Superbowl 4k

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Best Buy would have to have a Directv 4K set up in order to see it.

Don't go in there and watch the game on one of thier 4k sets and think that it IS 4k.
It may still look phenomenal as most stuff does on the newer sets, but its not 4k unless they have that particular set up.
Don't let them lie to you, ask to see it.

So far, the game is not being shown in 4k.

You would think since they shill for Direct there would be a 4K setup just for the demo channel. They probably have some up converted crap playing through a local media player. I was at Sam's the other day and they had on display a true 70" 4K set. It was showing some boring loop of nature and promos for Sam's and did not stop to check out specs. I really want to see a downlinked feed from sat or a cable of an actual 4K broadcast that has lot's of motion to making the encoders work hard to compress it live and noting any motion artifacts. The sad part is I bought my first HD set around 9 years ago, a 40" 1080p Sony for $2200!. Now that gets you a 65" 4K now, but at least the Sony still looks like the day it was purchased. If the league was not anal about protecting it's affiliates, what a selling point it would be to have the game broadcast in 4K and retail stores having a 4K capable receiver showing the game. Since FOX won't be producing it in 4K, it's a moot point anyway. Next year NBC gets to televise it at the new US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Never been there yet but looking at the NFL games played their this past season, it's a gorgeous stadium and would probably look spectacular in 4K. Come on NBC, let's do it in 2018!.

The Bj's here has the Directv feed on their 4k SUHD w/ HDR Samsung IIRC. It looks pretty good. Nothing earth shattering but good. Nothing like the 4k demo runs they have running at most stores. Good thing is prices are falling like crazy.

If I cared enough I'd go dig through some of the predictions people made in the 4k threads.

At my son's house and he has an LG OLED set, with TWC as the source. Looks good unless you're looking at the turf, then not so good.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

At my son's house and he has an LG OLED set, with TWC as the source. Looks good unless you're looking at the turf, then not so good.

Even the 720P on Fox stinks on the channel I'm watching. Distant camera shots full of artifacts, up close looks good. Even the commercials are grainy on Fox. Channel I'm watching out of Sioux Falls KTTW on Dish.

This is what I see on Fox 720p when it zooms to distant camera halftime show on Dish. No exaggeration its this bad.

Attachments

• SB halftime.JPG
    SB halftime.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 157
Got home and looking at it on my Samsung KS8000 via DIRECTV and it looks much better then the TWC feed.

Reactions: Jimbo
Not sure why your seeing artifacts, I'm not here and thats on my 1080p set.
Pretty sure its the Dish network feeds. ESPN football 720P is just fine but ABC and FOX both look bad out of Sioux Falls, CBS and NBC look much better so feel its the stations rebroadcast that's causing the issue.

NBC already shows notre dame football in 4k so no reason they couldn't show next years Super Bowl in 4k is there?

I don't see how with live feed unless they do national feed and ignore local station commercials. We get network feeds from spot beams so every station would need 4k equipment. Now a rebroadcast feed in 4k I could see possible but I wouldn't be interested after the fact.

Fox had no intention of broadcasting in 4K, but they use the 4K and 8K cameras to get full resolution replay and the 360 degree stuff. Given the economics of Super Bowl ads, I wouldn't hold out much hope for getting a national feed any time soon. Local affiliates do not want to give up that money. *maybe* Fox would do a national feed on DirecTV in 4K for markets where they own the local station, but DirecTV or the NFL would have to pay probably a lot more than they're willing to

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts