The Walking Dead on AMC

ohioankev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Anyone catch the premiere last night at 10pm EST ? It was pretty sweet. I know it's based off a comic book and I don't really know how true it stayed to the original piece but I felt the series did the zombie genre proud. Can't wait until next week!

I never read the comics but the show is just like all the other zombie movies I've seen. Good special effects, good makeup etc. I can see them only going so far with it . They will have to answer some questions for me to make it real to me though. What lead to the epidemic? Is there any government left to fight it and are they trying to fight it? How long do zombies stay animated before they cease to "live"? I read it will only last 6 weeks for this first season.

I think the cause will not be the issue here but the struggle with emotional and moral issues while trying to survive the Apocalypse. The angst of not being able to kill your "dead" wife, the conflict between friends after one is presumed dead or left for dead will be the drama needed to carry a tired genre through a story arc.

As a huge fan of AMC's Mad Men (c.f. avatar), I really want to like this, especially now that Caprica and other favorite shows keep disappearing. I'm about half-way through the pilot and don't know if I'll keep watching. To me zombies are just inherently silly creatures and a lot of fun can be had with them, like in the relatively recent movies Fido and Zombieland. But this show (at least the first halfhour) is just a bit too serious for my taste. I'm not saying it has to be totally off-the-wall like those two movies. But just a little quip here and there, like with the dead wife: "It took me a moment to realize she had become a Walker because that's pretty much how she looks in the morning anyway." Followed by a tearful chuckle.

OK, I just watched the last half of the pilot and it definitely got better, certainly enough to keep my interest going for another episode or two. Definitely a high-quality production like most of AMC's stuff.

Renewed for an additional 12 episodes

Ok now they better make some additions here. First of all this is supposed to be Atlanta and not one walker in a Georgia Bull dogs shirt?( prefered clothing of at least 40 percent of all ATL zombies)
No one even sounds like they are from Georgia :rolleyes: still like the show though just need to make it more location authentic.

Ok now they better make some additions here. First of all this is supposed to be Atlanta and not one walker in a Georgia Bull dogs shirt?( prefered clothing of at least 40 percent of all ATL zombies)
No one even sounds like they are from Georgia :rolleyes: still like the show though just need to make it more location authentic.
Actually, what I found most unrealistic was the racial mix of the zombies, especailly for the areas of Atlanta that are depicted.

I wrote that off because everyone fled into downtown from the suburbs
Last place I'd go. I'd personally head as far away from the Perimeter as I could. Probably head to Lake Oconee and camp at on one of the smaller islands on it. Though Stone Mountain does have an advantage, as line of site is excellent to defend the top.
worse part about the show is it makes me home sick, loved seeing those ga pines in the first episode

Seems like many tried to leave as well, as the outbound lane was the one full of cars.

Actually, what I found most unrealistic was the racial mix of the zombies, especailly for the areas of Atlanta that are depicted.

I was thinking the exact same thing--especially surprising for an AMC show.

I did go back watch the opening part of the pilot and the two main characters (the sheriff deputies) definitely have a southern accent, although not overly pronounced. I don't know enough about southern accents to tell if it's Georgian or just generically southern, which perhaps the actors slip out of from time to time.

I have watched the first 3 episodes, they are surprisingly good for TV. It is upsetting that they only appear to have initially have done 6 episodes (previews for next week say just 3 episodes left). I hope they do not delay too long for the next set.

thought the ending to season 1 was...... ehhh. I like the show and will watch next season but ending did not have me on the edge of my seat like, say LOST did so many times

thought the ending to season 1 was...... ehhh. I like the show and will watch next season but ending did not have me on the edge of my seat like, say LOST did so many times

It seems like they did not expect it to be as successful as it was. They just went with 6 episodes and I think it caught them off guard. They should have ordered 13 initially to at least have half a season.

dfergie said:
Marathon this Friday starting with Episode 1 (I missed this series so dvr set)...

I enjoyed the series. DVRed it all and then had my own mini marathon last month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts