed completely. I am working on finding a way to use a MAC to mount and find lost files on the EHD.

My only advice to you would be to remove the EHD from the HOPPER right now. Who knows what else it may want to write, so the less interaction that EHD has, the better.

Hopefully someone can find a Windows/Mac program to recover these files, but it seems like they are gone.

Maybe this is a digital rights thing - but since the side effect is to _COMPLETELY LOSE DATA WITHOUT RECOVERY_, I wish there would have been more QA / testing. Clearly there are issues here that need to be resolved.

My advice to others would be to NOT move the recordings to the HOPPER. Maybe that will work.... alas, it is too late for me to test that.

I saw this twice the other day. First time I watched a program, gave me an error 05, restarted it and then it worked fine. Second time day or so later it looked like it hung "recording" as two programs showed they were still being recorded hours later. Had to delete them or else they hung the DVR trying to view. No other problems since.

-Mike

same EHD stuff happened to me, except mine was doing it on the hopper itself. I transferred from the EHD and tried to transfer back a week later and now all those files are corrupt.

Make sure to report all these bugs to DIRT or the Advanced Tech Support so that they can forward these issues to engineering. More reports, faster fix. Unless you guys want more recordings lost?

For recordings that originate from the HOPPER, I have no ideas. As for recordings that are an EHD - LEAVE THEM THERE - unless someone has an account of where the Hopper corrupted data on the EHD.

Seems like the move from the EHD to the Hopper is a crap shoot right now. Which is weird because you think that USB-based file transfer would have been solved by now. Or at least confirm on the Hopper that you have a proper copy of the data _before_ deleting from the EHD ...

I have been running PhotoRec in an attempt to restore the lost recordings on the EHD, but I am not sure of the file format for the 4 magic files within the Dish+Arc subdirectories - and neither do the PhotoRec people. Since PhotoRec is a signature based algorithm, it needs the format of the files to find them in the "empty space". I am in the middle of a second run with more specific settings. If anyone had any ideas on applications that might be able to recognize these file formats, I am all ears. If I ever get something working I will let everyone know.

Rules of Engagement was another show I moved from my EHD. I started to watch it yesterday and it actually played back without any problems. But I was only into the show about 2 minutes and I had to stop the show because someone was at the door. So I go back to the show this afternoon to finish and I get the error 04 code. Now how come it was working yesterday but not today??

So who exactly are we supposed to be reporting these bugs to?

So who exactly are we supposed to be reporting these bugs to?
DIRT member. Also, advanced tech support via the online chat or on the phone.

any of those three shouldn't be too bad. a private message to a DIRT member might be the easiest. Just message them the bug, account number, and possibly receiver id if it's specific to a certain box.

I have put the EHD through two runs of PhotoRec with no success. I have a third running now where I eliminated TXT matches (400K+ false positives in run #1). After this third run, I need another program or I fear that I have to throw in the towel on recovery.

Anyone know what make/model of hard drive is inside the Hopper? Seems like there is a bug in the driver that is in use. That is the only thing I can think of that would explain this "random" corruption.

Bad news on the data recovery front. The latest run that included just about all types without TXT failed. It found a lot of GPG files of inappropriate sizes. So, unless there is a way to import specific file signatures into PhotoRec - or unless someone gives the name a good data recovery system. I fear that the recordings are lost.

You could always take it to professional data recovery businesses, but if they are anything like the one near where I live, the prices are going to be unreasonable for TV shows that you may be able to get easily on Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, Amazon streaming, etc ...

One good side note: I assumed that all of my Doctor Who episodes were lost. We watched a few from Netflix and Vudu then tried the next one that was on the DVR and that one worked. So, unless you try _every_ one... who knows. It seems like the failures are random.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)