The Weather Channel and DirecTV Reach Deal!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wouldn't be so sure. I suspect Directv has better lawyers than Weather Nation and they may have included an "out" for Directv, if they chose to use it. I can't just remember how E* ****ed that other, smaller weather channel (can't even remember their name now - nor does it really matter).

I am pretty sure Weathernation will stay. Who knows we might get Accuweather too, and you might see a better weather mix channel coming!...

Meh, TWC is dead to me. I want weather, not sensationalism. As far as I am concerned, I am a Weather Nation follower now. And I am glad Direct TV dictated the terms. Maybe they can get TLC or Discover et al. to actually show programming that was it's core.

Stupid WSJ paywall. :mad:

Use the google trick searching using google "The Weather Channel and DirecTV Reach Deal!" If you come from google you will get in free :)
dtv.jpg

I was wondering why the weather channel was showing actual weather instead of reality programming. Does this mean less reality shows for everyone or just directv?

I was hoping that this time was different , but Directv always caves. I felt like it would just be a matter of time. This is why they never did away with two channels for WeatherNation . Just so they could bring back old reality The good thing is we have a choice with the multiple year deal that was made with WeatherNation and I will continue to watch WeatherNation.

This really Really makes me mad at Directv.

I was hoping that this time was different , but Directv always caves. I felt like it would just be a matter of time. This is why they never did away with two channels for WeatherNation . Just so they could bring back old reality The good thing is we have a choice with the multiple year deal that was made with WeatherNation and I will continue to watch WeatherNation.

This really Really makes me mad at Directv.

Half of the weekday reality programming is gone. The TWC dude apologized to us. We have two weather networks (not to be confused with the Canadian channel...) How did they cave? Why are you mad? They, in my eyes, won... I will probably not watch it much, but WeatherNation is still quite rough around the edges. The Weather Channel is overhype and pop-culturey, but they do have great live severe weather coverage, when they do chose so. IF TWC can return to at least some of their former glory - and with WN there to keep it honest, and the thread of AccuWeather coming, I think it's fair for TWC to be given the chance to prove themselves again.

About The Weather Company: Where the World Gets its Weather Through The Weather Channel, weather.com, Weather Underground, Intellicast.com, and third-party publishing partners, the company provides millions of people every day with the world's best weather forecasts, content and data, connecting with them through television, online, mobile and tablet screens. Through WSI and Weather Central, the company delivers superior professional weather services for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. The Weather Company is owned by a consortium made up of NBCUniversal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit www.weather.com/press.

Does this mean that Intellicast is owned by the same company that TWC is ?

Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest ?
Two doing the same thing .... one much better, but still ...

The weather channel went downhill when landmark communications sold it to nbc

Weather channel also owns wsi and now weather central graphics which was used by weathernation before. They are trying to buy up everything weather wise to end any competition

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Half of the weekday reality programming is gone. The TWC dude apologized to us. We have two weather networks (not to be confused with the Canadian channel...) How did they cave? Why are you mad? They, in my eyes, won... I will probably not watch it much, but WeatherNation is still quite rough around the edges. The Weather Channel is overhype and pop-culturey, but they do have great live severe weather coverage, when they do chose so. IF TWC can return to at least some of their former glory - and with WN there to keep it honest, and the thread of AccuWeather coming, I think it's fair for TWC to be given the chance to prove themselves again.

They paid the Weather Channel . Not what the Weather Channel was asking for , but a smaller amount. So yes, Directv did cave in and give The Weather Channel a little bit of money and the Weather Channel is to cut down on it's unrelated weather programs. I am mad because they gave in to the weather channel although it was a small amount. That doesn't matter. Nope Directv didn't win in my book. We still gonna have reality weather channel. I guess this could be called be the"weather mix" channel ,as we will have weather mixed with reality tv.

They paid the Weather Channel . Not what the Weather Channel was asking for , but a smaller amount. So yes, Directv did cave in and give The Weather Channel a little bit of money and the Weather Channel is to cut down on it's unrelated weather programs. I am mad because they gave in to the weather channel although it was a small amount. That doesn't matter. Nope Directv didn't win in my book. We still gonna have reality weather channel. I guess this must be the weather mix channel as we will have weather mixed with reality tv.

Well, you CAN remove the channel from your guide if you like, no one says you have to watch the channel, as we know, most are not already ...
We still have WN that many are giving a try, and potentially Accuweather coming on board later.

I personally haven't watched TWC in years ...

It would be nice if somehow and I really don't know if it's possible, but to be able to have a True Locals on the whatever for every DMA like the cable co's have.

NO, I don't expect ANY of the weather stations to do this, but it would be nice.

Closest I get to Local weather and doppler is a 5 state slide... thats NOT local.

Last edited:
They paid the Weather Channel . Not what the Weather Channel was asking for , but a smaller amount. So yes, Directv did cave in and give The Weather Channel a little bit of money and the Weather Channel is to cut down on it's unrelated weather programs. I am mad because they gave in to the weather channel although it was a small amount. That doesn't matter. Nope Directv didn't win in my book. We still gonna have reality weather channel. I guess this could be called be the"weather mix" channel ,as we will have weather mixed with reality tv.

Do you have some insider information as to what the monetary side of the deal is? I didn't think so.

I saw this article and how they are fighting over other networks....The Weather Channel comes back to DirecTV, but now with less reality TV

BY Richard Lawler @Rjcc April 8th 2014, at 3:19:00 pm ET 28

After dragging on for months, a standoff between DirecTV and The Weather Channel has ended and the winner is pretty clear. In mid-January TWC went dark on the satellite service and DirecTV started pushing the three people left who don't get their weather info from the internet to another channel, WeatherNation. There hadn't been any movement since, but after news a few days ago that DirecTV signed a multiyear deal with WeatherNation, it appears The Weather Channel finally blinked.

A statement announcing the deal includes an apology to DirecTV and its customers from Weather Company CEO David Kenny, plus a promise to cut TWC's reality TV programming by half on weekdays (Deadliest Space Weather is a real show). Other throw ins include the return of instant local weather and letting DirecTV subscribers stream The Weather Channel's video feed to other devices over the internet no matter where they are. Now that this long national nightmare is over (DirecTV is still duking it out with the Dodgers, PAC-12 and CSN Houston networks), we're hoping they go back and add a line ending TWC's silly new practice of naming winter storms -- that's not a thing, stop it.

For those who are wondering. Weathernation Will NOT be leaving Directv any time soon! DIRECTV is now the only major television provider that has two full-time weather channels for customers to choose from! It gives everyone more options and DirecTV is not going to remove this any time soon. If anything, I am speculating that you may even see a THIRD weather channel coming.. Possibly a revamped weather / news mix channel coming up, especially when D14 launches and programming increases with the new capacity that the new birds are going to give Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts