TiVo Launches the $400 TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB with lifetime subscription

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-storage-price-tivo-launches-121100312.html

From the article:

The TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB will be available for a one-time price of $399.99.

TiVo Roamio OTA features include:

Storage: 1TB (up to 150 HD hours)
Tuners: 4 tuners
Content navigation (at your direction):
  • SkipMode: Skip commercial breaks of recorded shows with the press of a single button
  • QuickMode: Watch recordings 30 percent faster with pitch-corrected audio
  • OnePass™: Consolidate episodes of your favorite shows available via Over-the-Air broadcast or via internet video services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Instant Video, and create a universal watch list across all providers
  • OneSearch™: Search across local channels and internet video services to find which shows are available and where they can be found
  • Casting: Cast your favorite Netflix and YouTube video from your mobile device to the TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB. No need to buy a Chromecast™ dongle; casting is built-in.

Tru Multi Room™ Video: Works with the industry-leading TiVo Minis. Live, Recorded and Over-the-Top (OTT) content with the same interface on every TV in your home, including power features such as SkipMode.

Compatibility with TiVo Stream: Stream and download live and recorded TV to iOS and Android™ smartphones and tablets, both in and out of home. Or watch your recorded shows on an Amazon Fire™ TV or Apple TV® in another room of your home.

Free mobile application: Manage your recordings on your TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB through remote OnePass management

Pricing and Availability

The TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB is available for $399.99, a one-time payment including TiVo service. The TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB will be available May 2, 2016 at TiVo.com, BestBuy.com and Amazon.com, and at participating Best Buy stores.

Oh wow. .. great timing ...

Just yesterday had to order the 1 TB WD My Book DVR Expander for my TIVO Roamio OTA since recording HD in the less efficiently compressed MPEG-2 of ATSC broadcasting eats up 500 GB stock HDD so quickly.

Cost me ~$156.00

Guess I should have waited and saved my pennies, but really thought TIVO was done with Roamios as well as the OTA only model idea and was just concentrating on maketing the Bolt for both CATV and/or OTA solutions.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Oh wow. .. great timing ...

Just yesterday had to order the 1 TB WD My Book DVR Expander for my TIVO Roamio OTA since recording HD in the less efficiently compressed MPEG-2 of ATSC broadcasting eats up 500 GB stock HDD so quickly.

Cost me ~$156.00

Guess I should have waited and saved my pennies, but really thought TIVO was done with Roamios as well as the OTA only model idea and was just concentrating on maketing the Bolt for both CATV and/or OTA solutions.

You do realize the TiVo is a breeze to just swap out hard drives. You could/still can just swapped out the 500gb stock drive with a WD 3TB drive cheaper

For the TiVo knowledgeable: Does it work with a sporadic wireless connection? If it placed it at our RV and turned on an iPhone Personal Hotspot, with a slow connection, would it download a few days EPG and let me set recordings for after the hotspot is off?

Does it also allow time based recordings beyond the EPG? Say, 15 days from now, record channel 31.2 from 7:55pm to 9:05pm?

You do realize the TiVo is a breeze to just swap out hard drives. You could/still can just swapped out the 500gb stock drive with a WD 3TB drive cheaper
Though I consider myself a techie, still how much of a "breeze" is it and since my Roamio OTA is now about a year old, is voiding the warranty by opening the unit any issue now?

For the TiVo knowledgeable: Does it work with a sporadic wireless connection? If it placed it at our RV and turned on an iPhone Personal Hotspot, with a slow connection, would it download a few days EPG and let me set recordings for after the hotspot is off?

Does it also allow time based recordings beyond the EPG? Say, 15 days from now, record channel 31.2 from 7:55pm to 9:05pm?

There are several users who have reported on the TiVo forums using mobile data connections as their primary internet. It will complain about not having a constant connection, but it will function for basic recording/searching, etc capabilities. You can "force" a network connection anytime you want to make it download data. If you forced a connection every 10 days or so, you should be fine on the guide. It can do manual recordings, so if you wanted to do as you described you can.

Though I consider myself a techie, still how much of a "breeze" is it and since my Roamio OTA is now about a year old, is voiding the warranty by opening the unit any issue now?

I'd keep the original hard drive in case anything ever goes wrong, but TiVo is fairly lenient about the practice. You need a Torx 10 screwdriver, the hardest part is finding the little clips that release the case. I bought mine from Weaknees, and it came with the screwdriver and instructions. You pop the case, unscrew the hard drive, pop the new one in. So long as you use a 3TB or less drive it automatically installs the software, etc when you boot it back up.

I actually own three Roamio's... one Roamio basic with an upgraded drive, and two Roamio OTA's. I bought one back when they ran a one shot deal of $199 with lifetime service, and I bought the second one in December planning to set it up for my parents. They decided to stick with cable boxes though, so now I made it an "extra".

Another neat "Trick"... the Roamio OTA is the same as the Roamio basic, only without the cable card slot. If you can find a used Roamio basic on eBay you can unscrew the cable card bracket from it, and your Roamio OTA becomes a Roamio basic.

Reactions: navychop
Varies. I think the tuners are fine. Better than the tuner in my Dish 722 but for the most part my locals are easy to get.

I upgraded the hard drives in all 3 of the Roamio Basics and the 1 Roamio OTA I bought last year. 2 of them have 3TB WD AV drives and 2 have 2TB WD AV drives. Removes the Torx screws off back, pop cover off, remove torx screws holding drive in. Replace with new drive power up and TiVo will redo setup and you are good to go again.

Sent from my iPhone

In my case the tuners are comparable to my TV. Keep in mind the TiVo does have four tuners though, so if you have a marginal signal going in on a station it might need a boost to be consistent

There are several users who have reported on the TiVo forums using mobile data connections as their primary internet. It will complain about not having a constant connection, but it will function for basic recording/searching, etc capabilities. You can "force" a network connection anytime you want to make it download data. If you forced a connection every 10 days or so, you should be fine on the guide. It can do manual recordings, so if you wanted to do as you described you can.

I'd keep the original hard drive in case anything ever goes wrong, but TiVo is fairly lenient about the practice. You need a Torx 10 screwdriver, the hardest part is finding the little clips that release the case. I bought mine from Weaknees, and it came with the screwdriver and instructions. You pop the case, unscrew the hard drive, pop the new one in. So long as you use a 3TB or less drive it automatically installs the software, etc when you boot it back up.

I actually own three Roamio's... one Roamio basic with an upgraded drive, and two Roamio OTA's. I bought one back when they ran a one shot deal of $199 with lifetime service, and I bought the second one in December planning to set it up for my parents. They decided to stick with cable boxes though, so now I made it an "extra".

Another neat "Trick"... the Roamio OTA is the same as the Roamio basic, only without the cable card slot. If you can find a used Roamio basic on eBay you can unscrew the cable card bracket from it, and your Roamio OTA becomes a Roamio basic.
Hummm ...

Hey, wouldn't know if TIVO has a return for refund policy on accessories like the DVR expander do they? ... lol

So...to do a multi-room setup, you would need the Roamio and a TiVo Mini, correct? Never owned a TiVo, but if anyone has a multi-room setup, does the multi-room work similar to a Hopper/Joey setup? Reliable?

Also, to make sure I understand the "Lifetime", that means no monthly charge for the OTA Guide data, correct?

So...to do a multi-room setup, you would need the Roamio and a TiVo Mini, correct? Never owned a TiVo, but if anyone has a multi-room setup, does the multi-room work similar to a Hopper/Joey setup? Reliable?

Also, to make sure I understand the "Lifetime", that means no monthly charge for the OTA Guide data, correct?
If I'm wrong someone please correct me as I'm still sort of new to TIVO. But I think the Roamio OTA is based on the Roamio Basic model which does not have built-in MoCA.

So to network it to the TIVO Mini over coax you will need a MoCA adapter for the DVR (the Mini has built-in MoCA). Or you will have to network them both over your home ethernet.

And I think it is yes to the second question. Its lifetime service so no monthly fee. Unlike me who is paying $14.99/mo. for my Roamio OTA ... sign ...

Works exactly like H/J. I have 4 Roamios (3 Basics and 1 OTA all with lifetime and 3 minis) The Roamio Basic and OTA does NOT have MOCA built in so you either need a Moca Adapter at the Roamio or you need to connect everything to your network via ethernet cable for whole home use. I used ethernet for the 2 minis and basic at my old home as I had wired that house with cat6 everywhere, my new house isnt hardwired so I use a Moca adapter. I also use a moca adapter for the OTA and Mini that I have at my dad's house and for the Basic at our Condo in Las Vegas, we just take a Mini with us, depending on who is going out there, to use in the bedrooms. The minis are just as fast as the Roamio itself. Skipmode is awesome as it works on not just the locals but on many cable channels too.

Lifetime means no fees for guide or dvr features for the life of the BOX.

Reactions: DWS44

Lifetime does mean no other fees. I have 5 Roamios and 2 minis all running over MOCA. Works great and is very reliable.

Reactions: DWS44 and osu1991

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts