The Weather Channel and DirecTV Reach Deal!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is a major shift in negotiations. Not only did the channel not get the increase it wanted, but it also changed its format to appease DIRECTV. One can only hope that this is the start of a trend where carrying fees do not just automatically go up every year and the channels drift from their audiences.

Actually it was stated in one of the articles as a small increase, less than a penny but still an increase

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

"DirecTV retreated from its demand for a significant cut to the fees it was paying the Weather Channel, instead agreeing to a slight increase, according to a person familiar with the deal." "As things turned out, DirecTV agreed to a small increase in the fees it pays to the Weather Channel, although the increase will be less than the penny per subscriber a month the channel wanted, one of the people said." It may be less than a penny, but since they don't disclose the actual amount, I'll take it with a grain of salt. Besides, if it really is less than a penny, Jillian's assertion that Directv caved is misplaced.

The weather channel is not in the select package as i am not getting channel 362

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Just what everyone wants. Reality TV, when the weather should be on. Good thing that they kept Weather Nation.

I've checked in three times, hours apart, and never got any weather. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I'm disappointed. I didn't ever want TWC to come back. I will not be adding them to my guide. I'll stick with Weather Nation.

I know there are a lot of haters of TWC out there, and I pretty much gave up on them when they started with all of the reality crap, but when it comes to reporting a major storm they're hard to beat. Especially the field reporting with Jim Cantore, Mike Bettes, and others. The channel itself, from beginning to end, is head and shoulders above Weather Nation. The on-air talent is much more seasoned and polished. One is major league; the other is minor league, IMO.

I'm glad to see them back. I just hope they honor their pledge and stick with what they do best - reporting weather.

This recent suday I was wanting to watch the highway thru hell show, but of course they decided to go national for a damn storm! Isn't there tv stations that would of covered it locally? Anyways No mention at when they would put those back on. At that point I gave up and the weather channel can take a flying leap!

I'm disappointed. I didn't ever want TWC to come back. I will not be adding them to my guide. I'll stick with Weather Nation.

Yeah . I guess that is why it bothered me so much that Directv brought back the Weather Channel. I was hoping it was gone for good , but was brought back. That really disappointed me.

I will stay with WeatherNation .

This recent suday I was wanting to watch the highway thru hell show, but of course they decided to go national for a damn storm! Isn't there tv stations that would of covered it locally? Anyways No mention at when they would put those back on. At that point I gave up and the weather channel can take a flying leap!

This is sarcasm, isn't it?

Oddly enough it isn't, embarassing huh?

Those reality shows are what turned off the majority of people to TWC. So it is odd that you would complain about a weather channel doing what it is supposed to do - report weather. :)

I hope it won't take too long for them to dump their reality lineup. I suppose they may have a contractual obligation to fulfill, so dumping all of them may take some time.

This recent suday I was wanting to watch the highway thru hell show, but of course they decided to go national for a damn storm! Isn't there tv stations that would of covered it locally?
This is why The Weather Channel has limited value today. I presume my locals are no different than everyone else's - when there's anything above a heavy rain, they get h***-ons over it, interrupting programming or breaking in repeatedly. Many people appreciate that.... The problem with TWC doing similarly is, what sort of weather event affects everyone nationally ? If they're covering a hurricane in Florida, tornadoes in the central plains states, etc, yes, the people in those areas are very interested, but people in other areas only watch it out of concern, curiosity, etc. They don't need to watch it for "safety" (something TWC claims they offer - they do, of course, in specific areas at specific times).

TWC can't localize their coverage though - they can't do hurricane coverage in AL, FL, GA, SC, etc and show reality shows elsewhere.

I know there are a lot of haters of TWC out there, and I pretty much gave up on them when they started with all of the reality crap, but when it comes to reporting a major storm they're hard to beat. Especially the field reporting with Jim Cantore, Mike Bettes, and others. The channel itself, from beginning to end, is head and shoulders above Weather Nation. The on-air talent is much more seasoned and polished. One is major league; the other is minor league, IMO.

I'm glad to see them back. I just hope they honor their pledge and stick with what they do best - reporting weather.
Why, They Simulcast major events on the local NBC from TWC.

Remember Directv doesn't see this forum so they don't know or pretend to know that most of us hate TWC for their reality shows, They cater to complains on Facebook and Twitter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

...TWC can't localize their coverage though - they can't do hurricane coverage in AL, FL, GA, SC, etc and show reality shows elsewhere.
If they're going to call themselves a weather channel, they shouldn't be showing reality shows at all.

The very public dispute between DirecTV and TWC was ostensibly over money -- TWC says it wanted an additional cent per DirecTV subscriber per month, which it didn't get, but according to the Wall Street Journal even the small increase it received to its current 13-cent-per-subscriber rate is a victory:

Any increase marks a retreat for the satellite operator, the second biggest pay-TV company, which serves about 20 million subscribers. DirecTV had wanted to severely reduce the fees it pays Weather Channel, the Journal has previously reported, arguing that consumers were growing more reliant on the Web and mobile devices for weather information.

http://www.thewire.com/business/2014/04/the-weather-channel-returns-to-directv-back-to-basics/360361

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)