The Magicians on SyFy

Interesting. I read most of the first book, but felt like it was a cheap Harry Potter knock-off in terms the school (at least at first). The preview looks interesting, but I am weary of these books to movies/tv shows that end up being completely different.

Well, that was an experience! I had heard from other sources about the 2nd season of "The Magicians" on SyFy so I thought I'd check it out on the SyFy app on AppleTV. No Season One, however, but Netflix to the rescue! I ended up binging all of Season One last night!

Rocky, I kept on thinking to myself that this was "Harry Potter" meets "Divergent", obviously aimed for a much younger audience than us old fogies, but the actors and characters are engaging, plus I like the fancy hand gestures to invoke the spells. They bring up the idea of not-quite-good-enough adepts using Google and chat rooms to research spells which gives it more relevance than the HP stories.

Netflix appears to be the place for this as it deserves an R-rating. I started to watch the start of Season Two on the SyFy app and a lot of the expletive dialog is dropped during watching. It's like we know what they're saying, but Basic Cable can't let us say it here.

It has enough humor to lighten it up a bit, otherwise I wouldn't have enjoyed as much as I did. It isn't much, just little things like the main character's running a Taylor Swift hit through his mind while studying that bugs the Telepath who hates how TS songs get stuck in his head.

It also helps to have a open mind when approaching this series. The subject matter runs the gamut of sexual deviance which probably would disagree with the mainstream. It's germane to the development of the main antagonist, but wow! If you watch "Game of Thrones" then you have seen worse. You expect that from HBO, but it's pretty daring stuff for SyFy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts