Super Joey Upgrades

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have two HWS receivers, six tuners +OTA on one for seven. Originally planned the second one for the extra tuners but when the price goes up after the grace period where we only paid $7/mo. I will then go to plan two which is to decommission the second HWS and replace my current Joey with the super Joey and if my math is correct, will result in a small reduction in overall cost and I will end up with five tuners which I know will be enough for me.

All components at this time are purchased but haven't decided yet whether to buy or lease the SuperJoey. My second HWS will then be available as backup for my primary HWS. Both have been very reliable but, of course, have all the bugs everyone is moaning about in the forums.

The only snag to all of this is that I won't be able to watch two separate programs in my primary viewing area, most often done during college football season as I want to put the SuperJoey in the garage where the current Joey is now. Dang-it. I want the ability to have a Joey and a SuperJoey on my system setup. Is this coming?

You can have a Super Joey and a Joey and a single Hopper on the same system.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Now I'm wondering if you put [strike]a separator[/strike] an isolator between two Hopper series boxes, if you could then put a SJ on one of the Hoppers. Two isolated legs. Prob not supported, but maybe it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Now I'm wondering if you put a separator between two Hopper series boxes, if you could then put a SJ on one of the Hoppers. Two isolated legs. Prob not supported, but maybe it would work.
Did you mean isolators? With two Hoppers, all ports on the LNB are in use so you would have to add a DPP44 switch for the SuperJoey. And one Hopper would be totally isolated from the system.

Did you mean isolators? With two Hoppers, all ports on the LNB are in use so you would have to add a DPP44 switch for the SuperJoey. And one Hopper would be totally isolated from the system.

Yep. Brain burp. Corrected.

Understand about the DPP44. But is there a way of cascading to accomplish it? Not sure we'll know until someone tries it. I remember when 3 and 4 Hoppers were "impossible."

You can have three regular Joeys and a Super Joey on your Hopper system.

Did not mean to imply ONLY one Joey on a SJ system, but I see how it can be read that way.

3 J + 1 SJ? Or 2 J + 1 SJ? For that matter, isn't the limit for Joeys 3 per Hopper?

Did not mean to imply ONLY one Joey on a SJ system, but I see how it can be read that way.

3 J + 1 SJ? Or 2 J + 1 SJ? For that matter, isn't the limit for Joeys 3 per Hopper?

You can have 4 Joeys on 1 Hopper but the customer must purchase the 4th Joey. I think it's preferred to have only 3 per Hopper though.

We have a customer with 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys and they have been having a lot of issues, mostly around 7pm every night. We haven't been able to figure out the problem until today our tech noticed something. Somehow all 4 Joeys linked to the one Hopper. We're thinking that there is just too much going on with the one Hopper and that it's freezing up the system at that hour because too many people are watching TV and recording shows.

An extra Hopper may add 3 tuners to the setup but it's not fully integrated like adding a Super Joey is.

What do you mean by fully integrated? Is this joey wireless? I do not have the hopper/joey system, but I am interested in the system, especially if it is wireless

What do you mean by fully integrated? Is this joey wireless? I do not have the hopper/joey system, but I am interested in the system, especially if it is wireless

Full integration would mean that all tuners from both Hoppers would be accessible from either Hopper. For instance, if I was at my living room Hopper I would be able to see 6 available tuners and when I went into my DVR recordings I would see every show recorded between the 2 Hoppers. This is not the case with 2 Hoppers though.

With 2 Hoppers you are able to access the recordings on another Hopper but you have to switch to it in the menu. When you go to a Hopper's DVR recordings you will only see the list of programs you set to record on that specific Hopper. It all works fine but there are just a few steps to take in order to watch what's on the second Hopper.

When you add the Super Joey to the Hopper you will see 5 tuners all at once and you will see all the shows recorded no matter where you set the timer.

I'm pretty sure it woks with either Hopper model. All materials just mention that a Hopper is required.

edit: someone found the answer while I was typing.

You can have a Super Joey and a Joey and a single Hopper on the same system.
Shucks, I thought I saw a wiring diagram which showed the Super Joey connected to a duo node using the output connector previously used for
a second Hopper. I can't find that diagram so maybe I just imagined it or maybe it was what someone just wrote.

My ultimate goal would be, if cost were not a problem (hah), to have two Hoppers and a Super Joey in the family room with one of the Hoppers unactivated or activated when needed for three separate outputs in that room and a regular Joey in the garage. In addition, one VIP211 in the back room for the occasional viewing there.

I currently have a DPP44 switch and a duo node so it would appear that I have all the necessary hardware to do this. I need to look at the diagrams
posted here again so see if I can do this. It looks like I might need an integrator added to the system somewhere.

I currently have this setup without a Super Joey but not sure exactly what or how the integrator works.

It would appear that I can just follow the diagram which has a mono node feeding one Hopper, one Super Joey and multiple regular Joeys and continue to leave the second Hopper connected to the second Host port.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)