Static IP address required for DishOnline?

mmcl26554

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Northern WV
I just got off the Dish Chat line and was asking about not being able to delete programs I have watched using Dish Online. They told me one of the requirements for DOL was to have a static IP address, and that it was a free option with most ISP? As far as I understand both statements are false. That is, you don't need a static IP address an and they are not a free option.
Does anybody know for certain about this?

A static IP is not needed. In fact, most people wouldn't even know how to set that up. It's definitely not free on my Comcast Internet.

To get a static IP from your Internet provider usually means you have to move to a business tier of service and that's more expensive.

fbara,
You are absolutely correct! But the fool at Dish chat was absolutely wrong. Which brings up another question. Why would a company, like Dish, have such poorly trained support representatives that they give out dead wrong information. Todays microprocessor controlled devices are difficult enough to deal with, the software is bug ridden and poor performing without support becoming another source of malfunction. Certainly gives you the feeling that but for the help one gets from forums such as "SatelliteGuys" we are really on our one to make these things work. And all the companies have to offer is a worn out apology. It seems the only thing they do correctly is repeat the words "I apologize for any inconvenience" and that is suppose fix all problems and make you feel better. REALLY? I am really sick of it.
End of rant!
Michael

Free? Ha! My static IP costs me 3X what a regular residential account costs. Dish should start training their CSRs not to make up nonsense when they really don't know how to solve the problem.

Maybe dish needs to incorporate ddns capability on receivers.....lol. :rolleyes:

Of course Dish could design, build equipment and write firmware that was bug free and made of quality components so they needed little service. Think of the people they could lay off and the number of satisfied, calm customers they would have. The whole think might not only pay for itself but increase customers. That's a refreshing idea!

I just got off the Dish Chat line and was asking about not being able to delete programs I have watched using Dish Online. They told me one of the requirements for DOL was to have a static IP address, and that it was a free option with most ISP? As far as I understand both statements are false. That is, you don't need a static IP address an and they are not a free option.
Does anybody know for certain about this?

Were they talking about a static IP on your WAN or LAN?

While a static IP on your WAN is usually an extra charge and therefore not very common for most residential internet accounts, giving a device a static IP on your LAN is often necessary if port forwarding or other special services are needed. Assigning static, permanent, or a reserved IP is handled by the end user's router. For my SlingBox to stream over the internet requires that I forward all requests to service port 5001 to the SlingBox. The only way to do this automatically everytime the router/and or the Slingbox boots up is to assign it a STATIC IP on my LAN which I do using my router.

Giving the tech support person the benefit of the doubt perhaps something similar is required so you can access your Dish receiver from the WAN.

It doesn't require a static IP, the rep was just wrong. Static IP works with dish equipment and dish online but I believe the reps are told dynamic only because it's more simple to troubleshoot or so the thinking is I believe. I know for a fact that agents are not taught that dishonline.com requires a static IP,so I have no idea why they would say that unless they didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

Sounds like a DIRT response would help clear this up.

That said, I'm pretty anal when it comes to my home LAN so all of my equipment has fixed IP addresses assigned via DHCP reservations on my router. My ViP 722 has the IP address a.b.c.22, my ViP 211 is a.b.c.11, my HP LaserJet CP1518 is a.b.c.18, and so on. Like I said, pretty anal of me!

While a static IP on your WAN is usually an extra charge and therefore not very common for most residential internet accounts, giving a device a static IP on your LAN is often necessary if port forwarding or other special services are needed. Assigning static, permanent, or a reserved IP is handled by the end user's router. For my SlingBox to stream over the internet requires that I forward all requests to service port 5001 to the SlingBox. The only way to do this automatically everytime the router/and or the Slingbox boots up is to assign it a STATIC IP on my LAN which I do using my router.

Giving the tech support person the benefit of the doubt perhaps something similar is required so you can access your Dish receiver from the WAN.

He was most definitely talking about WAN (IP address supplied by the ISP) He even gave me a list of ISP's who supply a static IP address for home use free of charge. One of the ones was my ISP Comcast. I verified with them that home internet service cannot have a static IP address, must be a business account which is much more money. So he was wrong on a lot of fronts.
Michael

Did I miss a step when doing my research? I'm planning on switching to DISH next week, primarily because my wife wants to watch her shows at the cabin when we go there and we have no TV service available. I was under the impression that as long as I had a good upload speed from my home ISP, and internet service at the cabin, that I could then stream content from the NEW Hopper to the cabin. Should I be considering the extra cost of having to purchase a static IP address from my ISP also?

Snoozer you probably want to wait until after 1/17/13 and get the newest version of the Hopper. It will let you transfer programs onto an iPad so you can watch elsewhere- no Internet connection needed.

Yes I see your reference to the new Hopper but be aware you can stream over the Internet with it but you also have the Internet free option.

You don't have to have Internet service at the cabin. Even if you have to buy an iPad you'll likely come out dollars ahead by not paying for Internet service at the cabin.

He was most definitely talking about WAN (IP address supplied by the ISP) He even gave me a list of ISP's who supply a static IP address for home use free of charge. One of the ones was my ISP Comcast. I verified with them that home internet service cannot have a static IP address, must be a business account which is much more money. So he was wrong on a lot of fronts.
Michael

As an experiment to see if you can get it working by putting your receiver in the DMZ and see if you can connect. Little risk to your network by having a media device in the open and not behind a firewall.

Snoozer you probably want to wait until after 1/17/13 and get the newest version of the Hopper. It will let you transfer programs onto an iPad so you can watch elsewhere- no Internet connection needed.

Yes I see your reference to the new Hopper but be aware you can stream over the Internet with it but you also have the Internet free option.

You don't have to have Internet service at the cabin. Even if you have to buy an iPad you'll likely come out dollars ahead by not paying for Internet service at the cabin.

With our limited 4G LTE phone family plan data plan with Verizon, how much more data would we need to purchase in order for her to access programs on the iPad? I would estimate an average monthly viewing total of 40 hours with several months having little or no useage at all. Perhaps it would make more sense to purchase data a la carte or pre paid?

I don't think 4 G is available at the cabin but 3 G is for sure.

With our limited 4G LTE phone family plan data plan with Verizon, how much more data would we need to purchase in order for her to access programs on the iPad? I would estimate an average monthly viewing total of 40 hours with several months having little or no useage at all. Perhaps it would make more sense to purchase data a la carte or pre paid?

I don't think 4 G is available at the cabin but 3 G is for sure.

Sling streaming uses a lot of data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts