Switching from dish to direct tv. How exactly do I go about it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mcfire12

Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
miller city, OH
Maybe i'm overthinking this, but i'm not sure exactly how to go about doing this to avoid a lapse in satellite service? I'll be switching to direct tv pretty much simply because i'm a bengals fan in northwest ohio and i'm sick of having the only available option of watching the browns half the time, and it looks like sunday ticket max is free for the first year. That and my dish bill has creeped up slowly and my equipment is getting slow.

So do I call direct and have them set something up for an install date and cancel my dish service after they have completed the instal? Will they send me a box to ship their equipment and dish back? Just not sure what the best way is to handle it?

Maybe i'm overthinking this, but i'm not sure exactly how to go about doing this to avoid a lapse in satellite service? I'll be switching to direct tv pretty much simply because i'm a bengals fan in northwest ohio and i'm sick of having the only available option of watching the browns half the time, and it looks like sunday ticket max is free for the first year. That and my dish bill has creeped up slowly and my equipment is getting slow.

So do I call direct and have them set something up for an install date and cancel my dish service after they have completed the instal? Will they send me a box to ship their equipment and dish back? Just not sure what the best way is to handle it?
When I switch back to directv had the install scheduled then after installed cancelled dish that same day, they sent me boxes to return the equipment.

Also if you need a referral I will give you one. You will get an additional $100 off your bill for being referred($10 off for 10 months). If you need one or would like one just call their referral number which is 1-855-273-2857 and just mention my account number (pm for account number).
Again this is only if you need one.:)
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and yes. And unlike DirecTV, Dish makes you pay the return shipping and asks for the LNB off the dish.
The do ask for the lnb off the dish, but just say its unsafe or to difficult to get to so you won't have too.

Well that's easy enough i suppose! I'll just tell them if they want it back they can send a tech over to climb the light tower and get it, good idea! So am I on the right track with getting the sunday ticket free, or is there any other promotions I should be aware of, any referral discounts or anything? Any heads up on the new equipment i'll be receiving? Is it worth the $99 to go wireless?

Well that's easy enough i suppose! I'll just tell them if they want it back they can send a tech over to climb the light tower and get it, good idea! So am I on the right track with getting the sunday ticket free, or is there any other promotions I should be aware of, any referral discounts or anything? Any heads up on the new equipment i'll be receiving? Is it worth the $99 to go wireless?
Will have to call to check on current promotions, I would make sure they install an HR44 genie though, I would ask the tech when he calls to verify he has an hr44 on his truck, the HR34 isn't nearly as good. Only go wireless if you think you need to, while it does seem to work perfect its not worth the $99 to me unless their is absolutely no way to get a cable in that particular room or you plan on moving the box from room to room, which is nice if its wireless.

The do ask for the lnb off the dish, but just say its unsafe or to difficult to get to so you won't have too.
Yeah, I've used that excuse too. Luckily, I live not too far from a gigantic Dish distribution center, so I was able to just drop off my old equipment and avoid the shipping charges. They didn't like it, but they accepted my returns. Glad to be rid of them and DirecTV.

not sure about wireless, but its worth it to get a real receiver and forget about the client

the wireless clients are nice for those rooms where a) getting cable would be prohibitively destructive/unsightly or b) get re-arranged a lot. if you only have 1 or 2 TV's, a client and genie is fine. if you tend to have 3+ tv's on at the same time, go genie/client/HD box.

I have my tv in the living room mounted on my wall and I ran all the wires through the wall so I guess that's not moving any time soon. As far as the only other tv I use it's in my garage. Would be nice to take it outside to the patio some times maybe. I have no idea what the genie client and HD box all are?? I just have my main Hopper in my living room now and just a joey in the garage. I'm really going to miss my XM radio I have with Dish. I just want HD channels, music, and sunday ticket!

I have my tv in the living room mounted on my wall and I ran all the wires through the wall so I guess that's not moving any time soon. As far as the only other tv I use it's in my garage. Would be nice to take it outside to the patio some times maybe. I have no idea what the genie client and HD box all are?? I just have my main Hopper in my living room now and just a joey in the garage. I'm really going to miss my XM radio I have with Dish. I just want HD channels, music, and sunday ticket!
The genie and client (mini genie) essentially work the same way as the hopper and whatever the babies are called work. Close to same size as well. With a genie and clients the clients use the tuner from the genie. For each client that is watching TV it subtracts from that 5 available tuners. A separate HD receiver has its own tuner but you would likely have to pay for it.

A couple notes, unless it is old bad cable (which isn't likely if dish used it) or the customer asks I usually just use the same cable running thru the house. You would only be without TV for an hour or two. You could ask the directv tech to remove the old dish. I will usually do so if it is near where I put mine. If it is on the roof I remove everything but the footplate. No guarantees but it won't hurt to ask.

as far as the dish network antenna, i've been told its a liability thing they wont remove them. not hard to get out anyway, a few bolts and the pole comes off the foot. 10 minute job from start to finish.

if you have a pandora account, you can play that through your internet connected D* receivers. as far as moving out to the patio, its probably easier to go with the wireless mini's.

So am I on the right track with getting the sunday ticket free, or is there any other promotions I should be aware of, any referral discounts or anything?

I would wait until D* actually starts promoting the free Sunday Ticket, in their ads, before making the switch. I wouldn't rely on the word of a CSR, unless you get it in writing.

It says on their website front page free sunday ticket. I wen't through most of the online ordering portion and everything looked pretty legit with it?

Yes you get free Sunday Ticket the first year. It is indicated right on the directv.com homepage on the switch and save offer.

Only requirement is to signup with Choice package or higher.

So am I going to lose all of my xm channels that I get with dish right now? Or is there any package that Direct offers so I can keep them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts