This is so awesome!

Another couple of questions. The only way I get something good in the distance is facing the yagi towards the transmitter (ex. KPLC is located on the 283* degree according to tv fool). Is there any antenna out there that has a double yagi that i can get the vhf low and vhf high together?. Maybe like a stacker or something. This RCA one I really have had it with and cannot fold the yaga part down like you did on yours. The second question would you recommend maybe two vhf antennas with the 8bay that way I can face one towards kplc and the other towards the Baton Rouge Market.....

(however two vhf could be a problem with connecting all 3 antennas together)

Another couple of questions. The only way I get something good in the distance is facing the yagi towards the transmitter (ex. KPLC is located on the 283* degree according to tv fool). Is there any antenna out there that has a double yagi that i can get the vhf low and vhf high together?.
you have no VHF low stations (except for that analog radio station in town);)
Yagi is the UHF part (FYI). I'm confused as to what you want to accomplish.

This RCA one I really have had it with and cannot fold the yaga part down like you did on yours.
come antennas when you fold them out you cant fold them back in. On my HBU22 I can fold it down but the elements cant be folded in. The only reason I did that (fold down the UHF portion) was because it wasn't being used at the time so no need it being there (plus it hit the bottom of the rotor)

The second question would you recommend maybe two vhf antennas with the 8bay that way I can face one towards kplc and the other towards the Baton Rouge Market.....

(however two vhf could be a problem with connecting all 3 antennas together)

yes connecting 2 VHF antennas together can be problematic. You can try and use a splitter in reverse then hooking the output to the VHF side of the combiner you will be getting (or have already). I guess have you tried to aim the antenna at BR and see if you get KPLC on the backside of it (since its closer than BR is). When I had a VHF only antenna aimed for a CBS/FOX combo 72 miles away I use to get the 2 Minneapolis stations just fine on the backside (and I was 30 miles away from the towers at the time). The other issue is there really isnt any VHF only antennas out there on the market unless you buy one 2nd hand or get lucky and find one (since they mainly arent made anymore).

I guess what are you trying to accomplish? As many channels as you can get or as many "diginets"? Reason I ask is between the 3 VHF stations (looking at rabbitears) you would get
NBC, This and Bounce in LC. I know one of them is switching to Grit in January
ABC, CBS, news, weather, Bounce and MyNet in BR

You already have This affiliate in Lafayette and Bounce is on both LC & BR stations. If you can get BR real well I'd aim the antenna that way. I guess if you really want Grit when KPLC changes it then worry about it then. Or do you prefer the NBC in LC? (just wondered....)

The other issue is there really isnt any VHF only antennas out there on the market unless you buy one 2nd hand or get lucky and find one (since they mainly arent made anymore).

There's a new high-band VHF antenna now being offered by MCM Electronics for $20. I bought TWO, and they work pretty well. They have about the same gain as an AntennaCraft Y5713, BUT they have a built-in 75 ohm balun.

I wish they had as much gain as the Y10713, but as you said, there's just no other ones really out there that come close: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2475-/30-2475?t=2&utm_expid=8634549-27.0czCl7fSQamjILoiAH9mgA.1&utm_referrer=http://www.mcmelectronics.com/search.aspx?C=0000000788

If you even think you might need one in the future, I'd grab some to keep stashed.

you have no VHF low stations (except for that analog radio station in town);)
Yagi is the UHF part (FYI). I'm confused as to what you want to accomplish.

come antennas when you fold them out you cant fold them back in. On my HBU22 I can fold it down but the elements cant be folded in. The only reason I did that (fold down the UHF portion) was because it wasn't being used at the time so no need it being there (plus it hit the bottom of the rotor)

yes connecting 2 VHF antennas together can be problematic. You can try and use a splitter in reverse then hooking the output to the VHF side of the combiner you will be getting (or have already). I guess have you tried to aim the antenna at BR and see if you get KPLC on the backside of it (since its closer than BR is). When I had a VHF only antenna aimed for a CBS/FOX combo 72 miles away I use to get the 2 Minneapolis stations just fine on the backside (and I was 30 miles away from the towers at the time). The other issue is there really isnt any VHF only antennas out there on the market unless you buy one 2nd hand or get lucky and find one (since they mainly arent made anymore).

I guess what are you trying to accomplish? As many channels as you can get or as many "diginets"? Reason I ask is between the 3 VHF stations (looking at rabbitears) you would get
NBC, This and Bounce in LC. I know one of them is switching to Grit in January
ABC, CBS, news, weather, Bounce and MyNet in BR

You already have This affiliate in Lafayette and Bounce is on both LC & BR stations. If you can get BR real well I'd aim the antenna that way. I guess if you really want Grit when KPLC changes it then worry about it then. Or do you prefer the NBC in LC? (just wondered....)

1. I will leave it like it is with just 1 vhf antenna. I thought I would ask just to see if it was an advantage but seems not.
2. Yes I was trying to get more diginets. However, the only diginets in BR come from WBRZ sister station 41, WBXH, and WLFT. I cannot get those
3. Yes I have Bounce in Lafayette only because I'm 45 miles from the KPLC transmitter. I can get WVLA good regardless, WBRZ the antenna must have the y part facing it or it wont come in. I like WBRZ because of the 24 hour weather and news. Yeah I prefer KPLC

If Lafayette ever launches grit, and it will in due time (the distant future) I will turn the antenna back to the east. However, WBXH and the grit/escape is scheduled to launch on the cable company i have sept. 1 which is unusual a mynet and its diginets from another market launches on your local cable. Beats me.

Oh well I may still end up putting the vhf on a seperate antenna whenever the preamp finally shows up.

Does the preamp make a difference as for getting a couple more channels. I have a regular amp but it does'nt make a difference in signal strength.

Thanks....

Reactions: Mr Tony
There's a new high-band VHF antenna now being offered by MCM Electronics for $20. I bought TWO, and they work pretty well. They have about the same gain as an AntennaCraft Y5713, BUT they have a built-in 75 ohm balun.

I wish they had as much gain as the Y10713, but as you said, there's just no other ones really out there that come close: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2475-/30-2475?t=2&utm_expid=8634549-27.0czCl7fSQamjILoiAH9mgA.1&utm_referrer=http://www.mcmelectronics.com/search.aspx?C=0000000788

If you even think you might need one in the future, I'd grab some to keep stashed.
yes sure thanks i'll keep it in mind. I seen the Y10713 has been discontinued.......seems it looks like a stong lightweight one that gets signals from a distant. A lot of these heavy jet airliner looking ones are too heavy and dont get what they claim to get. I booked mark the link you posted....

1. I will leave it like it is with just 1 vhf antenna. I thought I would ask just to see if it was an advantage but seems not.
2. Yes I was trying to get more diginets. However, the only diginets in BR come from WBRZ sister station 41, WBXH, and WLFT. I cannot get those
3. Yes I have Bounce in Lafayette only because I'm 45 miles from the KPLC transmitter. I can get WVLA good regardless, WBRZ the antenna must have the y part facing it or it wont come in. I like WBRZ because of the 24 hour weather and news. Yeah I prefer KPLC

1. OK
2. What can't you get? Alot of the BR stations (outside of the Big 4) look to be low powered stations.
3. WVLA is on UHF so moot point. Your only BR stations on VHF are 2 & 9 (ABC & CBS). Due to the distance with BR, you need to aim the antenna (as you noted) towards BR to get them to come in.

If Lafayette ever launches grit, and it will in due time (the distant future) I will turn the antenna back to the east.
Honestly dont worry about the future and who is possibly adding what until you have confirmation of a launch date and or seeing it on the TV ;)

However, WBXH and the grit/escape is scheduled to launch on the cable company i have sept. 1 which is unusual a mynet and its diginets from another market launches on your local cable. Beats me.
I don't have cable so don't know the exact rules of each market ;)
Does the preamp make a difference as for getting a couple more channels. I have a regular amp but it does'nt make a difference in signal strength.
depends on a lot of factors. But my pre-amp works better than just an amp because it has higher gain (25 vs 20) ;)
A pre-amp isnt the end all for picking up distant signals. It **may** help but dont expect miracles

A preamp can not get in a signal that's not even received by the antenna. However if it's at least received (even if just at threshold but not decodable) a preamp MAY help. As Iceberg said. A preamp though will also amplify all other signals, and your stronger stations MAY then over-power the weaker one, and keep it from being very watchable. Though there are measures you might be able to do in that case to balance the signals and make them all watchable.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Ok here is the latest, if you are a real fan of Solid Signal, GREAT, I wont say anything bad about them but they really burn my butt with selling stuff and then when you order its not in and takes for ever to show up or they send you what they think is better. If Iceburg says buy this kind buy it, DO NOT LISTEN TO the lady on the phone from SS. Then it says next day shipment but they do not have it in stock.

my pre am is back ordered till Sept. 11
I did go buy a splitter and some wire and another bracket set.
I have two 10 foot poles and I am thinking about taking the yagi and putting it on that (2 10 foot ones) a little higher up than the 8 bay which at 18 feet I can get channels real well. Well I been down with a sever cold and well I get up yesterday morning to go do my next project and I can barely walk. So whenever I get better I will go and do this.

On the splitter which side does the vhf and uhf go in. And if the splitter works that blonder tounge thing is going to the shelf.

What pre-amp did you order? You might be able to cancel that order and order from someone else.

Ironically I placed an order with solid signal on Thursday for a new antenna and it's coming to my house on Tuesday. Its their version of the xg91. it's possible some of those parts may no longer be readily available.

Otherwise that company that PrimeStar31 posted a link to for that VHF antenna does carry a VHF UHF combiner. It was like 7 bucks. Let me try and find the link for it.

I was able to be well enough to take the vhf antenna and put it on a separate pole, mast or whatever its called. I folded the other pieces in on the boom side since i cant fold the yagi in. The UHF is back where i had the vhf the first time on the highest point on side of the roof. The yagi is two feet to the side. . They are a lil close together but everything came out good and Oh even get KPLC real good with the yagi facing Baton Rouge (WVLA/WBRZ) The preamp supposed to arrive week after next. The 14th. Now I sit back and wait for grit and I guess little sister escape to launch.

My next door neighbor has a tower system....some pics from the roof of my house
Funny thing is I know what stations she is watching just by which way the antenna is turned ;)

IMG_20150908_110323_109.jpg IMG_20150908_110323_109-1.jpg IMG_20150908_110329_438.jpg IMG_20150908_110335_336.jpg

Reactions: wallyhts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts