Titanium Satellite Hardware Modification: 22KHz/DiSEqC 1.2 Pass-through and Increased STB Compatibil

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm using a TeVii S464 PCI tuner with MyTheatre. MT has a really good motor control panel. Unfortunately it's missing the same thing as the ASC1, resync/shift commands. This happens on both polarities both C and Ku, tone/no tone. I have not spent a lot of time and effort to diagnose the problem. My skills are lacking in this area. I don't have an adaptor for my multi-meter/scope for working with coax. As this issue is very technical in nature, I will not be much help in addressing the problem. I also will not expect you to be able to fix it for me as if by magic ;). I will do what I can and learn as I go. I have other ASC1s to work with. I will try just doing the pass-thru modification and not the compatibility fix and test that. I will also try it with a microHD.

Mine has been working fine since the repair using a microHD and Nano HD. The microHD is the receiver that first I noticed not taking the commands. After the repair it is working. I will spend more time today and tomorrow working with it, and power cycling it to see if I can duplicate your issue. Could be your tuner card is not always sending out clean commands. Do you have a regular STB to test with to see if it acts the same?

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, the ASC1 will ship tomorrow. Its only a day away!!!!!

In my best Broadway voice, while tap dancing in tails and a top hat, twirling an umbrella and dancing up a light post.... in the rain, with the Jersey Boys singing back-up.

I am having issue with DiSEqC 1.2 commands. The ASC1 most often doesn't respond to the first call. It has to be repeated.
Going to go out on a limb and suggest that PCI cards are notorious for low DiSEqC/22KHz levels.

Try this and report: Add a 6.8K or 10K resistor (1/4 watt, 5% or about) from the left pin of D111 to ground. This may bring up the amplitude and drive the ASC1 better with an extremely weak 22KHz source signal.

In my best Broadway voice, while tap dancing in tails and a top hat, twirling an umbrella and dancing up a light post.... in the rain, with the Jersey Boys singing back-up.

Metal umbrellas can be dangerous in the rain... ;^) I'm sure you wouldn't want to try THAT one again!

Going to go out on a limb and suggest that PCI cards are notorious for low DiSEqC/22KHz levels.

Try this and report: Add a 6.8K or 10K resistor (1/4 watt, 5% or about) from the left pin of D111 to ground. This may bring up the amplitude and drive the ASC1 better with an extremely weak 22KHz source signal.
I have both of those resistors on hand. I'll give it a try.

I installed a 10k resistor. Now the ASC1 hears the first call and sometimes hears a call incorrectly, confuses a call for POS 27 as POS12 sometimes. But after an hour it doesn't hear anything :( . probably could have done with the 6.8k there but the quitting after an hour thing hasn't changed. It was responding very well until it stopped. It didn't become intermittent first.

Whenever I hear that line I think of Shirley Temple ;)

Without a scope, we are just throwing things at the wall to see what will stick. Not the best way, but at least we are making progress. Try the 12K component. Bet it will work if the 6.8 did nothing and the 10K was better.

Do you have a cheapo signal meter that shows 22KHz ON/OFF? If so, put that in line between the PCI card and the ASC1 and see if the LED blinks when issuing the DiSEqC commands. Note the brightness of the 22KHz blinking when the STB is on 13Vdc output (Vertical TP). When the DiSEqC commands are no longer being recognized, see if the LED still lights up to the same brightness on 13Vdc output. If the LED blinking is the same brightness, the card is still issuing DiSEqC commands and likely at the same amplitude. If the LED is no longer blinking, the card is not putting out the DiSEqC signal. If the LED is less bright, the card is issuing DiSEqC commands at a lower level.

You don't need any special adapters to connect the scope to the coax. Turn on the PCI Card's 22KHz tone and DiSEqC 1.0 - A. Set the scope to 200mV div /500ms and you should see something like this from a unit with a low 22KHz amplitude:
minihd_13v_22KHz_ON.jpg

Here is a capture with the same scope setting but from a STB with higher 22KHz levels:
GenericSTB_13v_22khz_On_w-diseqc.jpg

Last edited:
We have succeeded in improving the DiSEqC signals, but the issue of the ASC1 becoming unresponsive to movement commands after awhile is a stopper. When this happens the East and West buttons stop functioning also. It is like something gets hot and quits. After a cool down it functions for awhile again.

Titanium Satellite Hardware Modification: 22KHz/DiSEqC 1.2 Pass-through and I...

This is a first generation unit and is being replaced for free. Does it have a hardware issue? Maybe? Does the problem happen due to low signal or other issues with the PCI? Maybe?

If you are hoping to continue to use this unsupported 1st generation unit, try troubleshooting with a can of component chiller to identify if a component is possibly heating and failing. Without a scope it is difficult to identify where this problem is initiated. Could be related to the PCI card or the ASC1.

To keep information straight between first generation units (without a serial number) and second generation (with serial number), let's be clear with future posts if a unit is the unsupported first generation unit or 2nd generation unit. Don't want any problems resulting from my decision to allow users to keep the first generation units! :D

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Don't get me wrong. I have no expectations of these first gen units. And not to confuse anyone but I would think this thread could only be taken as discussion of these first gen units :) My Bad , I started a thread without indicating it was the original units. I wasn't thinking there could be a problem in that part of the original version. Rather I was thinking I have an issue elsewhere but was trying to eliminate some possibilities. Working with this unit has been educational and inspired me to repair my failed VBox X which is like a box of Tinker Toys compared to the ASC1. ;) But you're right, it's time to let it go.

I want this rework opportunity to be an educational and learning experience!

The control failure with your system is unrelated to the modification and I only suggest that this new subject be broken off to a new thread. With assistance from some of the advanced members, I am sure that we all could learn more about our electronics!

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Somebody decide to run their plow down the alley here. 30 minutes later there was a FedEx truck dropping a case of ASC1s for me :):):)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)