Tall tales...

SomeDishGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
In a van, down by the river
I wanted to start this as a new thread, as to not imply anything in any other thread.

General words to the wise, when you encounter someone here, or someplace else, that says they got $XXX off and XXX free, unless you can substantiate it, take it with a grain of salt.

Some customers will call, threaten to cancel, and flat out lie to our agents about what they've been offered before. I've taken plenty of these calls. I guess they hope for poor notes. Had a customer say that a previous loyalty agent had offered $30 per month off for two years. I knew that was impossible, checked the account notes, it was half of that for half of the time they claimed. Have also had customer call and say "My neighbor said he called, and you gave him the Hindi Mega Pack free for 6 months. I have called that bluff, and asked for the person's name and phone number. I cannot give personal info to someone not on the account, so I can NEVER confirm such things, but I did note that it was a flat-out lie, that their friend lied to them (or they lied to me to try to get that offer).

The funniest story was a fella who was accidentally given a credit for $250 to reverse an unreturned equipment charge. But...it was applied to his account, not the account it was supposed to be applied to. This guy was never charged $250 for unreturned equipment. We had found where we accidentally gave him the credit, and reversed it. He called and made up all kinds of nonsense. Told me that he had talked to a loyalty agent, who due to the bad service the customer was getting, was applying a $250 credit to the account. I told him he was wrong, the $250 credit was applied by our automated accounting system, not an individual agent (we can always see who applies any credits or charges to an account). He was livid about it, claiming I was wrong. He had tried the same thing the previous day, and was told he was lying. He was "agent shopping" hoping someone would believe him. I told him no, he would not get that $250 back, it was not his. He spent 45 minutes trying to concoct bigger and bigger stories about why he got the credit. I told him "No matter what you tell me, I have researched this, and the answer is no. We will not give you that $250. Period" He threatened to cancel, I was someone who could process a cancellation, so I started the cancellation procedure with him. I apparently called his bluff, he said he'd think about it. I attached a permanent note about what he was trying to do. Checked that account some time later, he tried one more time, was told no, and gave it up.

So, without casting aspersions on anybody here or elsewhere, take talk of big discounts with a grain of salt.

P.S. the unreturned equipment credit, we had a little issue with those in the spring of 2012 getting applied to the wrong accounts, I took several of those calls. My explanation was that if they went to the ATM to get $20, and it gave them $200, the bank would indeed find it and expect their money back. We do the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)