Switching from Reg Hopper to Sling / Recordings

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mopar_mudder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Wisconsin
I called dish to upgrade to a Hopper W/ Sling which they said I can do for no charge. But they are telling me that I can't get the recordings off my existing Hopper to the new one. This can't be right can it? I thought you could atleast put them on an external drive an hook to the new Hopper. You would think you could hook the two together and transfer as this has to be a common thing.

All you need to do is to transfer your recordings to an external hard drive. Then when you get your new Hopper with Sling, you can plug that EHD into it and transfer your recordings back or simply play them from the EHD....

Thanks for the reply, that is what I thought but the cust service rep said you couldn't do that. I have the new Hopper coming, I have an external drive but don't know if it is big enough, I have a bigger one but it is powered through the USB port. Will the hopper power the external drive or do I need one with its own power supply?

If you try within the first 72 hours it may not work at all, until after the final updates go through. Also, minimum is 50gb, so if it is between 50gb-2tb, you should be fine. If you run into problems outside of the first 72 hours, just call or chat in and get a hit sent. Should be fine, as long as the account number remains the same.

Is their anything in the Hopper that tells how many Gigs of data their is, so I know how much hard drive space I need?
The Hopper only shows the percentage of the HDD space used (top of My Recordings screen) IIRC, the partition for recordings is 1.2 T (though this might have changed). So, you can do the math from there.

Yes there is. If you go to Menu - EHD then the transfer screen and select the Hopper and then the ehd you will see at the bottom the total and free space.

I stand corrected, but I find that to be inaccurate or confusing at best. Example, my Hopper is only showing 381 GB free of 1.2 T. But, my recordings says drive is only 47% used=564 GB. I would be inclined to trust the latter.

Well I got the new Hopper up and running last night, recordings are transferring from the external drive. When I go into Dishanywhere now it shows no receivers at all? Before everything worked just couldn't watch because I didn't have Sling. Any ideas? I can ping the Hopper and see that it is getting an IP address.

Gotta ya, I will wait and see what happens. One thing that I was really looking for with the Sling was the ability to transfer shows to my Tablet or Lap Top, well both are Windows 8 and I see you can only do this with an I-Pad? Why no Windows love from Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts