This industry needs to be regulated

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
So fulfilling your end of the deal (paying your bills on time) should logically be considered extraordinary?
Do you have any idea what the percentage of people out there that dont have a missed or late payment or o paying at all .... sounds like this commitment thing is specifically to prevent that.

Every 2 years when we get a new iPhone AT&T starts the contract anew. The devices still cost like $200 but really they are $800 devices.

Don't like directv? No ones putting a gun to your head. Leave anytime and it's just $20 per month in contract ($480 if canceled in the first month). Can't afford it, then go to the lowest package they offer and do the math when you can afford to pay the cancellation.

Maybe they should require 2yr contract at renewal for latest equipment (like HR44) but only do 12 or 18 month if your willing to accept an HR34. That way they can still put all the manufactured 34's to use.

Do you have any idea what the percentage of people out there that dont have a missed or late payment or o paying at all .... sounds like this commitment thing is specifically to prevent that.
Commitments do nothing to insure that people pay their bills on time. Being on autopay is the only mechanism at their disposal to that end.

Commitments are to ensure that they get their money's worth out of the 800+ dollars they laid out to set you up and anything they give away subsequently.

Commitments do nothing to insure that people pay their bills on time. Being on autopay is the only mechanism at their disposal to that end.

Commitments are to ensure that they get their money's worth out of the 800+ dollars they laid out to set you up and anything they give away subsequently.
Except MOST of the recvrs are not anywhere near $800.
The Genies, sure, but a simple SD or HD recvr is no where near that.

I doubt a Genie costs Directv $800, or anything near that.

Except MOST of the recvrs are not anywhere near $800.
The Genies, sure, but a simple SD or HD recvr is no where near that.
It is the combination of things that they "give away" that they need to recoup costs on.

The fact that they still collect a good chunk of change (perhaps covering DIRECTV's cost) for receivers that you don't own for those who don't get a free lease upgrade only helps to line their pockets.

The most recent financials for DIRECTV (Q2 2014) say that the SAC is $855. The commitment is designed to keep enough subscribers beholden to average out (along with those who are in it for the long haul) to paying off the equipment and maintaining their ridiculous levels of profit (21%).

I don't write the policies and I don't profess to defend them. That's uniquely the responsibility of an apologist. I'm simply suggesting that DIRECTV perceives costs that some may not have thought of.

And you made no mention of channels available .... or who it is.
The channel listing is 19 pages in length on a pdf format. I am going to try a txt file here. My original reply was about no contract, free HD etc. and not the # of channels

Attachments

• #chnl.txt
    23.4 KB · Views: 228
The channel listing is 19 pages in length on a pdf format. I am going to try a txt file here. My original reply was about no contract, free HD etc. and not the # of channels
Thats fine and dandy, but what good is the No Commitment or Contract IF the channels you wantbare not there ?

Thats fine and dandy, but what good is the No Commitment or Contract IF the channels you wantbare not there ?
I'm suspicious that wabbleknee is talking about Brighthouse and you don't really want to go head-to-head with them in terms of the channels they offer unless you're going to play the NFL ST card that it more than a little beat up.

Harshness you are correct. Between the 4 weekend NFL games, a Thursday night game and red zone, although not perfect, is a great deal. Other football that is so great is the cable company broadcasts local high school football. If I am not in the grandstands, I can watch my grandsons on TV. We have a massive amount of college sports available. Again, not to boast about cable, just was answering the OP on a non contract and free HD. I don't even have a contract on my cell phone. Cheers!

Harshness you are correct. Between the 4 weekend NFL games, a Thursday night game and red zone, although not perfect, is a great deal. Other football that is so great is the cable company broadcasts local high school football. If I am not in the grandstands, I can watch my grandsons on TV. We have a massive amount of college sports available. Again, not to boast about cable, just was answering the OP on a non contract and free HD. I don't even have a contract on my cell phone. Cheers!
The reason you can watch your sons football game on thier special channel is because the Cable company is LOCAL ...

In the city I live in the local cable company also shows all the local High School sports.
You say you can watch his games, how many times are you able to watch him LIVE on the channel ?

I'm glad your happy with your NFL choices ...
My question is, if I am in your shoes with your great NFL choices, Can you watch the Steelers play every week ?
Your situation is fine if you follow the Local team, not so much if you watch a team other than the locals.

We need less government oversight and more competition. More government oversight equals more taxes and less choice. Keep the government out of everything that isn't absolutely necessary. We need a strong national defense, some protection of our money & investments, some protection for those who are truly destitute and maybe the FDA & CDC other than that let competition and capitalism rule!
You forgot about a strong & equitable healthcare system just like every other modern first world economy. I agree with everything else.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You forgot about a strong & equitable healthcare system just like every other modern first world economy.
The US health care system would probably take a big hit if this were true and people didn't have to come here and pay cash to have procedures done that their own system has denied them.

The US health care system would probably take a big hit if this were true and people didn't have to come here and pay cash to have procedures done that their own system has denied them.
If they're not citizens how would they not continue to pay? If I visit Canada as a foreigner I have to pay for elective procedures & billed after for emergency ones. Just informing you before a moderator moves us onto The Pit, where I have no interest to be.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)