Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Continuing on with my FTA summer of fun, I have decided to learn about optical sensors. It looks straight forward enough, but then I started reading about slot switches. OMG there is quite a variety of types. And I'm not sure what I need. So more learning ahead :) :) :) Along with making the optical sensor for the AJAK I also need a DiSEqC Box that can handle optical sensors. Well I don't have one on the shelf so I'm making an adapter. The box on the dish right now is a VBox X in an ASC1 case with a polarity control added. So all I need is an ASC1 optical adaptor and I'm covered. Our friend over in Deutschland has built a nifty adapter with a reed relay. I like the idea of the relay adapter but I rather all the sensor wires terminate in the same place. I will build the adapter to include power and ground at the barrier block. So the first part of the project is to have a working DiSEqC box for an optical sensor and to do that we fabricate. Oh how I love it so ;)

Adapter prototype :) two pieces of fiber board with the circuit sandwiched between.
Adapter 002.JPGAdapter 005.JPGAdapter 016.JPGAdapter 020.JPG

Well this got put on hold. I have too many things breaking down all at once, computers, cars, appliances, and now my main satellite dish is out of service. I think the powered multi-switch crapped out. All in the last few days. I can't keep up it seems. :(

Sorry to hear. Surely things will start to look up.

The dish suffered an attack of weird wonkiness. I have never had to reposition (shift) the VBox, but all of a sudden, out of the blue it's 260 counts (13°) west of where it thought it was. I had a similar experience with an ASC1. It jumped up and moved 20 clicks west without any known provocation a couple of times. The little gremlins are getting more of an irritant and I think it's about time to track this s**t down. They started firing my Star Trek hand phaser the other day too. Got to be some powerful RF running around this room I think. It's probably my battery backup LOL. But I'm starting with a fluorescent light fixture. It needs to be converted to LED.

Starting to make some progress. I should have my computer going this evening. I have a camera full of pictures :) I ventured off into a little side project. While fixing the dish issue and looking over the dead power supply I noticed some parts to play with. So I will be doing some ASC1 tests before changing to the optical sensor. I built an RF filter/choke for the ASC1 sensor circuit and installed it at the mainboard. Bench tests were positive :) I have assembled most of the optical sensor for the AJAK and am working on the reluctor wheel. I decided to try and cram it all in the original sensor housing. The wheel is made from an aerosol can cap. :) The sensor is from an old VonWeise actuator that I converted to reed switch. I wanted to assemble the electrical components and build the sensor myself but I don't want to work with too many unknowns at once. One project at a time I have to keep telling myself.

Reactions: KE4EST
Still working through the loss of my computer, but I have some pictures :)
How to turn a pile of odds and ends into an optical AJAK sensor
FTAfun 019.JPGFTAfun 033.JPGFTAfun 038.JPGFTAfun 040.JPGFTAfun 007.JPGFTAfun 027.JPG

More work on the sensor will be needed to make it fit. I need to gain a 16th to 8th of an inch more clearance inside the sensor housing. But I have a plan :)

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
Very Cool!!
Hope you get your main computer back up soon.

I caught one of my gremlins tonight. Really going beserk tonight. It ran my dish to the west limit switch, a place I never wanted the dish to go for fear of damage. I thought I was really in trouble as the dish wouldn't return. It had snagged a branch on my plum tree and it was holding it from going east. The motor relays in the VBox have been clicking intermittently tonight by themselves. Not good as it turns out to be the power supply for the LNBs is the culprit. :( or at least an accomplice. I'm at a loss to explain this phenomenon. A lose connection on that power supply was causing some real strange stuff. ?? The VBox would not turn on when the receiver was turned on until the power supply to the LNBs had a proper connection...HUH???? The microHD should have activated the VBox LNB or not.

Definitely got to kill this thing. Trying to figure this out, it ran my dish full west again. And it doesn't hit the limit switch, it hits a dish mast support and burns out the thermal fuse in the power supply of the VBox. :( Dang it, I knew I should have set that limit switch. Note to self: procrastination can be costly. Fortunately I have a 10 pak of those thermal fuses on hand and the VBox is connected to a bench test motor and not the dish this time. The more I think about it I'm sure I have a bad fluorescent light fixture. There are 32 items plugged into wall outlets in this room. This might take a while. I wonder if that had anything to do with the demise of my computer?

Through examination and deductive reasoning, I have decided that my big issue yesterday was my modded VBox-X. I think I was having grounding issues with the "F" connector board set up. I used a few extra fittings to get the VBox board in the ASC1 case. I pulled the VBox yesterday to run tests with the ASC1. That's when my problems started. The gen 1 ASC1 needs some more work so it won't miss DiSEqC calls. So I removed that patch job VBox board and reconfigured the "F" connecter board from the "parts ASC1" and installed that. So far no issues spotted in the last three hours. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. :)

MS! Great project. I will use it in the future for continuation of mine. That is what I have already for another H-H motor USALS modification. I ordered those wheels to be manufactured on special machine. And circuit board is from some diseqc motor
P1300959 (Large).JPG

Reactions: Magic Static
Forgot to say... of course I also have some motors to modify (Jaeger 1224 and several AJAX). Something to take care years ahead.

I've seen his project even personally. Our trusty friend Trust on vocation ATM, but I am pretty sure after he is back he will give some input also in this thread.

Reactions: Magic Static
I love to see his project personally ;) I'm from Groningen and haven't been back since I left in 1956. That would be a great trip for me :):):)

I've seen his project even personally. Our trusty friend Trust on vocation ATM, but I am pretty sure after he is back he will give some input also in this thread.
How can I resist such "command" :biggrin
Last saturday I send a Usals modded RM120 to DigiDX (Germany) to change his fixed Fibo into H2H .
Made a curve disc and a ORG switch to make use of the "Go to reference" option .
The original reedswitch and magnet are still present
No room inside for the SG2100 circuitboard and the relay interface , so made a separate unit .
By use of this unit near to the receiver , by pushing its possible the E/W button , to make some steps to E or W for checking the optimum without to go in the menu .
Selecting a other satellite ignores those action .
DigiDX.JPG
RM120-2 usals inside.JPG

Usals interface box.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)