The Banished Words....do YOU agree?

Here's a couple that annoy me-

1. quintessential People who over use it annoy me and they don't even know they annoy me.
2. Really!
3. OK then...

1 word that has always annoyed me was someone referring to their wife or girl friend as "Ole Lady". If my wife were 95, I still wouldn't use that word to describe her, "bitch", maybe. :D

There are a few phrases or words I have never heard used all year by anyone:

BABY BUMP

WIN THE FUTURE

TRICKERATION

These words must be an East Coast thing, because here in CA I don't recall hearing anyone use them. In fact I've never even heard of Trickeration (yes, I do watch football) or Win The Future

I don't think so. Never heard them used around here, but then my wife keeps telling me I need to get out more.

With most people who keep asking, "ya know? or Ya know what I'm sayin?" fact is, I don't know what the F they're talking about 99% of the time.

"Literally" , not so much the word but how people use it.
Yes! Most people use it when they should be using "figuratively". ("The food was so spicy, the inside of my mouth was literally on fire!") And, when they do use it correctly, it's usually unnecessary. ("He pointed the gun at me. And, it was literally the scariest moment of my life.")

Would of, could of, should of. I hate them.

The correct way to state the above is "would have", "could have", and "should have" or to use the contractions "would've", "could've", and "should've", which is no doubt what people are trying to write by using the above. The difference, of course, is that "would of, "could of", and "should of" make absolutely no sense.

The practice of verbing nouns pre-dates Photoshop, or most other current pop culture. See "The Hacker's Dictionary". Or just see "Xerox".

True but "Photoshoped" is what annoys me. :)

I guess I never favored "Xeroxed" either. It suggests a brand to be used. Maybe its because I had a career in advertising. If I'm going to push a brand name, I want paid for that. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts